[OUDATED] Computer block

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    EDITED: After giving this suggestion some thoughts, I've come up with another idea. You can check this idea thread here: New way to Interact with Information in Starmade.

The idea for Holographic Signs makes more sense for a simple labeling system!

------------------------------------ Outdated Suggestion ------------------------------------

Ok, after reading the mass spam about signs today, I'll add my idea on how we can label things, but have much more..

My idea is the Computer Block. This is a block with a screen (tchram!!).

In this computer block you'll have a simple OS capable of some tasks, like sending emails to other players, controling or checking your ship stats,etc. Something simple that don't need much coding.

This computer blocks allow you to set a "wallpaper", and this is how you can label things, by typing a text to be displayed.

You'll access this Computer Block like ussual, using "R", and the screen will show in your GUI like the Main Menu, but with a new graphism, more screeny like.

(This Computer Block can be able to do so much more, like managing drones, turrets, etc... but let's not get ahead of yourselfs here...)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hologram signs or something along those lines don\'t fit in the sci-fi setting, but having computers be placed EVERYWHERE. Literately EVERYWHERE, now that\'s sci-fi! Right...?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, lot\'s of computers on a ship is normal, check this Video of the International Space Station. And the computer block is only a display screen. I see no problem of having multiples screen in a spaceship!
    (In my office, where i\'m atm, I\'m using 3 screens, can you imagine in the future?)

But I\'m not only pointing a solution way to label things, but something more. I\'m suggesting a way to communicate in space, to have a status readout of your ship, even to navigate the GWW (galactic wide web), to check news from the outer space, checking shops prices, etc... But as I said, I don\'t want to get ahead of myself in this matter, let\'s do baby steps...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If these computer blocks were used to lable things in place of a sign, there would be computer blocks all over space. Just floating in space. All over planets and asteroids. Just, sometimes floating, computer blocks used to make signs all over.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You\'re right Clayton. And I\'ve changed my mind about this. A simple function as labeling should not be overcomplicated like I was proposing.

A holographic sign would work just fine, but the computer idea still remains, but I\'ve created a different thread for it.

--> Check it here