Perfect moment for Solar Sails

Zerefette

<|°_°|>
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This could add diversity to the game and seems the perfect moment for it.
    A way to move or to provide power without having to generate much heat, they work only in star systems or near a ship that can generate a power field for them to operate in void regions too, the only requirement is that they must be outside the ship to absord the "radiation".
    The radiator can also be a weakpoint for fleets.
    Here is a horrible demonstration made on paint.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Solar sails have been suggested before. They always have the same problems.
    On the RP side of things, there is no difference between a new solar-sail "block" versus using custom visuals built from decorative blocks, combined with hidden thrusters to accomplish the same thing, with fewer restrictions. (Restrictions on game play are generally less fun.)
    On the PVP side of things, solar sails are not powerful enough to be considered for use, and are so susceptible to damage that they might as well not even be an option.
    These two things combined makes solar sails an undesirable block type.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think solar sails combined with a sun-mirror-powered light cannon could be efficient as the light energy is very dense here.

I've seen experiments on TV using some Megawatt lasers to push an object 50m into the air.
    A material which has a high absorption of a certain frequency while solid and a low absorption while vaporized might be good for that.
    I can imagine this as "remotely provided thrust" which makes it different from thrusters.
    The difference to push weapons would be accuracy because it's controlled by the receiving ship.

An alternative might be an EM field. Bouncing magnets between ships would have a repulsive force.

However: Radiation is repulsive - it still lacks a way to attract!