Opaque cargo space

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Would be nice if we could manufacture, or place opaque cargo space blocks.
    No transparency, full collisions, normal mode block.
    Or alternatively a graphics setting to set them to render as full and ignore their fill state.

Current cargo space blocks eat into FPS something fierce until they are in the fully filled state, so this would be a nice FPS booster in large bases or cargo ships.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How about place a storage block, and then when slaved to the master storage block, it transforms into a full-size cargo block (random texture), ready to accept cargo? No new blocks required, and it kind-of makes sense, so it wouldn't be too hard for new players to figure out.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Or just optimize the empty blocks so that they work like glass or any normal transparent block, i.e. make them not try to render internal geometry. Transparency isn't really the culprit here.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Or just optimize the empty blocks so that they work like glass or any normal transparent block, i.e. make them not try to render internal geometry. Transparency isn't really the culprit here.
    I don't think he is concerned with transparency. I think slab storage is the problem.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't think he is concerned with transparency. I think slab storage is the problem.
    Slab storage is not the problem; massive blocks of empty storage are. Rendering masses of connected slabs barely causes any more lag than blocks, and you have to remember that it only makes slabs on the top surface of a cargo mass anyway.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    This sounds more and more like a bug. I didn't see any fps drops with empty storage containers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    How about place a storage block, and then when slaved to the master storage block, it transforms into a full-size cargo block (random texture), ready to accept cargo? No new blocks required, and it kind-of makes sense, so it wouldn't be too hard for new players to figure out.
    that would mean you couldn't have any sorting or auto pull systems