Personal Firearms Construction

Reaction score
    I've had an idea for weapons that have as much customization as your ships.
    It would use these 'microblocks' called "Personal Weapon Modules(or something along those lines)" in a 150 by 150 by 400 microblock area, assuming that 300 of these microblocks would be the height of the player. Customization would be accessible via your inventory.

There wouldn't be any form of reload(for sake of the animator's sanity), but there would be overheating and weapon power. Overheating increases until it overheats. When it overheats, the weapon is unusable. The time it's unusable for depends on the number of heat distributors you have(I'll explain below).

Blocks:
    - Weapon Module
    Ship core for your gun.

- Weapon casing
    Basically hull. All colors. Makes your gun look pretty.

- Micro Reactor
    Reactors for your gun. Works similarly to the way they work on ships.

- Battery
    Power Capacitors for your gun. Works similarly to the way they work on ships.

- Heat Sink
    The surface area of the weapon modules that is covered by a heat sink determines how long it takes a weapon to overheat.

- Heat Distributor
    The number of distributors that are open to the outside of the weapon determines how long it takes after the weapon overheats until it's usable again.

- Blaster Module + Blaster Comp
    Same as the AMC for ships but on a smaller scale.

- Rocket Module + Rocket Comp
    Same as the missiles for ships, however when you combo rocket comps with rocket comps it only creates the shotgun effect, not the automatic lock on effect(because that would be way OP for 1 vs many and would be completely useless in a team scenario, so it would encourage 'lone wolf' tactics, which isn't necessarily a good thing).

- Beam Gun Module + Beam Gun Comp
    Same as the Damage Beams for ships but on a smaller scale. Provides lock on effect to Rocket Modules.

- Pulse Gun Module + Pulse Gun Comp
    Similar to the Damage Pulse for ships, except only directed forwards. When combo'd with itself, it increases cone of effect and damage. When combo'd with others, it increases damage.

- Autoheal Gun + Autoheal Comp
    Works like an astrotech, except on people(Unless astrotechs already work on people, in which case nevermind.)

All other modules similar(astrotech, power drain, etc).

At the same time, as mass increases, overall player speed decreases. This creates an incentive to create small weapons for normal use and larger weapons for combat.

Tell me what you think.

Reaction score
    Its an idea thats been suggested before, and I believe the devs are looking into it. I really hope it gets implemented.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I love this idea, but honestly, this is sounding like something that would have to be done for every block. How about there are of course the base, "starter" weapons, which are the weapons for anyone who has just started. They could then get a workshop type thing on a station/planet, and use that to create new personal weapon which you can name, etc. and with the amount of different options to create your weapon design from, you could sell it as a special rare weapon on the market, and use that in a multiplayer server to make money in a somewhat more unique way. This would also allow for a large variety of weapons in combat, and create some serious depth in perfecting one's weapons systems.

I also would like to make a change to the weapon parts. I believe that a lot more could be done if you replace the standard weapon parts (cannon, beam, missile and pulse) with these:

Weapon Base (the base part for determining the weapon type)

-Energy Stream
    The energy stream creates either an ion or EMP effect when it hits a target.

-Micro Particle Accelerator
    This creates a ready to use micro-antimatter particle, it creates an explosive effect when it hits a target.

-Conventional Loader
    This prepares conventional weaponry for use in the weapons, creates either a punch-through or piercing effect when it hits a target.

-Nanite Paste Dispensary
    This allows a massive swarm Nanites to viciously break down parts of the enemies ship, creates a new rotting effect, which eats away at blocks in a wide radius overtime, when it hits a target

Firing Types (determines how the Weapon Base is fired)

-Beam Stream
    The Beam Stream uses more energy to create an endless and seamless stream of the weapon.
    +Fire Rate
    +Energy Consumption
    +Ion Damage
    -Damage

-Accelerator
    The Accelerator accelerates the base weapon so fast, that it starts to become antimatter, creating babby explosion.
    +Damage
    +Energy Consumption
    +Projectile Speed
    +Explosive
    -Fire Rate

-Extremely Quick and Strong Projectile Dispensary
    The EQSPD fires the projectile at rather conventional speeds, with rather conventional firing rates, effectively the normal cannon.
    +Damage
    +Fire Rate
    +Punchthrough
    -Projectile speed
    -Energy Consumption

-Ramming Sphere
    The Ramming Sphere is effectively the damage pulse, it creates a sphere of damage that you don't want to touch.
    +Damage
    +Energy Consumption
    +Pull Effect

If you add these in, it will allow a more diverse and creative range of weapons that can be used! ^_^

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Clearly you have only read the title and not the suggestion. :p

OP was talking creating custom SHIP WEAPONS that were put together with lots of other parts, the thread that you linked was about weapons and such in astronaut mode.

EDIT: I have just realised that the original thread is indeed about firearms in astronaut mode. I feel very stupid now. However, what I thought it was creates an entirely new suggestion. Sorry about that. :p

Reaction score
    I was thinking in terms of having customization for those weapons, because starmade's customization system is actually really advanced and would allow for full customization of your weapons. As well, it would allow people to play around with it, tweaking it and making new weapons all the time, meaning that you don't have to wait for one of the developers to model, code and create a new weapon every time you want something new. It would take a load off the devs in the long run and would keep the playerbase entertained while they wait for big updates.

Reaction score
    In page 1-3 ish they mention using a voxel editor for weapons, armor, and robots

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the OP, but there's no reason to have different blocks for the weapons, we might as well just use the same blocks for those. Also a note on designing weapons: most of them tend to be long and thin, meaning that most weapons will have maybe 1/10 of their blocks not visible from the outside. Therefore, it would make weapons better if the cosmetic blocks and the blocks that determine the stats are handled seperately, with the only limit on the functional blocks the number of cosmetic blocks.