Out-of-game Building Tool, Savable Build-Blocks, OutOfCombat-Warp & More;

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Currently, this game is epic, I just have a few ideas:

~Out-Of-Game-Builder:

I would love to just have a sort of "CAD" type program where I can build a ship, with predefined shapes, and the ability to make new shape-tools of my own (like ship parts; engines/guns/etc). Like on Photoshop you can make your own paintbrush shapes.

This could mean larger, more detailed ships, and the ability to do so quickly, and with ease.

I just can't get creative if it takes 3 days to build something, the 10x10x10 block default tool just isn't enough for me (especially because there aren't sliders on it, you have to click to pick the length), I get fizzled out it takes so long. :(

~Savable Build-Blocks(catalogable stations):

I would also love to be able to save my space stations, the "Build-Block" is so amazing, but I feel as though I don't want to work on my space station too much if it means I can't save it.

~Out-of-combat Warp-Drive [100-300+*km/h*]:

(Not usable during fights outside of spawn, can't be used untill combat timer has finished)

I find it sleazy/cheap if we could just teleport between sectors, it would take the core of the game away (which is exploring and seeing the universe and so on, and getting chased by pirates when your carrying precious cargo).

It would be amazing if we could atleast speed things up for those long distance flights, maybe anything around 100-300*km/h* and be able to clip through asteroids (crashing ever 5 seconds on those things would suck, but this isnt TOO important >.< ), and can't be used in combat, and the combat timer would be like 20-60seconds (after you've being shot) so you can't just kite then go into warp.

[More details in posts below]

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yes! I\'ve asked for this myself, as i can\'t play Singleplayer, this would mean i can build ships without running around servers rading pirate stations for materials and money and risk death!

Reaction score
    I think to build a ship you should have to build a large \"ship construction chamber\" where you can literally \"draw\" in shapes for your ship, or upload predrawn shapes from a sort of player made catalog.

One problem with that, however would be pricing, since it wouldnt be this hull block is so and so credits and this power block is etc. etc., it would be the amount of mass of each material type the ship has, so like 100 creds for 1 mass of normal hull, etc. This would also allow for custom colors, so people can create better looking ships rather than hulking masses of blocks with thrusters and a cannon. You could also load in premade things of dif materials, so like a premade ship battery or a chassis, or maybe even a missile pod. Or you can create your own! This could also allow for an overall better game aesthetic feel, rather than alot of blocks. It could have its own theme, planets could be round, shops could be one entire piece, etc.

Sadly, with only two developers, and extremely cheap pricing and no dedicated servers or other payment/ moneymaking methods, this would simply not be possible. They would have to create a whole new engine most likely!

Dont listen me, just me and my silly, unacheivable dreams. *cries softly*

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    @shadowcrusnik:

Yeah I\'m not sure round planets and such would work, you just can\'t make the gravity work on a sphere in this, you\'d just fall off of Jamaica. ><

I\'ll keep adding my idea\'s, and add other peoples as side notes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    @Voidrayx:

To put it bluntly, yes.

But I\'m after something more precise and customisable, instead of \"place lots of spheres/cubes\", and it has to work in 3 dimensions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It is fine for warp to be useable during combat.

Simply do it in the following manner: Your warp core has a level of power that determines speed, how fast it charges up, and its power draw while doing so (and perhaps how many sectors it can make in one jump). Use more blocks do increase this. It must charge up before you warp. How long it takes to charge is based on how many blocks you have, and how large the ship is.

While charging for a warp, shields, weapons, and engines go off-line, including those of any docked objects. Which means that you are especially vulnerable during that period, and should only use it in combat as a last resort escape tactic.

For a small ship, you might regularly get warp charging times of 5-10 seconds with a typical design. Larger ships, unless specially designed, would more typically take a good 20-30 seconds to charge their warp and teleport to the target sector. Neglect to put in a lot of warp cores and it could take longer still.

Ask yourself this: Do you really want to be standing around for 20 seconds with your large ship unshielded and completely vulnerable to missiles in a combat situation, unless you were pretty guarenteed to get torn apart regardless of what you might try without warping? I thought not.

It also opens the idea for a \"jump tug\" or \"warp ring\" ship. A ship that is basically all power cores and jump drives with a MASSIVE docking port on it. Its purpose is as you might suspect: to jump ships around faster and farther then they can on their own normally. Particularly ships with overly small warp cores which need to arrive at a designated battlefield sometime the same hour as the attack ships that have proper cores installed. Or to facilitate rapid deployment of reinforcements.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    @KuramaFox:

You\'ve overcomplicated something that could be achieved with a much smaller amount of coding.

No offence intended here, but I think for all intents and purposes we just need a mode with which to zip around with outside of combat (anything around 100km/h or more is a considerable improvement when travelling long distances), and one that doesn\'t mess up dogfighting in any way; even with a max speed of 50km/h in-combat it gets laggy when in mobile fights, due to the constant shifting through sectors.

And at the moment the admins on most servers increase the top speed to make things move a bit more smoothly for long distance traveling, but at the same time they mess up any combat on their servers (reasons aforementioned).

But when it comes to out-of-combat travelling, you never really notice the jittering that occurs when you move from sector to sector, so I think it would be fine to have crazy top speeds when it comes to making the long slog to distant sectors.

___

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It is called SMEditor

http://star-made.org/content/offline-ship-editor