Okay... this game makes my FX 8350 run hot!

Reaction score
    I only just noticed after AMD Overdrive then viewing it while playing Starmade. Not only is my CPU in its boost clock mode (looked like 4.2 GHZ), but its thermal threshold was over by -6 to -10 degrees celsius. Are there any settings I can fiddle with to cut down on my CPU's workload or is this normal for anyone who plays Starmade?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    StarMade runs almost completly on the CPU. This game is very calculation heavy. So yeah it can get kinda hot.

You might be able to use the energy control in Windows to throttle the CPU as a last resort.

In the server.cfg you can find this line:

CHUNK_REQUEST_THREAD_POOL_SIZE_CPU = 1 //Available threads of total for CPU generation. WARNING: too high can cause cpu spikes. About the amount of available cores minus one is best

You have an eight core CPU so max setting for this would be 7. Though if you want to run cool maybe less is better. Try working it.

Reaction score
    I used to have CPU heat issues too. Turns out my CPUs dedicated fan was much dirtier than I appreciated from the outside. I had to take it off and scrub it out. After that I was golden.

Reaction score
    Cleaned out my PC while installing my new graphics card. And set the server.cfg file as suggested. However, nothing's changed as far as temperature is concerned.... Also, the default setting was 2 CPUs...

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Cleaned out my PC while installing my new graphics card. And set the server.cfg file as suggested. However, nothing's changed as far as temperature is concerned.... Also, the default setting was 2 CPUs...
    Is it a specific core or two getting hot? if you measure the temperature of your heat sink is it significantly different than the temp of the CPU's internal thermo? You might have bad thermal paste, or "broken" the bond between chip&sink when you cleaned it. even a little wiggle on old/dry/cured thermal paste can cause horrible conductivity issues.

Reaction score
    What thermal paste do you recommend? One of the things I want to do is replace the thermal paste. And all CPUs are going over AMD Overdrives temperature threshold for the CPU.

Reaction score
    Yep. Still have my tube of it. And I keep reading that the pee method is the best way to apply it, no matter the CPU...

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    The 8350 is a hot chip. You really need to either lower the voltage as much as possible or get a better cooler.

Reaction score
    Well, reapplied the thermal paste using the pee method, cleaned out the fans by hand (carefully and lovingly wiping off every fan blade casting powerful wind spells to kill any dust bunnies hiding in the fan hub), and removing then seating my memory module and graphics cards. Also turned off my CPU's turbo function and lowered its multiplier as I forgot how to lower my voltage on this ASUS board.

So far only Starmade makes my CPU work so hard. At least it's not taking my CPU above its thermal threshold anymore.

-edit-
    Yep. Looks like turning off the chip's turbo function and keeping it at 4 ghz did it. Starmade would apparently do something that left it on, making my CPU pretty hot. I guess I can do without the .2 ghz of speed...

Last edited: