On Power and Aesthetics

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So while fairly new and getting to grips with the way the power systems work I( was looking into effecient yet aethetically pleasing layouts for power generators. I saw a layout in a youtube video that looked nice, and that got me playing with my own version.

http://i.imgur.com/maJMuYh.jpg

The one on the right is the one I saw, the left one is mine, it is about 200 points better, which increases with size. If stretched out (not duplicated) it is more effecient then the right one (duplicated). Though the stretching would only work in one direction, it would be possible to duplicate in other dimensions.

My question is this, is there any other arrangements about as efficient that also look good?

Edit: Image size wasn't staying small, used link instead.

Reaction score
    It amazes me that people still try to build reactors instead of power spars. Unless your ship is tiny it is more efficient to put the power blocks in 1x1xn lines that run down the long axis. This can easily be part of a floor or wall.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think you missed my point, I want to have effecient power production that is also aethetically pleasing, sure I could make an amouphous blob with amazing stats, but that would defeat the point of making a nice looking ship, no? Being able to walk around a space ship and it feel like a spaceship not an uber powerful rock.. type.. thing, I guess, maybe.. would be nice.

Reaction score
    I do aesthetic reactor rooms as rooms with the walls made of power tanks and lights down the middle vaguely warp-coil-ish. Power tanks can be any shape so long as they all touch and have a nice radioactive ambiance.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I like having spiral based reactors right next to eachother, alternating directions.

I also managed to use a spiral branch design to make a 7x7x8 circular reactor that I could easily extend.

Reaction score
    \"My question is this, is there any other arrangements about as efficient that also look good?\"

I am not sure, what kinda power are you pushing out with this?

With that, I will say that I, even though it seems highly unpopular here, go with the \"power core\" mentality as well. It is, IMHO, a sci-fi staple. Having decided that, I have been shooting for maximizing my output in 3x3, 5x5, 7x7, and considering 9x9 power cores, where I put the ship core with it. My catalog is filled with versions of each and my next goal is to go with a ship classification system based on power core sizes.

I say all that for encouragement. You are not alone... though spiral/coal reactors sound interesting as well.

Best,

MyBane

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve been playing with the idea of a \'power spine\' along the ships back, then running lines where appropriate from there. The idea of a warp coil type thing is a nice thought, one I\'ve played with before, and I might include one in this idea. A spiral design sounds odd, I\'d have to see it, cus the image I have in my head would be rather hard to implement.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    If you make a Power Spine, make sure it\'s *at least* 1x2 or some such and make a 3x2 joint wherever it branches off. Reasoning: You don\'t want your powerline cut in combat.

It\'s happened to me too often .-.

As for the Spiral concept - imagine a 5cube.
    There are 4 power rods sticking up in the corners and note that they\'re 1x5x1. If you tilt them and make them go to the corners of a face of the cube, they\'re now 5x5x1. Twist it even further and it\'s now 5x5x5.

Just make the rods \"Spiral\" around the outer sides of your reactor, then add extra rods into the center as necessary. It works for both cubes and circles.