Orbital Elevator

Reaction score
    Hello everyone, I am going to work on an orbital elevator (space tether). I have started planning it out and know about the issue with plexlifters, but I have a few ideas to get around this. I just need to decide on a planet type and the magnitude of this project's scale.

Realistically, it would be thousands of kilometers long but practically it can only be a couple thousand (and that's stretching it). At this length it could pose a problem with the sectors moving and everything so I figure it should only be a few hundred meters long.

Additionally the width would need to be relative to height, but I haven't determined a height (for now I will assume a limit of 1000 m). I think that a 50 block/meter wide ring holding together the 'cables' could look good, given the game's practicality limits.

I also plan on creating a space station/dock on top of the elevator once complete, as a home base.

If you have any ideas or suggestions feel free to toss them around!

Reaction score
    Its not much but i found some size info online. Love halo so i wanted to help out in some way. Though im not sure if the one from the halo series is what you are aiming for but none the less i like the idea. Hope this helps:

The space elevator is gigantic, reaching thousands of kilometers in height. An orbital tether\'s center of gravity must be above or at a point of geosynchronous orbit above the body it is located on. Because geosynchronous orbit above Earth is quite high, (35,900 Km above the surface) the height of the elevator would be twice the distance from the surface to the point of geosynchronous orbit. This gives orbital tethers (Because the same rule would apply to them all) an average height of 70,000 kilometers above the Earth\'s surface.

Note: obvious down scaling would be needed but it should be of some use as a reference point.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have tried this before, plex lifters glitch the fuck out if they are inside of anything bigger than a 3x3 tube. This, compounded by the way in which the gravity of a planet is extended the higher you build and space tethers become pretty much useless...

Reaction score
    I know about the plex lifters issue, but don\'t worry because I has other plans that don\'t even involve using them. The tether is not going to be so much as a practical build but more of a fun project, my main base will be placed on top of it.

Reaction score
    If plexlifters are an issue i think you could make it multi floored and encase the elevators in small tubes so they dont bug out? and for the sake of asthetics you could add multiple around the inner wallas and make a break point at where the atmosphere \"ends\" and make it a prep area before moving further up to the area that shouldnt have oxygen. Just a couple ideas.