option to limit ship size

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    we need two values in the cfg that limit the size of ships for serverside reasons

1. longest ship dimension
    2. largest ship mass

if one tries to spawn in a ship that excedes these limits, it will simply not spawn and you will get your money back

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I don't see a problem with this, it would be really useful on servers which have those couple of players that spawn lag inducing ships (you know who you are!)
    I wouldn't imagine this would be that hard to implement either.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm pretty sure they already mean this, but it shouldn't let you place blocks on a ship that has reached the mass/size limit.

Can we set size limits for stations, too?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    There probably could be one, if you would set it to -1, like has been done with numerous options in the config. Personally, I would set the max loading size to whatever the size is of 3x3x3 chunks, and I would like to see an option to never make a ship or station spawn outside the visible sector, and that it won't spawn if there is an object inside the area it would spawn in.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I think what the devs are going for is to allow players to build as large as they want, but knowing that there is a point where the larger you build, the less efficient your systems will be.

I'm not a big fan of arbitrary size limits in general, I'd rather soft caps on certain values to encourage building smaller.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think what the devs are going for is to allow players to build as large as they want, but knowing that there is a point where the larger you build, the less efficient your systems will be.

I'm not a big fan of arbitrary size limits in general, I'd rather soft caps on certain values to encourage building smaller.
    what I am thinking about are for say dogfighting themed servers, or simply if one is hosting a server on a not so powerful system, then it would be required so that nobody trolls.

Reaction score
    The game already rejects small builds. The new weapon system doubles the size weapons have to be to be effective.

I like to build small. My largest effective build is only 64 blocks long. The way the game is going, it seems to actively discourage small builds.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The game already rejects small builds. The new weapon system doubles the size weapons have to be to be effective.

I like to build small. My largest effective build is only 64 blocks long. The way the game is going, it seems to actively discourage small builds.
    Wrong. You do not need to double the weapons size to be effective. Cut your old systems in half, and replace them with slave modules. The DPS will remain the same as if you left it as a single, unslaved weapon system.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold

I didn't say they were doing a good job of it. They've stated multiple times that their end goal is to make all ship sizes viable, for different roles.

Reaction score
    Wrong. You do not need to double the weapons size to be effective. Cut your old systems in half, and replace them with slave modules. The DPS will remain the same as if you left it as a single, unslaved weapon system.
    I tried that. It uses twice the power, and the rate of fire is slow as balls.

The system is terribly balanced in its current state.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11

Twice the power of the old system, or twice the power when in a master:slave system? Because if it's the second one, it shouldn't be doing that. You get 1 damage : 10 E (except with beams which are probably bugged), regardless of how the system is set up.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold

The issue with the current system is that shields do not scale well at all. I'm going to expand on this in another topic so I'll leave it be for now