Physical block connections

Physical connected blocks only ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I want to hear your opinion about physical block connections.

For one, the lack of any physical block connection needed allows for the construction of some fancy things like floating "drones" or other decorational parts around a ship.

On the other hand though, it also allows for turrets to be build in a way that they can rotate around a ship as a floating part, giving it complete coverage in all directions with no dead angles. This is arguably a big advantage and is not the way you would a turret expect to behave, putting everyone else who uses traditional, physically hull-mounted turrets at a disadvantage at the cost of "realism".

Is this bothering anyone ? Should there be made efforts to enforce physical block connections ?

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    just so you know this is a bad idea, and if you want only connected blocks to work there is a setting, but don't use it as it is very very buggy, and you will find that you cant build ships easily because you have to keep too many blocks just to stop it from falling apart.

also in this game there are different styles, and such someone might want to make a futuristic ship that has floating "ball" turrets as I call them. and like you people build hull based turrets, but more often than not they build them recessed into the hull so your suggestion would break even those "normal" turrets.

I generally prefer the current way of building, because I can easily make some cool shapes without running the risk of that massive section falling off into space.

also hull mounted turrets are generally more powerful and you can have more of them, "ball" turrets are not usually found in large numbers on ships and are not as powerful. (usually)

and besides some of the most effective hull mounted turrets are enclosed "ball" turrets as they then have a near 360 aim in any direction, and you would call them realistic because it is a hull mounted turret, so I don't think this is a good suggestion, as I will ruin most ships, ruin key parts of gameplay and also prefer only one party of people, the current system does not prefer anyone more than the others and allows for some very creative turrets.

and as I sometimes say, this is not space engineers

Reaction score
    Thank you for that digression but just to clarify, this is not a suggestion, as can be told by the first and last line of my post "I want to hear your opinion ..." and "Is this bothering anyone ? Should there be made efforts to enforce physical block connections ?".

I wont rule out the possibility that I am overlooking an aspect of the game would render the system discussed here impractical, hence I am asking for input.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Breakoff already exists, however it is buggy as hell and thus is disabled by default. Wait for a later update to fix that and then you'll have it as an option at least.

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    well you can enforce it in the config files...but it isn't worth it, because most ships have floaty bits and would not work otherwise.

and my opinion on this, meh, you build how you want to but that doesn't mean you have to force others to build like you. so no to enforcing it.

and nope it isn't bothering me, the only thing that bothers me about it is that hull mounted turrets with full contact in large numbers cause a lot of lag compared to a "ball" turret

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't think there should be any requirement for physical block connections. I have seen some beautiful builds that use blocks separated by space for various effects. I guess such builds would still be possible if you allow "area triggers" or "cargo modules" to function as physical block connections. However, the idea of requiring connective blocks seems too restrictive, at a time when we are constantly looking for new, original builds.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    i've used both styles when building for different "races"the unconnected look more tech advanced to me in some builds and I use regular turrets for the more "humanoid"creatures.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    no physical connections is the reason why i play this game instead of Space Engineers. The fact that everything needed to be actually touching one another and the ridiculous collision physics that made massive space ships feel like they were made of glass instead of metal is what put me off and limited my creativity.

This mechanic allows for more interesting game play as well as more interesting meta. In my experience gyroscopic turrets as they are called arnt broken because they arnt modular in any way. they require specialized designs in order to fully realize their capabilities. Theres a lot of truly amazing designs that make use of this mechanic