Overwhelming point defense

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    My only issue with missile+pulse combos is the ridiculous amount of power some effect combos with it have a need for. That said I've found logic fired rapid dumb fire missiles make good cover for pulse missiles. :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Mostly. It does have some RP space, enough that it feels like a real ship. It has crew quarters, private cabins for a half dozen, mess hall, head, medical room, storage room and a captain's quarters. It probably wouldn't pass muster on a heavy RP server, but it passes my own. Other than that though, it is indeed solid except for necessary clearances for turret traverse. Oh, logic systems have their own room too, so I can access them easily. And of course there is the bridge, which has an adjacent room for the subspace radar...
    Well, color me impressed. Form AND function. The whole package.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is the titan I'm building:
    15651_1894067cdaab45bbd0a1d14b33c6b374.jpg

Its still under construction (haven't started the back half of it yet), but do you see the little grey rivets on it? Here, closer view:
    15652_fe7a56449337325edd38165e962ee9a9.jpg

Those are my low profile PDTs. They have full 360 spin on the horizontal axis, and 180 on the vertical axis. Each is a 1/1 cannon/cannon.

Currently there is 16 on the nose, and 16 on the spinning ring, with more to come. On the nose I have 2 per large turret, flanking it to protect against incoming heatseekers and the like. The ring has two on each side face of the pylons for some general defense (as well as defending the big ball turrets).

So basically there should always be at least 4 turrets pointing in any given direction at any given time, and a good 8-12 that can target a given missile under absolute best case scenarios.

I want to make sure nothing short of a server breakingly large number of missiles coming in at the same time will be a real threat.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Wonder how many missile it'd take to break a server? o_O 4000+ or so in one shot? Or maybe 30k in a single shot? :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Launching a few hundred at a time doesn't seem to have an effect, so itd defiantly be in the thousands

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Love the piping, +1
    How big is that beauty :?
    As of right now, about 550m x 260m x 260m.

I'm guestimating around 800m long when it's finished, and probably around 400m wide.

Apologies for the pics that don't really show the PDTs, I had to steal them from my thread over in shipyards as I can't log in to take new ones right at the moment.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    My ship build (Orion) is going to have about four point-defense turrets that are the cannon-cannon slaves, plus about 30 rapid fire turrets and twelve Long Range turrets. The spam fire should keep most flack from missiles down but not stop all of them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Working on building a Base Star from BSG, (reboot) so I'm finding this whoooole thread hits very close to home. :) Just thinking on what sort of ridiculous missile spray will be pouring off of it / how to tangle with AMS.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    lol my computer even sees that many missiles in my general area and it NOPEs out of the game. XD It's one of the reasons I fight using traps, AI, and logic. So I don't have to be around to play with all that. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Anti missile turrets can be improved over normal ones with a bit of experimentation. I suggest testing them though. Note Anti missile turrets might have more difficulty to hit while the defending ship is moving. All my anti missile testing has been done while defending turret is stationary.

Large numbers of fast missiles would be better. For FOF missiles I use 0 blocks for the missile slave. This results in 1 homing missile at decent speed rather than 10 homing missiles at slowest speed. Then just have a lot of launchers. Make your launchers VLS type setups. Launching sideways from your target. My current titan design has multiple FOF fast missile launchers. up/down/left and right 20 per side and with some difficultly 10 on each diagonal.

As far as I'm aware you can outrun missile/pulse with 100% slaves as they have a speed lower than server speed limit and that's before you put overdrive in. You might be able to do the same to other missile types with a 100% overdrive.

If your target has good anti-missile turrets your going to need guns to take down the ships shields to under 50% and kill some of the anti-missile turrets. There usually pretty small and don't have a lot of system points.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Working on building a Base Star from BSG, (reboot) so I'm finding this whoooole thread hits very close to home. :) Just thinking on what sort of ridiculous missile spray will be pouring off of it / how to tangle with AMS.
    What type of basestar? Cylon Basestar that is nothing but missiles or colonial battlestar?

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Your point defense turrets can't protect you if they're shooting a series of missile-cannon rounds fired perpendicular to their aim arc. I've found that sending extraneous missiles in stupid directions will keep a point defense turret locked up until those missiles hit maximum range a few minutes later. It doesn't help that when you fire one distraction missile, all of the enemy's point defense turrets try to aim at it at first.

Even if you have two hundred "perfect" point defense turrets, none of them will work for you if they're all firing at a target they can't hit that isn't even flying towards the ship. If you use PD distractions, then they need to fire in a different direction from your victim, otherwise their PD will simply be able to shoot down the distractions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Cylon Basestar, from the newer series. Missiles galore, estimating 200+ Raiders to deploy alongside.
    Nice! I'm gonna do one of those soon too. Plus rotation :) Half ship half turret, the mass enhancers are gonna be mad.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The SWD HQ has room for 48 Anti Missile Turrets. :) All of them with full 360 turning so needless to say it'd e hard to break through that on a good day.

Needless to say on Easy mode for the AI it takes about 2 to 6 AMS Turrets to stop missiles depending on the design. On Mean mode it takes about 2 for a single missile. :)
    with a bit of guessing and a bit of counting, I think i'll need about 3-5 of my anti-PDT
    and that's when all of your PDTs have sight on the missiles :D I think I'm ok with that, the turrets are only about 15x15x15 big (haven't made it nice looking yet and don't got the base yet so this is estimate, the barrel is 11x7x5)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I've been toying with the idea of compact missile turrets out on the tips of the Basestar' arms, set to fire on selected, with 2 basic basic missile/cannon outputs. One with 100% support, one with maybe 50% so there's already a more constant flow of low damage, high speed dumb-fires.
    I already know that the AI sucks hard with dumb-fire missiles, and I'm pretty much counting on most of them to fly past the target anyways, just adds to the AMS distraction for any of the AMS that are designed to pick off missiles at wide angles...

Maybe if they don't aim so horribly after all, you could go 100% stop effect, might at least level up the irritability factor, if that's even remotely effective at that damage range. Hell, if it'll stop the target, or at least slow it down, I would think that it would make it that much easier for the AI to hit with MORE dumb-fires...

Just brainstorming here, dumping ideas on the table and see if there's any diamonds in the rough. ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    From what I can tell, the cylon basestar has medium or light armor, 220 missiles per volley. That's about 22 heat seeker turrets or 220 separate batteries. That'd be 110 batteries per arm, with 36 per arm and 2 nuke launchers on each half. With a ship that long, that's not too bad. Basestars are completely relant on their raptor wings, there'd be little to no shields and NO flak defense, CIWS turrets, or any point-defense. Basestars do have great FTL drives and missiles and room for raiders, which dock exposed, so that's little to no wasted space. Basestars are not close-range battleships, filling more the role of carriers and long-range weapon systems. I'm just bouncing ideas off ya, hope you find some good ones. Basestars CANNOT stand toe to toe with Galactica, Pegasus, or any other fully functional battlestar without fighter support, unless they gang up on the ship. Fighters are everything to a basestar, without raiders the ship's screwed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I have seen a few of the close up shots where the missile launchers swing down out of the arms, and I'm hoping to somewhat replicate that. 50 or so per arm, docked missile/beam AI that will dump out volleys at a pretty even clip, since I figure they will reach engagement range in sequence down the line.

I haven't Calc'd out how many raiders I will be able to field out on the exposed surface docks, but my brother and I (pretty much him, heh.) worked out an internal magazine system that should "slowly" empty out 200 raiders on top of the external launch... sooo here's looking forward to THAT. :rolleyes::D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I have seen a few of the close up shots where the missile launchers swing down out of the arms, and I'm hoping to somewhat replicate that. 50 or so per arm, docked missile/beam AI that will dump out volleys at a pretty even clip, since I figure they will reach engagement range in sequence down the line.

I haven't Calc'd out how many raiders I will be able to field out on the exposed surface docks, but my brother and I (pretty much him, heh.) worked out an internal magazine system that should "slowly" empty out 200 raiders on top of the external launch... sooo here's looking forward to THAT. :rolleyes::D
    Sounds fun! Sometime I'm gonna have to get my hands on a raider and size that out. I've yet to find a good cylon raider for starmade