Old worlds incompatible with new galaxy system?

Reaction score
    so playing with the dev build i loaded up my old world to see what happens, and i got an error saying "array index out of bounds exception".

so this brings up the question, is this a bug? or are old worlds simply incompatible with the new system? will we have to make new worlds once the update officially hits? has anyone else tried loading an older world in the new dev builds? (dont forget to back up!)

* also on that note, i seem to be unable to downgrade back to the official releases. after i select release branch in the launcher, the game still loads up with the last dev build i had downloaded. am i doing it wrong? if i remember correctly i was previously able to switch between versions simply by selecting which branch i wanted to use in the launcher before loading the game. am i trippin? *

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    [02/10/2014 15:53:17] James Rimmer: This universe update is going to require a server reset isnt it :/
    [02/10/2014 19:32:39] Schema: yeah

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    When downgrading you have to press the "download normal" option by the screen where you can select a version.

Reaction score
    so this brings up the question, is this a bug?
    I'd say yes.

or are old worlds simply incompatible with the new system? will we have to make new worlds once the update officially hits? has anyone else tried loading an older world in the new dev builds? (dont forget to back up!)
    I can't report any problems thus far. With yesterday's dev version my old universe still worked fine.

A universe reset is required to get the new universe structure. Old worlds, however, should continue to work (afaik).

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    It's a bug. I downgraded from .179 to .178 last night so I could keep working on my ships.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    you guys dont have 2 separate instalations for dev and release?
    why..

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    you guys dont have 2 separate instalations for dev and release?
    why..
    I do but the "Installation settings" don't care and are universal and I accidentally installed the dev builds over my primary game a while back. It's also good to find bugs like this before release because then when the update gets pushed to public every world already created doesn't immediately die.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    The old universe should work fine even if you are running the latest update. Schema doesn't want to force the new universe down your throat so any server owner can switch over on his own terms. It should be fixed now for the next Dev-Build (which is the one after 0.179).

Thanks for notifying us.

Reaction score
    Generally with any beta game you should be expecting to lose progress at least once.

Besides, maybe they've fixed or improved planets by now.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Generally with any beta game you should be expecting to lose progress at least once.

Besides, maybe they've fixed or improved planets by now.
    I would've rated that optimistic if it wasn't considered a dislike button...