Brainstorm This Perfect turning system - no half-assed solution

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Definitely. This would be a wonderful addition to the game.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    come on schine where is the public relations...
    Agreed; as much as it would be a waste to do it for every single suggestion I wouldn't mind an official verdict on some of the more important and/or popular ones that haven't already been discussed... This being one of them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Agreed; as much as it would be a waste to do it for every single suggestion I wouldn't mind an official verdict on some of the more important and/or popular ones that haven't already been discussed... This being one of them.
    as useful as your comment may be, you're two months too late to be making it... ;-;

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Late on this post since I just saw it, but damn this is a good idea. I don't see anyone being opposed to this method. Not aesthetic builders or combat optimized builders.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Since the topic was resurrected, I'll deposit my two cents :

I respectfully disagree with this idea. It's too complex to have accurate numbers, not everyone has the will to look and pay attention to those formulas. As long as Titans and Dreadnoughts keep turning very slowly, since they are supposed to be that way I'm fine.

Also, I support this method instead in terms, in order to fight against the doom cubes.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I respectfully disagree with this idea. It's too complex to have accurate numbers, not everyone has the will to look and pay attention to those formulas.
    I'm not sure if I understand your problem, the only one who needs to understand the involved formulae is schema, and I'm sure it won't be a problem for him. In case it is I can explain it to him via chat or TS.

Reaction score
    Calculating the center of mass of these space crafts and keeping it updated, from a programming stand-point, would be a pretty trivial computation. It would be just a matter of adding a few more stats(i.e. mass*distance x, mass*distance y, mass*distance z) to the ship to keep a running tally of where the center is, if each block had a particular mass that would just be one more stat.

The calculation can be a running tally because for every block added you can just add that particular mass*distance to value it already has (and adding to the total mass if applicable). Similarly when a block is removed (either by salvaging it or by damage), updating the mass*distance can be done when the calculation to see if the block is removed is done. If the block is removed then the running tally is updated by adding the negative value of the mass*distance of that block to the total.

Also random note, no idea why you would want to direct your graphics processing unit to do arithmetic of this nature, that is the job of the CPU.

Reaction score
    YES, we absolutely need to separate acceleration and velocity for turning, if nothing else.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm glad this got bumped. Honestly, I don't understand people's objection to "necro-bumping" if something genuinely good gets buried. This is probably about as good as a turning system will get.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'd say as long as we are still waiting for an official comment and people are interested in this it's not really a necro.

Reaction score
    although i like it, (unless i missed it somewhere), it REALLY needs to take the direction of thrusters into account, a (poor) example
    being space engineers. (it's too reliant on thrust direction)
    but it seems simple, i suspect network wise, it'll probably be a nightmare of data management though. remember most entities in starmade move, which means ASTEROIDS will need to monitor this too...

Reaction score
    I'm all for realistic acceleration and turning, I've mentioned this thread, and others proposing improved mathmatical solutions to Schema. As for how thrusters and their direction face, you should have a read of my post detailing the current plan in that regards. Keep in mind that this does not include any of the specific "acceleration curves" that have been suggested, I'm not against using those in place of my % speed cap, but this post was written before the majority of those posts and its based on current game mechanics as much as possible.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/thrust-mechanics-explained.2696/

Reactions: Master_Artificer
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why is this thread tagged "Brainstorm This", are there any open questions?

Reaction score
    That's really up to a persons perspective, one can easily consider what has been said here and in other posts and make conjectures on what functionalities may be added or worked upon in regards to the plans for thrust. If you think that all is settled, thats fine, but I always find someone new has something to add. So I invited them to come up with further concepts if they wish.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That's really up to a persons perspective, one can easily consider what has been said here and in other posts and make conjectures on what functionalities may be added or worked upon in regards to the plans for thrust. If you think that all is settled, thats fine, but I always find someone new has something to add. So I invited them to come up with further concepts if they wish.
    Unless there are programming and/or optimization problems with the system originally suggested, this idea seems really solid.

And it has maths behind it.
    And actual, real-life physics.
    I can't beat that. I'm not sure anyone can. XD