Perfect StarMade Improvments and New Features wish List

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    -Hello there StarMaders, I was told by people to post here a list of almost special Features that were carefully designed to maximise the Game experience and Popularity to a full new level.

Before starting with the list, here's a small Briefing about what's all this post about.
    Feel free to skip it if u r not interested in reading.

First of all i want to congrats the StarMade team for all the good work i've seen they done i've been watching this community n' trying StarMade for a while, because a friend told me to try the game for him, can you believe what he told me? he said it was "minecraft on space"... yeah, that's what he said... and i was interested because it was free to play and it had a community with a trailers n guides etc, and so i started reading, n reading the devs n staff patches n updates, it took me a while to realize this Game's wasn't another "minecraft copy" as my friend told me, saw so much potential and the Staff that's working on the project is really cool with the players that need help and i just saw they really care all the time, my respects, so i do want to try and i think this right here could become one of the best Indie games of the year if it continues the actual direction, but an "OverDrive Module" could help make that happen faster.

So.. I've been watching all the staff notes, updates n' all the new additions and bug fixes, player complains and requests and i really got impressed by the quick and kind answers from the Admins n all the Community/Schine members.

So i wanted to help if possible by doing not a huge list of random "i want this and that" stuff, but the shortest & most efficient list of new features n improvments possible at the time, these would need to be original, unique, and specially they all need to add something that enchances and highlights StarMade above other Cube/Boxel games as much as possible by rocketing up to the stars the game experience while pushing it away from the completly wrong title "another minecraft copy" at the same time, so here's The Ultimate list titled Perfect StarMade (named by a guy that readed it before showing it to the world.)
    Be adviced "The list that you are about to see is not priority/name organized"

List formula explantation:
    #. Feature/improvment
    "Expanded Info about the subjet"
    -Example*

-Features-
    1. Trading System between Players & Factions.

-Info: The game already Features a good intuitive and well managed Player-Npc Shop Trading, that recreates the offer and demand economic system that its actually a really good feature that not many games have, but it can be compared to other Rpg games, what we want to do here, is an jaw dropping Sci-Fi Trade, showing the players something new and attractive, A Player-Player / Player-Faction personal Trading system that allows players to turn the old n primitive "trow/grab stuff" into a brand new and innovative trading system that only StarMade features related to the Sci-Fi Genere and beyond.

-Example: The best System idea given that exceed expectations was this one.
    A Storage Ship To Ship/Ship To Station Teleporting Trade, requiring a game specified minimal distance between the 2 Players that would be server-side configurable allowing more costumization to server hosts.
    • This system could be formed by a holografic Menu that pops up when a player established direct communication with the desired station/ship on his sector, Allowing for a safe, immersive and good looking interface that would allow Ship2Ship Storage exploration that could be shown up as the original Shop menu but instead of a "showing all blocks on sale" it would show Items stored on both trading players, allowing a Trade with a "bartend feeling" that enables players to set the ammount of blocks/items/goods to trade and determinate the Prize per Block/Total prize on each transaction they realize, allowing them to offer and counter-offer other players while on the safety of their own ships encouraging player comerce, communication & roleplay on a new level.

2. High Tech collectable Alien/Unknown Artifacts

-Info: Its Supposed to be a Classic Dungeon Hunting "Loot n Reward" style addition to the game, but with a original and again SM only Feature, by enchancing even furter the actual system of weapons costumization that's already implemented on the game and even adding new features to it, this way there'll be random generated locations of interest for players to explore and loot, by adding a set collectable Unique Artifacts/items enabling lots of amazing treasure hunting, exploration, game experiences and adding that reward feeling for players that manage to put their hands on these artifacts.
    These'll be supposed to boosts specific functions and enchance Ships/Stations and even Astronauts (if coded) or they can also grant special perks and abilities to outmatch and surprise your foes on battle at the same time.
    • •The original idea was an Ancient Runic Advanced Alien superior Races that once lived on the StarMade Universe, (this way we kill 2 birds in 1 shot) adding some Basic n beautifull Story while giving some "shape" to the game lore at the same time, they would be misterious and technologically superior, and for some unknown reason banished from the galaxy, leaving a lot of undiscovered High Tech Ruins/Temples/Ghost Stations on the actual or even special planets/locations, these would be abandomned and some even defended by its technology, awaiting for a brave astronaut to investigate and recover the unique artifacts hidden from the eyes n hands of mankind leaving Unsolved Mysteries n riddles for players.

• -Example: Making a Module/Block for Artifacts wich creates an empty "Slot" to introduce the artifact item, once active you would be able to recieve its effects if "passive" or being able to hotkey the module if its an "active" effect.
    • Examples of these effect could be increasing effectiveness or decreasing comsuption of certain values by a %, increasing defence against certain types of weapons, or being able to Temporarily detect jammed/cloacked ships for a short period of time or maybe just on the Radar that's not really used on battles, people mostly follow the red navs on their screens all the time, this way there's more battle tactics n variation against perma cloacked n jammed ships.

3. Ship Energy Management / ditribution

• -Info: Being able to change power from diferent systems to the shields/Weapons/Trusthers/Radars/Cloackers etc just like the Weapon combination/mixing system but with energy output usage, thus making ship systems get a 150% bonus efficiency by lowering other systems or increasing power comsuption Temporarily and even being able to choose and redirect the power of ur shields to one of the 6 faces of ur ship by lowering other sides damage resistance values etc.

• -Example: There's various ways to implement this feature, being a Hotkey Based Temporarily/Activate-Deactivate function, or by a menu wich lets you realize the same actions, or maybe both a Menu that lets you confiruge different combinations of power distribution and saves em as a hotkey item, or adding a block that enables that option and when you add this block and assign a custom power distribution to BlockModule on ur ship just like Weapon Computers.
    4. Advanced Astronaut Items

• -Info: Self explantatory. More items to make the Astronaut a bit usefull and more exiting.
    • Edit: the new repair tool and power supply tools are a really good start and players did appreciate its addition, specially the repair tool because pilots can now weld small ship damage and don't need to go build another ship and add Astrorepair cannons.

• -Example: A small list of really usefull and exiting weapons to enchance Gameplay are: Missile Launchers, Plasma Rifles, Phasers, Personal Radar Jammer (for stealth ops), Demo Charges, Personal Shield Gens, Thrusters boosters for enchanced PVP and more
    5. Space Mobs / Planet Mobs.

-Info: Any kind early insect/bug alien lifeform with a non-blockmade body (like the astronaut)
    Hostile Mobs that make the space life more interesting, like alien that stick to the hull and break blocks over time, or even some kind of space bugs that passively drain your power and lower ur energy output.
    Something that wildly appears to make ur day on space different.

Example: Planets that are full of Bugs like Alien burrowed Colonies that you can destroy or make em indestructible and make it like players can conquer em and build a facility to extract, refine and produce special alien resources that can be sold later to shops or used in new special craftings like chem explosive weapons.
    Other good idea is adding a "Alien Space Hive" that randomly spawns in player populated sectors from time to time that spawns small groups of mobs that attack distracted space travelers.
    Also there could be new blocks n recipes related to all these alien based stuff, like enchanced blocks that slowly self-regen etc.

I will do a separate post with the improvment ideas to keep it as clean as possible.​
    -Any Suggestions/Opinions are welcome, Please tell me what you think, do you like any ideas?

Reaction score
    Generally speaking, most of what you have suggested is either planned, or fits well with what we have planned, or is pretty close :D which proves to me that you really do keep up to date on what is being said, Kudos!

1. The majority of this suggestion is already planned im happy to say. Your additional suggestion of a ship-ship/ship-station beam activating a barter menu (instead of just a shop menu or directly transfering items without a menu) is a pleasantly novel concept, i like it.

2. I've talked with Schema in the past about collectable rare dungeon loot, and we would like to implement them, most likely in a sort of "socketing" or "potion/buff" sort of manner, or perhaps in a "buff while in inventory" kind of way, but yes, we agree with you on the principle of this being fun.

3. I have also discussed with Schema in detail a dedicated power system linkable to individual ship systems, its a concept i am greatly in favor of, though we must be careful not to break other game mechanics (dont want things to get OP) so the exact incarnation isnt confirmed or decided yet.

4. More astronaut gear is a definite confirmed, we've talked about it more than once, and theres some interesting game mechanic precedents we can easily base this kind of gear on, however we are holding off on adding them all in at once, as the focus of the game is on ships at the moment. In time there will be many more astronaut gear items.

5. A Fauna system is confirmed, and work on them is in progress (the Quads, displayed a while back are an early example of the game mechanics to enable fauna) As we continue to develop the universe generation, the spawning of creatures is definitely included in our plans.

Thanks for the time to put into researching these and the clean coherent post. Oh, and thanks for playing! :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    -Im glad to see you did take your time to read and answer with such detail on ur reply, Appreciate it.

I know that Developing a game isn't easy, it can be breath taking n frustrating sometimes.
    Materializing an idea into virtual reality is hard and the process takes time and pacience for sure.
    Also Glad to hear you found something usefull from the post.
    I just checked the updates, I didn't know if some ideas or features were already discussed or talked, and i didn't want to trow a hulk of hundreds of random ideas, but a couple of choosed ones that seem to fit the game like you said.
    (Talking about that, i was searching on the forums, is there a list of upcoming features of some kind? or
    something similar?)

Going back to the subjet, about the "Artifacts" or whatever they would be called the "socketing" was the word i forgot to mention that's exactly what i tryed to say and that potion/buff effect thing is also a really good idea, i liked it (don't know why i didn't think of that first :D)

Its good to know you have great plans for continuing such an epic quest on the way of game developing, i ll keep my eyes on you from time to time and i ll recommend my close friend to try StarMade on my networks.

Oh, and Before i forget.
    I took my time to find more info about your team, i found the StarMade twitter page on the way (now following its updates) and saw the new sidework you n kupu did with the glass colour code, extra customization is always good for boxel games, kudos!

-Greetings n thanks for the hospitality.

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Out of all of this, one idea really stood out to me:

• [blah blah ancient races blah abandoned structures blah]
    • Example: Making a Module/Block for Artifacts wich creates an empty "Slot" to introduce the artifact item, once active you would be able to recieve its effects if "passive" or being able to hotkey the module if its an "active" effect.
    • Examples of these effect could be increasing effectiveness or decreasing comsuption of certain values by a %, increasing defence against certain types of weapons, or being able to Temporarily detect jammed/cloacked ships for a short period of time or maybe just on the Radar that's not really used on battles, people mostly follow the red navs on their screens all the time, this way there's more battle tactics n variation against perma cloacked n jammed ships.
    This solves the issue with the artifact system I was thinking of... If Artifacts are items rather than blocks, they don't save between worlds/ship-loads. No idea how I didn't think of this, but... Regardless, it's an awesome idea. Wow.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Out of all of this, one idea really stood out to me:

This solves the issue with the artifact system I was thinking of... If Artifacts are items rather than blocks, they don't save between worlds/ship-loads. No idea how I didn't think of this, but... Regardless, it's an awesome idea. Wow.
    Im Glad you found it usefull, i've been hours thinking from a devs eye and re-editing the post to make it fit like a puzzle pieze.

Reaction score
    I like the trading idea. I would add to it to have a trading "hub" at each NPC shop (or a new NPC building called a Trading Hub). The hubs would all share the same inventory, as from a RP standpoint it would be the Trading Guild's job to shuttle items between the stations.

You could put items in the trading hub, set a minimum offer in credits, and maybe even a minimum offer in 1-3 other types of items, and then you leave the blocks there. You get notified via system mail when the items get traded, and then go to any trading hub to collect your items or coins. You would also be able to see the range of buy offers in the hub, so that if you wanted, you could set your minimum below or at them to have your items sell instantly.

When buying things on the trading hub, you could search by item, and it would show the maximum and minimum offer in credits, and you could then make a buy request with a maximum price per item. The system would go down the list of minimum prices, sorting by time if the offers were for the same amount, and fill them at the minimum price, until your order was filled or the minimum price was more than your offer's max price.

(I've basically taken the idea from the RPG gameRunescape, but when I played with that system it worked really well. Allowed the price of items to truly be controlled by supply and demand. I imagine many other RPGs use a very similar system as well.)

With this system, shop prices would also have to be set based on some formula of what the minimum/maximum trading prices are for the day/hour. Pretty much should be set at the minimum price for the past hour or so, with some formula thrown in to prevent people from selling one of an item at a really low price to their buddy, to drive down the shop price.

Starting with an empty, new trading system.
    The average price for hull is set to the old shop starting price (325 credits I think).
    • Adam offers to sell 100 hull for 250 each, and deposits the 100 hull in the trading center
    • Bob offers to sell 50 hull for 300 each, and deposits the 50 hull
    • Carl offers to sell 200 hull for 350 each and deposits the 200 hull

Dave offers to purchase 250 hull for 350 each, and deposits 87500 credits in the trading center (350*250).

Dave's offer is filled with:
    • 100 hull at 250 each from Adam, for a total of 25000
    • 50 hull at 300 each from Bob, total 15000
    • 100 hull at 350 each from Carl, total 35000
    Dave's offer was filled at a total cost of 75000, he is sent a mail saying he has 250 hull and 10500 credits available at the trading hub from his trade offer.
    • Adam is sent a mail telling him is offer was fully sold, and he has 25000 credits to pick up at the trading hub.
    • Bob is sent a mail telling him is offer was fully sold, and he has 15000 credits to pick up at the trading hub.
    • Carl is sent a mail telling him is offer was partially sold, and he has 35000 credits to pick up at the trading hub.
    There is now only one offer in the trading hub, the last part of Carl's, 100 hull at 350 each.
    The average selling price if all those transactions were in the same time period is 300 credits. The shop price would now be at ~300 credits.

Next, Earl posts a buy offer for 200 hull at 300 credits each. There's only Carl's offer on the hub, at 350 each, so none of Earl's order is filled.
    If Frank comes along and makes a sell offer of 500 hull at 250 credits each, Earl's offer is now filled for a total of 75000 credits, and both Earl and Frank get the appropriate emails.
    There is now both the rest of Carl's sell offer of 100 hull at 350 each, and the rest of Frank's, 200 hull at 250 each.
    The average is now 273 credits. At this point, Carl may realize that his offer might not get sold for awhile, so he could go and remove the offer, receiving remaining 100 hull back, and then remake the offer at a new price.

To help balance the economy, it may also be a good idea to limit buy offer min/max & sell offer prices to within a certain percentage of the average selling price. That would prevent two people from gaming the system to raise the prices, by one player posting a really high sell price, and another posting a buy price high enough to fill it, and then privately giving the items back to the first player, and rinsing and repeating until the average price is really high in the shops, and then selling the items to the shops.

I'm not quite sure how offers for item-to-item trades would work. Maybe the best solution would be to have them be a separate tab, and you could browse through them based searching for either the offer item or the request item, and the only way to trade would be to fill the offer completely. Or, that could just be left out. If the normal trade system is properly implemented, it shouldn't be an issue to make a sell offer for one item, and a buy offer for another. It would take a credit buffer, as you would have to deposit the credits for the buy offer, in addition to depositing the items for the sell offer, but other than that, if the server has an active enough economy, it would work.

Super cool, hard to implement bonus feature :D
    Allow server admins to enable their servers to have a shared trading hub with other servers (that they specify)!
    Ok, really, that's just wishful thinking, as I know it would be crazy hard to implement, but cool none the less!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just a few questions:
    • Why did the shop not purchase hulls when their price is so much lower than the shop price and other offers?
    • You would block offers at 50 to 200% of the price entered in the block-config? Needs prices dependent on recipes and smartly choosen shard/ore prices.
    Maybe the shop just tracks the value and does not buy/sell, but that would still leave the issue open that some ore/shards may be traded always for the highest price and others for the lowest.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Just a few questions:
    • Why did the shop not purchase hulls when their price is so much lower than the shop price and other offers?
    • You would block offers at 50 to 200% of the price entered in the block-config? Needs prices dependent on recipes and smartly choosen shard/ore prices.
    Maybe the shop just tracks the value and does not buy/sell, but that would still leave the issue open that some ore/shards may be traded always for the highest price and others for the lowest.
    The shop doesn't purchase at a lower price because as the benevolent capitalists they are, who have chosen to buy and sell at the same price, they are committed to staying out of the market. :p

I wouldn't limit offers to 50-200% of the price in the block config, I would limit them based on the current average price. The market should dictate the price, the limits are just in place to try and prevent people from manipulating the market in their favor.
    (The 50-200% limit just being an example. I would think the constraints should be lower than that by default, probably 75-125%. Of course, that should be in the server.cfg).

The only thing set in block config would be the base starting price for blocks, before anyone had traded them. After that, the price in the block config would be irrelevant. In an active server, the prices would naturally become dependent on recipes, as if they weren't, people would quickly balance that out by buying the items to craft an item, and then crafting it for a profit. As people did that, the prices would naturally change towards the recipe price.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I just worry about this leading to higher rewards when you are off-line because the USA/European/Asian peoples trade or for peoples already having an advantage by starting on this server earlier.

The time zone would chain you even more to your PC and that creates a bad game environment.

Reaction score
    I just worry about this leading to higher rewards when you are off-line because the USA/European/Asian peoples trade or for peoples already having an advantage by starting on this server earlier.

The time zone would chain you even more to your PC and that creates a bad game environment.
    Starting earlier on the server I don't think should be an issue; this type of update is something that servers would most likely want to do a universe reset for. Even if they didn't, we are in alpha, so a change like that shouldn't be held back because it might make older servers unbalanced to play on.

As to the time zone change, I am not sure exactly what you are saying. Why would a trade market not work because of different time zones?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Starting earlier on the server I don't think should be an issue; this type of update is something that servers would most likely want to do a universe reset for. Even if they didn't, we are in alpha, so a change like that shouldn't be held back because it might make older servers unbalanced to play on.

As to the time zone change, I am not sure exactly what you are saying. Why would a trade market not work because of different time zones?
    1. There are always peoples which aren't on the server when the prices aren't set (which may be a high-reward stage) and join after the prices are altered due to player-influence.

2. Just imagine you are in a time-zone 1 hour later than most peoples buying/selling.
    You will have to deal with higher shop prices for rare items and lower for stuff you want to sell, while if you are 1 hour before most the shops may have been recovered partially (trading sims, etc)

It depends on implementation, how the trading guild refills/takes stuff from shops, ...

Reaction score
    1. There are always peoples which aren't on the server when the prices aren't set (which may be a high-reward stage) and join after the prices are altered due to player-influence.

2. Just imagine you are in a time-zone 1 hour later than most peoples buying/selling.
    You will have to deal with higher shop prices for rare items and lower for stuff you want to sell, while if you are 1 hour before most the shops may have been recovered partially (trading sims, etc)

It depends on implementation, how the trading guild refills/takes stuff from shops, ...
    1. True. Hopefully default prices could be worked out to make the impact smaller.

2. If there are less people trading in general, item prices should be close to the same (since both supply and demand have gone down). Also, in my suggestion there is no reason you have to trade right away. If the prices are higher when you normally play, but you know they are lower during the day, you can set your buy to the lower point.

I didn't really specify that in the example, I kinda just implied it I guess. The reason the trading post would send you mail and not a chat when your order was filled or sold is because the action can happen whether you are online or not. That is why you have to deposit the items you are selling or the cash for the offer you are making.