Pattern Encoder Block—The solution to all our docking problems

This idea.

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I couldn't come up with a cool name, so let's just call it by what the block does, it encodes patterns (short: PEB). I believe it to be the solution to many issues the current docking system provides, like ship alignment relative to the docking module, or the direction or orientation of docked ships.

General Behavior
    The PEB can be connected to Docking Modules, Cockpits and Ship Cores. All connected PEBs then would form a pattern, which would serve as a filter that only allows the docking of ships that represent the same encoded pattern as the Docking Module. The patterns then serve as the point of origin (replacing the ship core in that matter), as well as they determine direction and orientation of the docked ship.

So how does it work?
    In the following, the red blocks serve as a replacment for PEBs. In each picture, each of the visible PEBs is connected to the Docking Module/the Cockpit respectively.

Suppose we have this docking port:
    View attachment 1582
    We could dock there with ships that have something like including, but not limited to, the following:
    View attachment 1580 View attachment 1579 View attachment 1583
    These could not be docked:
    View attachment 1581 View attachment 1584

Applications
    Apart from the obvious, factions could standardize docking ports, like the docking rings from Star Wars (only a few meters in diameter, suited for passage of one person at a time), or troup/cargo transport ports (the large hangar-like doors at the sides of a Venator). Each docking port could only be accessed by a ship supporting the associated pattern. A ship could support many patterns (on different cockpits) to connect to different kinds of docking ports. Since the patterns would serve as the docking origin, ships would be aligned to compatible docking ports.

Extending the system
    (Edit: Note that these are merely examples of what could be possible. I'd like the discussion to mainly focus on the docking part.)
    • With Turret Docking Units: specify the turret's default rotation.
    • With doors: Only ships which match the hangar door's pattern are allowed to open it.
    • With Bobby AI: Drones could automatically redock to compatible docking ports.
    While I agree that the docking system needs improvement I think that it could be made a whole lot easier.

I also agree that being able to chose the orientation (direction) your ship docks in, is very important.

My suggestion: Eliminate the docking enhancer completely.
    Make the Docking Module an Advanced Docking Module or ADM
    After placing the ADM open it with 'R' and choose the direction to dock in
    Then I would like to be able to pick how big the docking area will be in the X,Y,Z and -X,-Y,-Z directions

I know when I build a ship that the last thing I am concerned with is where the ships core is at.
    I have a salvage ship that is 250m long and the core is 15m from the front
    I have a large ship that is 400m long and growing but the core is only 20m from the rear of the ship
    I really hate having to make my current docking area over 800 m long because I cant control the size at all

There have been very good suggestions here and by no means is mine the best, it's just my idea

Reactions: Ghent96
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    It wasn't in this thread. No wonder you were confused.
    I apologize if this has already been mentioned, I haven't had time to read through the entire thread.

I think as far as the enhancers and the docking boxes go it's one of the more logical ways to go about it, and best controls what things can dock where. However I wouldn't mind seeing something like a partnered docking module system. Essentially adding blocks which will dock in place of the core.

For example, let's say you have a door on the side of your ship, and your station has a tunnel and airlock extending out of it to dock with that door. Instead of hitting the docking beam and your core pops over the docking module instantly, you would switch to your docking cam above your ship's door and activate the docking module on your ship. The 4 modules around your ships door fire a beam straight out from them, and after some careful aligning, the beams are connecting with the 4 modules around the stations airlock/tunnel. After holding it there for a second or so your ship gently moves into a docked position, where the docking blocks are all against one another (or reaaaally close).

It would need some tweaking, but it would allow you to dock any part of your ship on something else, at the point you desire. I think it would be nice to be able to link the modules, so that all linked modules have to be activated at once to allow the entity to dock there. (almost like a lock system, no compatible docking configurations on your ship? No docking there.)

It's not perfect, but it's just a quick idea.
    So yeah, his solution solves all three or your problems, with only one block.

Reactions: Ghent96
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Let's try again...
    1 block = simple, my suggestion
    3+ blocks = too complex, especially for small ships, your suggestion.

PS - small ships are cool, large ships drool.

Reactions: Ithirahad

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Let's try again...

You can't afford 3 blocks, but a bobby, weapon cpu ...?

BTW: I know how to do pattern-encoding passwords :)

How about:
    Docking Module = Array Controller (Docking)
    Docking Enhancers = PEBs​

Just limit to max 25 blocks per controller and allow a pattern size of 5x5 (can be above or below the door as community-standart)
    That should decrease most calculations to the absolute minimum.

6*5 =32 and fits as bits into a 32 integer variable.
    JavaScript:
    if( dock.pebMask & cockpit.pebMask = dock.pebMaks)
    . . return true; else return false; // true = docking allowed
    Does it remember you to a QR-code?:

Use 30 blocks to fill this shape somewhere:
    Code:
    1_ AS SI Z_ E_ _1
    PW PW PW PW PW PW
    PW PW PW PW PW PW
    PW PW PW PW PW PW
    1_ AL PB RA NK _0
    For a community standard, I suggest
    • to have it below the docking port (as it is more important being able to walk between ships than having a roof over the ship-to-ship bridge)
    • use top/bottom left/right with 11 10 (0 = rear right; sets 2 used axis and orientation)
    • use up to 3 blocks (SI Z_ E_) top as binary coded number x in:
      • max allowed ship size = 2^(2*x) blocks (x=7 : 16'384)
        • provide a lookup table "x => size limit" for dummies
      • with 4 blocks, optionally set (first) AS block for all sizes and and use 3 blocks for what you want.
    • use up to 4 blocks (PB AL RA NK) at bottom for:
      • 00 00, 11 11 = (personal only), (friends & ally & public, al members)
      • 0 00, 1 11 = (personal only), (friends (& ally if rank not 0..2), al members)
      • 00, 11 = guild rank 0..4
      • 0, 1 = personal, faction-members
    • use up to 3 lines (middle) for custom data
    • you are able to just leave any row or column empty, then condense/collapse the pattern into a smaller pattern as long
      • as the top/bottom left/right blocks are 1110 the result will be correct.
    I also suggest only flat plane which makes calculations easer and can hide below armour blocks - or having blocks only be distinguishable while in build mode to keep the password save? Server settings by texture? Exploits like a tool-tip when hovering over a block?

For turrets, maybe it just sets the default orientation?

Reaction score
    It wasn't in this thread. No wonder you were confused.

So yeah, his solution solves all three or your problems, with only one block.
    Well, I used the search function, but I guess I did something wrong (probably by assuming it had its own thread).
    That suggestion is basically only the wish of ships docking in the alignment they were before firing the docking beam. Maybe we will get that someday, but in case not, or if it takes too long, I have a cool suggestion right here.
    (The four beams acutally are unnecessary and make it harder, one should be sufficient.)

Let's try again...

Yes, because one block that doesn't solve the issue is better than whatever number of blocks that do. If you think my suggestion is complex, maybe you should ask a one-year-old to solve it for you. It is not more complicated than the current system (which also forces you to place blocks in a certain shape).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Except... One block _does_ solve the issue. Multiple people have all said the same thing. You're not listening. You seem fixated on your idea, because it's your idea.
    Simple.