Recognized Physical Effects to Weapons

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I think it might be fun to add small amounts of innate push to cannons and missiles or at least a little bit of screen shake when weapons impact.

Small amounts of push would create a bit more realism when a large ship fires on a smaller one. Moving the target just a little bit.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Would be quite cool to hit a little ship with a massive cannon and see it fly off into space.

Reaction score
    Would be quite cool to hit a little ship with a massive cannon and see it fly off into space.
    Well there's the push effect for that.
    But other than for roleplaying [or maybe some next-level-shit uber hyper-advanced hit and run tactics] theres little worth in using (and loosing) your tertiary slot for that. Exspecially when taking the damage loss into account and you are just looking for a gimmick.
    So i kinda see your point.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I agree with this idea. I do believe that it would add a bit of realism. For example, when I was serving in the navy we had heard a rumor that when those big real life battle ships would fire all their 13" guns at the same time it would would move the entire ship over by 10 feet or so. Granted it wouldn't be a very big effect, but it would be cool.

So a small temporary push effect being applied to the target and the ship firing the weapon, being applied to missiles and cannons would be cool.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    At one point cannons did have inherent push effect. I may have only been in a dev release.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Significant ship movement due to simultaneous broadsides are a big fish story. Ships are massive compared to the shells fired, the modern guns have massive recoil systems, and the water pressing against the hull provides a massive friction environment to hold the ship in place. Pictures may make it look like there is a wake where the ship "used to be", however, this is an illusion. The water is disturbed by the massive blast-wave. I've included some links below that discuss the issue in detail, including hard math.

However, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a fun game mechanic. However, the push effect should be minor, relative to the weapon system. That is, it should only have a little impulse with every shot. (ever-so-slight movement, so that you have to really look at the ship to see the relative motion.) Even a massive blast against a small vessel should induce only a leisurely slow-rolling drift.

Do Battleships move sideways when they fire?

Does a battleship move in the water when it shoots a full salvo? [Archive] - The Firing Line Forums

Reactions: alterintel

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thanks for the links :)

I had never thought to actually look it up. I'm not surprised however, ever body likes a big fish story.
    However, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a fun game mechanic.
    I agree with you on this one. it would be cool. Also since there is no friction in space, the effect may even be a bit more believable?

Reaction score
    In space, a cannon discharge of the magnitudes reached by some vessels would be.....significant. Launching a missile much less so, but the thrust wash of a missile leaving the tube would push against the ship somewhat.....but not much compared to ship size.

But a cannon shot? Firing a solid mass like that invokes Newton's Laws and pushes the firing vessel backwards, significantly. Or, rather, it would. Similar effect on impact. A missile hit of good size against a vessel will push it, a cannon will push it somewhat, and a beam would apply a negligible force (Photoelectric effect type stuff----photons can generate some force, but not enough to move something an appreciable distance.....unless that something should explode or start venting molten material from the impact site)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In space, a cannon discharge of the magnitudes reached by some vessels would be.....significant. Launching a missile much less so, but the thrust wash of a missile leaving the tube would push against the ship somewhat.....but not much compared to ship size.

But a cannon shot? Firing a solid mass like that invokes Newton's Laws and pushes the firing vessel backwards, significantly. Or, rather, it would. Similar effect on impact. A missile hit of good size against a vessel will push it, a cannon will push it somewhat, and a beam would apply a negligible force (Photoelectric effect type stuff----photons can generate some force, but not enough to move something an appreciable distance.....unless that something should explode or start venting molten material from the impact site)
    That is, when assuming cannons shoot projectiles and not charges :P

I like the idea of a ship shaking when hit by a missile, must be scaled properly but I would like tho.

Reaction score
    Well, cannons shoot something capable of destroying blocks.....so, given the fact that it's called a "cannon", probably means that it shoots something a little more....exciting than energy.

That said, a short science lecture on why ALL weapons would produce some movement depending on hit strength and damage done:

//Begin physics

In space, if something flies off your ship in one way, you go the other way with an equal amount of energy. When we hit blocks with energy, they vaporize and fly off the ship with a decent amount of energy. Therefore, any weapon that destroys a large enough number of blocks relative to the ship's total size will propel it with significant velocity AWAY from the impact site.

So when your capital hits a tiny little fighter with a missile, the fighter (What's left) is gonna go flying off the other way.

//End physics

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I agree with nightrune and strongly support this idea. It would have to be balanced since it could affect combat, but it would be a really nice feature.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm not so sure about having my ship flying of, but i agree, there should be SOME feedback. But i don't care if thats the friendly ai voice telling me "ship damaged", "shield on 10 percent", "hull breach" (if there were realy some blocks flying away) or an shake of the screen acording to the impact. As long as it dosn't render my flying abilities useless.

Reaction score
    Oh, right, shields.....New idea: 50% of impact damage from cannons and missiles that is used up on the shields (I.E., hit shields with cannon round, cannon round doesn't go through) is transferred into motion on the target, sending it away from point of impact.

PHYSICS:
    The purposes of our energy shields are to absorb energy, stopping attacks from damaging the hull. However, absorbing this energy is probably going to be in a fashion that spreads it out, turning it into a push rather than a punch-through situation. If you've ever watched Mythbusters, you've probably seen them use steel plates or similar protection to absorb more energy out of a gunshot. This is the same principle: Invincible shields are used to protect what's behind them, but because more of the energy is absorbed, there's more motion than if the projectile passes through the target.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    A nice suggestions. As we move into immersion building, I am sure this will come up. Likely toggle-able.

Reactions: nightrune