Recognized PC

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I would like to see a type of pc be added to starmade. This computer would run on a simple language and could control ships and logic circuits. You could also make random programs that do al sorts of things. It could be something like http://www.computercraft.info. This would be a great addition to starmade and add another great aspect to it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I like to program and a logic system is a good foundation that I would like to see built apon

Reaction score
    I guess he would mean a scripting technique instead of a block-oriented technique. I can see the advantage.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    LUI coding for custom AI, as well as for server operators to make custom quests/missions, is (or at least was) planned. Not much has been said about it since it was first announced.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well I guess I am bringing it up with new prospects but thank you for the information
    [DOUBLEPOST=1423710365,1423710297][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I guess he would mean a scripting technique instead of a block-oriented technique. I can see the advantage.
    Yes that is what i would like in addition to the logic circuits

Reaction score
    the problem with this is that it would become incredibly easy to lag out or even crash a server. Even with protections against those, a large number of computers running even simple programs for turrets for example would have the same effect.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    as if a fully working logic system wasn't enough for you?
    I know right, I could make a computer in Starmade that would have been the envy of the world in 1780, and all it would take me is nearly 2kms³ of space and the equivalent of the GDP of the entire Earth in funds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Yes a scripted base computer would add more complexity to the logic aspect
    [DOUBLEPOST=1423791964,1423791630][/DOUBLEPOST]Do staff actually look at our suggestions

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd like to see this done. To prevent lagfests, processing used for in-game computers could be limited to a certain percent of server capacity. That means if there are too many computers, the computers would lag but the rest of the server would be pretty much okay. Unfortunately I think that's difficult to code. It should be possible though. I haven't gotten deep enough into java coding to know how much control a programmer has over this kind of thing.

What I don't want to see is a clone of the Minecraft mod Computercraft. It has the ability to fork-bomb and cripple servers very easily, not to mention high network latency makes TYPING on the freaking computers lag! The principle of that mod is great, but the implementation is trash for multiplayer.

I'd like to have a computer on my ship and a galactic broadnet (in-game internet! Whee!). In-game forums might even be possible. Think of all the possibilities for info tech alone! Now add in control systems and great things will happen.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    In order to address the potential performance issues in multiplayer, maybe the computer processing could be handled client side.

Reactions: PizzaPress
    Reaction score
    I'd like to see this done. To prevent lagfests, processing used for in-game computers could be limited to a certain percent of server capacity. That means if there are too many computers, the computers would lag but the rest of the server would be pretty much okay. Unfortunately I think that's difficult to code. It should be possible though. I haven't gotten deep enough into java coding to know how much control a programmer has over this kind of thing.
    I'm pretty sure this is possible. Garry's Mod Wiremod addon had something similar called "Expression 2" which was very close to what OP was suggesting. Players could set the clock speed of these chips themselves, but every operation the chip performed costs a certain amount of points, and when a server-wide quota was reached, the chips clock speed was reduced. It worked pretty well.

coding for custom AI
    Oh god yes please. No need to come up with a fleet AI if players have to program it themselves :D

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    What surprises me is the "recognized" tag. Variations of programmable blocks have been suggested for ages, this is by no means new. One would think the devs would have heard of this, even if they haven't put much thought into it.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, it's not that surprising that it isn't a planned feature yet. There are a lot of other things that need working on!

I was thinking about this, and it could basically go two ways:
    1. A programmable logic unit with a limited clock speed
    2. (my favorite) a scriptable computer with a certain amount of processing speed allotted server-wide.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    What surprises me is the "recognized" tag. Variations of programmable blocks have been suggested for ages, this is by no means new. One would think the devs would have heard of this, even if they haven't put much thought into it.
    We've heard of it, but at the moment no definitive plans have been made, but we're acknowledging we've thought about this.

Reactions: PizzaPress

Nerixel

The Walrus
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My god, so much yes.

I've been dreaming of a system like ComputerCraft except for StarMade (except as Valiant said, preferably with better implementation). The potential is really amazing when you think about it.

Perhaps it would be a feature more suited to a mod though. That way, it becomes an "opt-in" experience for servers, solving the lag issues. If, however, another solution is found, having this built into the game would be awesome.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Well, for starters, these tags for suggestions are only a few days old. Which would be why all the other suggestions over the months for this wouldn't have it.