Optimize ALL of the things!

Should Schema take a week or two specifically to improve starmade's performance?

• Yes, focus on performance for one build.

Votes: 5 31.3%
    • No, the game performs well enough now.

Votes: 1 6.3%
    • No, optimizations are progressing fast enough already.

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As many of the computer-savvy players among us already know, Java is not the best for games because it runs on a virtual machine and therefore does not perform as well as C++. It is good, however, because Schema is able to develop much faster with fewer people. The thing is, my frame rate STINKS on my laptop, the best computer I own. (It's not a crappy laptop, mind you. This was considered pretty powerful three years ago when I got it.)

I think some good optimizations will improve player experience as much as a good content update (as the excellent occlusion culling update demonstrates). As such, I think there should be one build that focuses entirely on optimization, both client and server. In other words, stop developing content for just a week or two to focus on making the game faster and more playable on machines that are not brand new or very high end.

Note before posting: I don't take kindly to idiots commenting "buy a new computer" like they cost five bucks at the supermarket. Contrary to what a lot of fools may think, most people do not have $500 to spare.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Optimisation should come after schema decided what the game needs in it's core to reach all goals set for it's future (such as remote control, lua, NPCs, etc)

Changing an optimized system is harder (and more wasteful) than changing a more plain or modular system.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I think that optimizations should be timed correctly if we want their effects to last. It's been proven time and time again that Starmade's performance after updates is random with a slight upwards correlation. Each feature added has a chance to break other features and optimizations.
    I'm thinking it would be best to wait until the end of a very long patch cycle or until we begin advertising to set optimization as priority #1. That way we're not immediately overwriting the changes and breaking them again.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    90% of the time schema dedicates to coding the game is used to work on the game's engine and optimize it. This has already been stated MULTIPLE times.

As I've stated in the past, there's no point in going 100% optimization when only half the features are in. Considering that a new feature could completely cripple all the optimization that has been made and require some recoding.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Optimization is a really important point but you have to remind yourself that half the game isn´t finished. He can´t optimize what isn´t there yet. This is one of the last points he should invest work into.

The other thing is, StarMade runs really good. If I wouldn´t know it and someone told me: "Hey there is a minecraft like game in space in which you can build space ships with thousands of blocks.", my first response would be: "And how the heck should this run?" But as you see it works pretty good.

So stop asking for things in alpha which aren´t broken. There is so much more important work to do now.

(For you interest I play on a 8 year old pc and it works good. Maybe your Laptop isn´t as great as you think.)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Optimization is a really important point but you have to remind yourself that half the game isn´t finished. He can´t optimize what isn´t there yet. This is one of the last points he should invest work into.

The other thing is, StarMade runs really good. If I wouldn´t know it and someone told me: "Hey there is a minecraft like game in space in which you can build space ships with thousands of blocks.", my first response would be: "And how the heck should this run?" But as you see it works pretty good.

So stop asking for things in alpha which aren´t broken. There is so much more important work to do now.

(For you interest I play on a 8 year old pc and it works good. Maybe your Laptop isn´t as great as you think.)
    millions of blocks* :P