Optional Console model for Controller/Computer blocks

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The decorative console is a nice shape. What I would like to be able to do is if I want to place something like a Transport Controller to have the option to place it as either a block or a console shaped equivalent. That way I could make a star trekish transporter room with an actual console rather than a block jutting from the floor or in the wall.

With the ability to place things like weapon computers or things like rail speed controllers and shipyard controllers as a console or a block I think we could make builds much more interesting and human scale.
    If we had a room overlooking a shipyard the controls could actually be built into a desk like console like I feel like they would be if you were in a foreman's office.

If a computer was being placed in its console shape, then its texture would reflect the color of the computer this could also be used decoratively, it is a little boring that the only color for consoles we have at the moment is blue, and they can't fit in in all aesthetics.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think it would be great if console blocks could be slaved to controllers and "inherit" the interface for that controller. That way, you don't need to build a whole new block and it would be incredibly flexible, performing functions of logic, controllers, even build blocks, gravity blocks, or door/forcefield controllers. Just use the existing master-slave relationship model to make the console interactive.

It would require both the console and original controller/logic block be in place, but most proponents would not be concerned with needing space for the additional block, versus all-new console-shaped controller blocks.

Bonus: Allow multiple "masters" of the console slave, and then prompt the player to choose which system to control when activating the console.

You could have emergent behavior in the console block as well. Slave it to a camera and when a player activates the console, their POV is automatically switched to camera linked to that console. Multiple master cameras? The player can chose which one will be his POV. Lots of opportunities for original GUI designs.

It would be like "Command Chairs Version 1.0", and could lead to greater things in the future.

Reaction score
    Sounds really nice. If consoles could also inherit the looks of linked decorative computer blocks (blue computer, red computer, orange computer etc.) designing bridges and control rooms would be that much nicer. Also, more console shapes could be a good thing too (table sets with consoles on or in them, wall mounted consoles, ceiling racks, free standing consoles with integrated stands, etc.)

The same would also go for display units, having a block is good, but having flat wall-mounted displays, displays on ceiling racks, holographic displays (intangible displays without having to hide displays in walls, and use complicated ASCII to offset text off the display) and such would really move away from the 1m^3 blocky aesthetics and diversify the look of bridges and control rooms in general.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think it would be great if console blocks could be slaved to controllers and "inherit" the interface for that controller.
    Now that would save a lot of hassle creating the additional consoles as computers. All you'd do is slave the computer to the console. Needs to not affect existing slaving to either logic or the core.

Then kupu would only need to create a bunch of generic animated textures for consoles with different functions. Maybe he could also make some to simulate all the different computers available, if you wanted to marry them up exactly that is.

Then it's just a matter of matching console to computer, or find one that's close to looking like the function or what you want.