Phasers, tricorders, and custom character models.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Star Trek, one of th most iconic Sci-fi/space exploration series of all time, has many features in it that Starmade must incorperate. I love Starmade, buy I think it lacks two things, phasers and custom characters. So, currently, we can go to planets and mine resources, wouldn't it be cool if there were alien species on those planets, who when you landed, tried to kiill you. Wouldn't it also be cool if you could whip out a phaser type gun and disintigrate them? I say so.

My friends and I want to create a story based youtube series in Starmade about an intergalactic war. One problem. Because there's only one character model currently in Starmade, there is no way to differentiate the character's looks, and therefore distinguish characters. It would also cause another minecraft like craze where players would get so obsessed about their skins, not just their ships, they would feel even more pride in their creations. Also, getting back to the first paragraph, players could customize their guns, this would bring up new possibilites for factions to be identified by their clothing and equipment.

Both of these features could create interesting new PvP features, where a crew of one faction's ship, could board an enemy ship, kill all off the crew, and steal the ship for themselves.

A tricorder is a device that allows someone to scan a certain area for life, gasses, and chemicals/ores. I think it would be cool to have someone fly down to a planet, scan it with their tricorder, and then decide if it was worth harvesting based on the mineral content.

I am in no way saying, "Steal these things fom Star Trek," but am suggesting that Starmade have their own versions of these things, because I believe that it would be a lot of fun and add another level of depth and immersion to the game.

Reaction score
    Just to differentiate, I\'d call it a scanner, and not a tricorder.

Reaction score
    a disaster. I don\'t want to see 50 space penises when I\'m playing, sorry. Not to mention that you would have to download each custom model, like with skins. Just a terrible idea.

Skins can differentiate between people just fine. You DO have a nametag above your head as well.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    How about a scanner beam, which can tell you the mineral composition, player presence and other things about a planet? And why not other ships as well?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    a nice touch would be a scanner that when shot at an object, tells you 1. what is it and 2. what is selling price at nearest shop

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think that this Is a great Idea and you should keep pushing for It Im gona make my own fourm post too to help the Idea Spread.

Reaction score
    I mean custom character models are not too easy to make for someone who has no knowledge in 3D modelling
    also Ghoschief if you\'re not the server admin probably you\'re one ask away from not seeing anything you don\'t want (ban the players with offensive models)

and why should your model be straight as a board while the skin looks like a female astronaught for example