People with slow Computers

Reaction score
    "Nitpicking"]Java is a programming language. How it performs depends on what JVM and version you use.
    Unity is an engine, not a programming language.(from what I know)
    Optimizations are on the way though.
    It is a programming language, then you compile it and it becomes and engine, program or app etc. Take your pick of whatever term you want to use to describe code compiled into a game.
    Kind of like HTML, it's a programming language, then you compile it and it then becomes a website. Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

It's not uncommon or unheard of for games to switch code/engines to something better when it is discovered their current one is crap and a pain in the ass to optimize. I've seen games go from idtech to unreal, unreal to idtech and java to unity etc etc. and various combinations of all.

It is something developers really need to consider when a game has been in development for a year or two is still massively unstable and they decide to start taking cash for it. Don't get me wrong, I love this game which is big for me as I normally hate minecraft types. But I also especially hate Java as a game platform I'll admit.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    It is a programming language, then you compile it and it becomes and engine, program or app etc. Take your pick of whatever term you want to use to describe code compiled into a game.
    Kind of like HTML, it's a programming language, then you compile it and it then becomes a website.
    While I get what you want to say, the example of HTML is really badly chosen.
    1. HTML is not a programming language, it is a HyperText-Markup-Language.
    2. HTML is not compiled, it never is. The browser downloads the HTML document, and parses it, like your text-editor reads a text-file and displays it on your screen.
    Also, there is a big difference in how programs of different languages are handled.

Let's take one of the oldest programming languages there is: Assembler
    Assembler compiles into machinecode, meaning the CPU can read the instructions directly. Problem is, not all CPUs use the same code, so the compiled program won't run on every computer(and if it doesn't work, that doesn't mean it'll crash, it may also just not perform as intended). It is only guaranteed to run on the computer it was compiled on.

Java does it differently:
    Instead of compiling into machinecode, it compiles into the class format. The JVM(Java Virtual Machine) then dynamically interprets the class files and performs the actions. It also handles the memory management. Since the CPU does not directly read the files, a java program will run on every computer as intended, as long as the JVM is installed correctly. Of course, different versions (from different vendors) of the JVM may work different internally, increasing or reducing the overhead depending on the system setup. Optimizing a java program is still easily possible as the overhead of the JVM usually remains constant. Standard code optimizations (removing unnecessary actions, replacing a necessary action with a simpler action that does the same) will work in java too. (It is generally easier to shift and integer to the right instead of dividing it by 2, although the end result is the same)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If your just building a big ship single player and you upgraded or have a spare computer. You might try using the second one as a server. It depends on the computer though.

I have two dual core computers running windows 7 both with 4GB of RAM. Since their very close in specs but one has no real video card worth a damn so its the server. With this I can continue building a big ship till I can afford a better computer since mine is around 5 years old now. The server is newer but meant to be just for file storage so other than graphics its actually comparable to my main pc which is older.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Does anyone have a solution for "sticky" direction keys? As an example: I strafe left in my shift then try to strafe right and I end up standing still. If I let go of the strafe right key I continue strafing left. The only way to stop moving is to hit the strafe left key and then I am free to move again in the direction I wish. Seriously annoying to try and get any real work done. Please help.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It's a nice suggestion, in the OP, but it's merely a bandaid on the real problem, until Schine optimizes the game gfx engine. This is long overdue.

Granted... I also, personally, don't think people should all run around in 800m ships, but focus on ships <200m. Keeps the game faster and more fun, but as a sandbox game, everyone will make their own castle their own way. You can't regulate that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This thread should not be stickied and/or needs updated, as it is mostly obsolete after the newer/est versions of the game, some settings have changed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    galoska Do you have this problem also if you only hit the left and right key or in combination with other keys ? I know that sometimes keyboards can only handle certain amount of keys beeing pressed at the same time.
    Try a diffrenkt keyboard and see if the problem persists.

On settings on slow PCs:
    On my gf's old laptop the game is only playable with vertical-sync enabled. Otherwise its like 1 FPS.