PDTs Shooting Down My Own Missiles - Thought They Fixed This?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay, so was paying close attention to my gunship and noticed that my own missiles were exploding very close to my ship while attacking a pirate station. Since I'm pretty sure pirate stations don't do point defense, the only answer is that my PDTs are shooting down my own missiles.

I thought that got fixed, was I wrong?

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I've seen pirate stations shooting down missiles, though I can't say if they were specifically shooting the missiles, however the station was shooting at me.

Is it possible that you are launching missiles into the pirate station's cannon fire?

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Its also possible that your own outbound cannon fire was shooting down the missiles.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Any cannon or beam fire can hit your missiles and destroy them regardless of the fact that they may not be the intended target.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Other than random enemy shots hitting the missiles its also possible your own cannons are hitting the missiles. There is a config setting somewhere that allows your own cannons to hit your own missiles. Usually by default this is on.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Other than random enemy shots hitting the missiles its also possible your own cannons are hitting the missiles. There is a config setting somewhere that allows your own cannons to hit your own missiles. Usually by default this is on.
    Does anyone specifically know where this is?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Same directory as the Starmade.jar, server config

MISSILE_DEFENSE_FRIENDLY_FIRE = true //can shoot down own or missiles from own faction

Reaction score
    it should be stated that even with that config file on point defense turrets won't specifically target your missiles only that your missiles can be hit by your own cannon fire which well, makes sense just sayin.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    it should be stated that even with that config file on point defense turrets won't specifically target your missiles only that your missiles can be hit by your own cannon fire which well, makes sense just sayin.
    While technically that makes sense, in reality it is 'really hard' to actually shoot down missiles on purpose. Given that it takes extraordinary technology to pull off hitting a missile on purpose, it makes little sense to regularly hit your own missiles by 'accident'.

Reaction score
    While technically that makes sense, in reality it is 'really hard' to actually shoot down missiles on purpose. Given that it takes extraordinary technology to pull off hitting a missile on purpose, it makes little sense to regularly hit your own missiles by 'accident'.
    i suppose that depends on if you use shotgun/waffle point defense if the station you are shooting fires one missile and your 20 point defense turrets unload 600 rounds in the next 2 seconds you could easily accidentally shoot down your own missile especially if you are targeting the turret that fired the missile at you in the first place.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    i suppose that depends on if you use shotgun/waffle point defense if the station you are shooting fires one missile and your 20 point defense turrets unload 600 rounds in the next 2 seconds you could easily accidentally shoot down your own missile especially if you are targeting the turret that fired the missile at you in the first place.
    Yes, in the context of a computer game where the smallest unit of space is one meter and the actual ranges of such engagements are typically less than a thousand meters and movement relatively slow, it certainly could make 'sense' if one out of hundreds of rounds just happened to hit your own missile, by accident. In the real world, missiles have much smaller cross sections than one meter, engagement ranges tend to be significantly longer and the speed of approach is much faster. In reality, like real world reality, the chances of one's own guns accidentally shooting down one of your own missiles are astronomically remote, even if you fire thousands of rounds and even if your missile is headed to the same target.

So in a game the question must be asked by developers; are they going to force the consequence of an utterly absurd abstraction onto a player just for giggles? Or is it perhaps not better game mechanics to simply not have your own ship shoot down your own missiles, like people would expect.

Reaction score
    So in a game the question must be asked by developers; are they going to force the consequence of an utterly absurd abstraction onto a player just for giggles? Or is it perhaps not better game mechanics to simply not have your own ship shoot down your own missiles, like people would expect.
    I agree, but in this case they have made their preferences clear, and added a way for players/servers to change the behaviour via a config setting if they disagree, so best of both worlds, really.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, but the problem is when you give your missile turrets cannon backups so that they aren't wasting their time most of the fight, and they switch over to them instantly after firing the missile. Thats an AI failure when their first reaction to firing a missile is to fill it's flightpath with flak the instant its out of the tube.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, but the problem is when you give your missile turrets cannon backups so that they aren't wasting their time most of the fight, and they switch over to them instantly after firing the missile. Thats an AI failure when their first reaction to firing a missile is to fill it's flightpath with flak the instant its out of the tube.
    If they're homing missiles, you could try to have them shoot at 90 degrees to the cannon firing direction. They'll mostly arc around the cannon fire on their way to the enemy, unless the range is extreme. Alternatively, you could use beam weapons as backups. They may not quite fit your use case, though :confused:

I can kind of see where the devs are coming from with regard to realism. If I had an RPG-7 with a bore-mounted machine gun hanging off of it, I wouldn't be surprised if some machine gun round clipped the rocket on it's way to the target. However, I think I more agree with Panpiper - 3D space is huge, and object intersections are relatively rare. A few inches is a miss for a bullet, so it doesn't take much thrusting from a rocket or missile to displace it's path from a co-linear bullet trajectory. I must say, though, I relish being able to manually shoot down incoming missiles. That wouldn't be all that possible with a more realistic system.

Reaction score
    If they're homing missiles, you could try to have them shoot at 90 degrees to the cannon firing direction. They'll mostly arc around the cannon fire on their way to the enemy, unless the range is extreme. Alternatively, you could use beam weapons as backups. They may not quite fit your use case, though :confused:

I can kind of see where the devs are coming from with regard to realism. If I had an RPG-7 with a bore-mounted machine gun hanging off of it, I wouldn't be surprised if some machine gun round clipped the rocket on it's way to the target. However, I think I more agree with Panpiper - 3D space is huge, and object intersections are relatively rare. A few inches is a miss for a bullet, so it doesn't take much thrusting from a rocket or missile to displace it's path from a co-linear bullet trajectory. I must say, though, I relish being able to manually shoot down incoming missiles. That wouldn't be all that possible with a more realistic system.
    I thought maybe i could squeeze by with just my initial comment but obviously that isn't the case here.

Lets assume for a second that we are not talking about the whole of 3-d space but rather a linear vector between you and your target because haha we are..... when you launch a missile straight at a target homing or otherwise it follows a ..... (you've probably guessed it) straight line

you guys are all talking like you are firing pebbles the size of a 45 round through space and they are somehow hitting your missiles ths is also not the case the antimatter cannon block takes up a 1x1x1 meter space the barrel on said cannon takes up about 2/5ths of the total space of the cannon block which means its a safe assumption to assume that the antimatter cannon round you are firing is roughly 18 inches in diameter.

Lets put this to a practical situation I fire one rpg at you who is standing 1km away from me i then start moving to the right at 1 ft per second firing 600 cannon balls at you that move faster than the missile chances are the missile will be touched by at least 1 cannon ball out of the 600 that i shot the same applies in starmade.

This problem can easily be overcome by having missiles that launch perpendicular to the cannon rounds that are fired if you are to lazy to do this then you deserve to have your missiles shot down by your own guns.

tl:dr cannon rounds are not the size of bullets but are 18 inches in diameter and when you are rapid firing cannon rounds along the same path as a missile there is a high chance they will get shot down.

Reaction score
    simple solution, build missiles on the bottom of your ship, turrets on the top

Reaction score
    this would be all well and good if they weren't talking about missile turrets that also had cannons on them so that all their energy regen isn't wasted during the 45 second recharge time for the missiles.

the simplest solution is to turn off the config setting that allows you to hit your own and faction friendly missiles

the realistic solution would be to have cannons that fire straight at the target while having the missile computer launch up or down depending on what side of the ship the turret is placed on.

Reaction score
    this would be all well and good if they weren't talking about missile turrets that also had cannons on them so that all their energy regen isn't wasted during the 45 second recharge time for the missiles.

the simplest solution is to turn off the config setting that allows you to hit your own and faction friendly missiles

the realistic solution would be to have cannons that fire straight at the target while having the missile computer launch up or down depending on what side of the ship the turret is placed on.
    Yes, but to be fair, the topic originally was about Point Defense Turrets ; )