Physical representation of the new logic gates.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I learned a lot of computing working with redstone which is a really good "physical" representation of how circuits work.
    Redstone gets a bit hard to grasp once you get to trying to make sense of simple circuits like this

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Redstone gets a bit hard to grasp once you get to trying to make sense of simple circuits like this
    I've not built an adder before but considering I've built much more complex circuits I could easily build one based on this picture.

You just need to know how to build the various gates which Starmade is bypassing.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    I learned a lot of computing working with redstone which is a really good "physical" representation of how circuits work.
    redstone is not actually that good at showing you how logic gates work, it is convoluted and buggy. The system that is going to appear in starmade will be much better.

Reactions: Jaaskinal
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    redstone is not actually that good at showing you how logic gates work, it is convoluted and buggy. The system that is going to appear in starmade will be much better.
    Yeah the system had to be implemented in a way that made sense to the game design but because you have to build every single logic gate you can get a firm grasp on the concept over just putting prefab logic gates down. I'm not saying everybody can understand it that way but redstone has taught a lot of people basic circuitry, probably well beyond what Starmade can because it's not an over simplified system. The system being introduced in Starmade makes perfect sense for Starmade and I look forward to it and I've directly opposed the idea of a wire based system being added into Starmade.

Reactions: ante185

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For a combat AI, you need proximity sensors.
    You need not only weapon control, but also aiming.

A combat AI is not possible with the current logic gates.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have no doubt that a fully functional computer could be made in SM. We have the gates, getting everything to work would be a pain, but hey, same thing in minecraft.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    it will be a very simple computer at best.

but maybe i'll make my calatheas cityship include a database zone in place of where normally i'd put a residential area...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Seeing that we can control lights with theses there's no doubt in my mind that we'll see some sort of screen sooner or later.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Some kind of ALU controlling an LED screen?

hmm.....
    If we can crank up the view distance (The longest we have now MIGHT not be long enough) we'd most likely be able to make a screen with multicoloured pixels, like RGB but possibly even more coloured lights!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    levels would be the problem though. The lights can only do on/off

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm sure it won't take some engineer long to make a calculator with a full 7 segment display and keypad.
    Not hard at all to make a seven segment display, nor an adder, or a calculator that adds (not sure about multiplication), I've already created a sketch up of what that will look like (presuming we can connect to more than one gate from one input and one gate can accept more than one input per input area)

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Not hard at all to make a seven segment display, nor an adder, or a calculator that adds (not sure about multiplication), I've already created a sketch up of what that will look like (presuming we can connect to more than one gate from one input and one gate can accept more than one input per input area)
    Once you get an adder set up, it doesn't seem like that much of a logical leap to multiplication.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Once you get an adder set up, it doesn't seem like that much of a logical leap to multiplication.
    it probably isn't I just haven't thought about it (I was going to try to make a clock once this stuff gets added)