Option to save screenshots as jpg

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Because I hate having to convert the screenshots to jpgs so that I can upload them to the site due to the memory limit.

Reaction score
    That should actually be the default. It's incredibly annoying to wait for an image heavy thread to load, because no one cares to convert their images.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've found a rather nice workaround. Get a program called 'ShareX'
    It's an image uploader, just drop images into it and it'll upload. It has options to convert images to JPG, and watermark them.

Reaction score
    Perhaps PNGs take less time to encode and that is why they're used instead of JPEG. It appears that jpeg takes longer to encode with the compression. Schema really seems to try to pull every little performance trick possible, so this might be one of them.

If you're sick of converting write a (bash/powershell) script that executes as soon as you log off of starmade that converts all *.png in a folder to *.jpg in another. It should first move all files to a new folder, where they would then be converted and sorted by type.

Code:
    move contents of starmade screenshots directory to convert directory
    change working directory to convert directory
    for each file in convert dir
        check if extenstion = .png && there is NOT a file with the same name as .jpg
           convert file to jpg
           move file to finished directory

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Perhaps PNGs take less time to encode and that is why they're used instead of JPEG. It appears that jpeg takes longer to encode with the compression. Schema really seems to try to pull every little performance trick possible, so this might be one of them.

If you're sick of converting write a (bash/powershell) script that executes as soon as you log off of starmade that converts all *.png in a folder to *.jpg in another. It should first move all files to a new folder, where they would then be converted and sorted by type.

Code:
    move contents of starmade screenshots directory to convert directory
    change working directory to convert directory
    for each file in convert dir
        check if extenstion = .png && there is NOT a file with the same name as .jpg
           convert file to jpg
           move file to finished directory
    unfortunately i don't know how to do that :(

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    but... ehg... *.JPGs....

I've found it better to just upload to an external site like imgur, personally. Plus, all your screenshots are backed up online then.

Reaction score
    but... ehg... *.JPGs....

I've found it better to just upload to an external site like imgur, personally. Plus, all your screenshots are backed up online then.
    I hate it when people do that I find that it slows down the loading of pages a great deal. If it took 2 seconds to load normally, with imgur it takes 20 seconds.
    unfortunately i don't know how to do that :(
    Here's a bash script that does exactly what I promised:
    It depends on the package ImageMagick.
    It also resizes the files to 50% the original size. You can change that by looking at the convert command documentation.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #@author Commodore Decker
    #@date November 28, 2014
    #Converts all the *.PNG in a directory to *.jpg
    #then moves the converted file to a converted directory

mkdir Converted
    shopt -s nullglob
    for f in *.png
    do
        echo "Converting: $f"
        # the cmd below converts the file
        convert "$f" -resize 50% "$f.jpg"
        mv "$f.jpg" Converted
    done
    If you're on windows, just get cygwin. Why anyone would ever use the default windows terminal is beyond me.

Reaction score
    It is beyond me why anyone would ever use windows, but that's a completely different story.
    Compatibility and it was preinstalled on my computer. It's better for playing the big name games. Other than that windows is terrible. I think the hardware manufacturers like having a closed source platform for their drivers. Windows is slow and fat.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Compatibility and it was preinstalled on my computer. It's better for playing the big name games. Other than that windows is terrible. I think the hardware manufacturers like having a closed source platform for their drivers.
    Don't forget windows updates regularly breaking drivers(at least it happens on my side regularly)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It's been a long, long time since I used it, but I seemed to remember IrfanView on Windows (only on Windows) had a killer multi-file converter that worked very well.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    You must have a bunch of vendor specific hardware. Or just a bunch of cameras and printers. I simply don't install crap I don't need on windows.
    Nope, that all isn't the case. The computer was built to run both linux and windows. As such, I doubt any vendor-specific hardware was used.
    Also, I have neither cameras nor printers.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I prefer using Windows, since I play a lot of big PC games as well. Mac is terrible, and Linux... I prefer to use Linux only at places where I only do job related stuff.

Reaction score
    Nope, that all isn't the case. The computer was built to run both linux and windows. As such, I doubt any vendor-specific hardware was used.
    Also, I have neither cameras nor printers.
    Then you must have some ancient drivers on your computer (Windows XP era). M$ doesn't support old hardware. Or maybe the drivers are just poorly written.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Then you must have some ancient drivers on your computer (Windows XP era). M$ doesn't support old hardware. Or maybe the drivers are just poorly written.
    Computer was built for win7+linux dualboot, there shouldn't be XP-era drivers on there
    however, let's take this to pm, shall we?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Pngs are better anyway. I usually crop mine to get them to upload, but it would be nice if the site auto reduced them for you.