Oh a space game! So many Ideas.

Reaction score
    Now I will be basing all my suggestions for this game in categories, and each suggestion is my own. If anyone else has already suggested these things listed below, I'm pleased to know other people have the same ideas I do. Now the suggestions I will be adding are for -

Game-Play

Server Panel

Admin Privlidges

Alright, time to get started with this post. *clicks pen*

GamePlay -

The key element in every game, is to have an active community, and stuff to do in your game. As well as making it as simple as possible to play. Simplicity, is not for sandbox games to though, and that's understandable. It's as simple as it gets... tutorial may need to be updated though.

Now, first I'm going to stay with Space Stations. Space Stations are a huge key factor of the game, and cost an enormous amount of money (depending on server.) to create. Especially to repair one of the 3 pre-made stations that don't instantly fire missles at you. No stations, need to have the ability to do more things. The first thing is protection, we can spend hours making turrets look nice. I mean, in my server, the space station I created has mac cannons hanging off the side, which are as big as people's biggest ship. I had to save a blueprint, since if it gets destroyed, I'd have to rebuild it. If stations could actually save the turrets information that's connected to it, and store it in a blueprint.. while being able to re-build/repair the turrets over time. That would be awesome. It can be a shop, so why not take items from it's own shop and rebuild the turret with them. Of course, I don't mean instantly. Like, how it highlights the turret space. In the build block, just click build space and tell it what compatible turret you want it to build. Or click it, and select a repair option to repare the turret.

Another thing is, Turrets are turning way too fast. I understand they're turrets, but legit. Mac cannons turning at the speed of light is a scary thing. 500,000 damage turrets aiming at you instantly, ok. Now, this isn't really much of a sandbox element, though it's very time consuming to re-do things over and over again. It can create boredom.

Another thing, is to add more features to the space Station.
    - Ship Yards
    These are capable of building ships from the blueprints that are saved within it's system. So that way, it can create compatible ships within the station using the items. Of course it has to have the necessary items before it can ever get started on building the ship. This is of course giving it unlimited options, making bigger stations a priority, as they can do more things.
    -Engineers
    As much as I hate to say it, the space station needs a way to repair itself. Players spend hours building stations. The station should be able to repair itself over time. After you are done with it in build mode that is. Of course this can be activated by a specific block, and it should take a lot of power. Of course, if the block is destroyed, it makes it so the block has to be replaced, and making it unable to repair itself. Of course, the space station blue prints should be a savable thing, so people can place the block and add the blueprints so it can start building it over time. In fact, I believe all blueprints should be in the shipyard, and said engineering block. Though, that's my belief.
    -Wiring Systems
    I want wiring systems for space stations. Making it so lights can be turned on and off, in the control room. Making it so I can make hanger doors open from a specific room by having co-operation within the faction of some one who maintains it open the hangar door for players. Of course, shield doors are apparently being added, so those can exist as well. Also, the wiring system is how I can enable, and disable things.
    -Bigger editing field.
    As decent as the builder is already, building huge replicas of things can be very time consuming and around 4 hours can be taken out if you just give me the option to have greater build size than z10 x10 y10. Build block is the same as you're building a ship.
    -Docking
    I know docking already exist in the game, though it's very "weird". Hard to describe, but docking is pretty instant, and I believe the ship should turn itself and land on the platform. As well as slowly hover off of it when you disconnect it.

I'm a forger, and a gamer. I love creating things. So lets get down to business. That's just the space station.

Bobby A.I.

Woot, A.I Controlled ships and turrets! Yes, finally! A game that allows me to have turrets and a mass amount of them. Now, lets get down to what I want these A.I functions to do. I want some advanced A.I stuff, so get a notebook devs, this will be as long as the space station. A.I's like any other thing, are artificial intelligence that can learn a player's moves and work against that. I want the A.I's the longer they survive, the better their aim becomes. At this time, all A.I's aim is like a storm trooper. They fire in every direction hoping to hit their target. Legit, worst A.I functionality I've seen in turrets Haha. Give it a heat seeking missle, only way they hit things. Of course, I'm talking about turrets. I also want turrets to have a range, that you can see what range they are able to shoot. A blue holographic sphere that tells me it's range. I also want to tell the A.I, what he should fire at. What if I want him to shoot at friendlies with a shield thing? Or a power supply thing? Making it that my turrets can heal friendlies, while attacking enemies. Or even support each other. Like, say if guy gets below 50% shields, fire shield beam at specific player.

Now, A.I ships. I want fighters to be able to dock on my ship, and when an enemy appears, it fly off the ship, out to help me fight the enemy, then comes back to the ship after all enemies disappear. Legit, the guy just takes off, "BYE SWASH, I DON'T LOVE YOU ANYMORE" Stops, and never moves until an enemy appears. I want him to have functions like, "patrol around this time, stop, eat lunch, re-dock" Which goes back to the station being able to heal it's friendly A.I ships. Look, it all adds together. Now, the A.I, needs a range that he can be in, and know when he should turn back. The A.I needs to ability to barrel roll, and do a bit of things to prevent his ship from getting hit. Not just sit there. Also going back, specific ships attacking specific enemies, go after larger mass, go after small mass. Ect. These are key targets. Like I want my mac turret to shoot at a tiny fighter rather than the UNSC infinity that's heading my way. Also, setting enemy ships the ship just sits there and dies. Make them fly around a bit more, I want patrol options, standby, then patrol options. It's an A.I, why make it so simple when this game could have so much more!, oh wait. It's Alpha, and it's not even near finished. Good thing I'm giving you my ideas right?

Ships -

Now, let's get on to the next subject. Ships, my spacecraft. I believe, you should be able to have thrusters help in turning of the ship. Like legit, I can warp in any direction, just by having a waypoint. Then have my camera on the other side, and fire through my entire ship to kill the enemy by the guns going backwards. Yes, this works game developers, so turning your large mass ship creates no difference if there's a nice easy way around it. Of course, I can only turn and thrust correctly using one specific camera, but at least by that time the mac cannon that just fire the opposite direction has already killed the enemy. So yes, PLEASE Let us turn faster with better thrusters.

Now, lets get on with the weapon systems. They should be much more customizable. Like, what if I want my missle to like, do zig-zags instead of just go straight. What if I want it to shoot up, and do a circle to the enemy instead of just zig zagging and firing through the ship at him. Like legit mac cannon fire in a direct 180 degree angle to show somebody love. WHAT KIND OF MAGIC. Though, there should be more ways to make missles lock on, rather than just heat seek whatever they want. As well, as improve their flight patterns. In all honesty, I want my ship to be able to have passengers fire missles that they control. New weapons baby! You have 3 types of weapons that can be changed by linking others. So, add new types of missles, and patterns. As well as new types of guns. Maybe even for sound effects, higher armor piercing, some to be good against shields, but bad against armor. Also, we should have more ways to get around shield, like. A shield supply center, where players who get inside the ship can take out shields from inside, making fighters more usable. Taking ships out from the inside, and those pointless weapons your character comes with, can be used to take out ceiling turrets and stuff. As well as have more weapons than 4. Rocket launchers, shotguns, is that too nope for this game.

Now lets get with human. The human in that game is pointless, legit you the guy floating in space and you're totally useless to everyone and the easiest to kill. That's right, you who spawned without a space station or ship cause the one we destroyed by shooting at a 180 degree angle was yours. He needs to have the ability to teleport or something. Maybe, a restart button with the default server stuff. I mean, he's legit screwed. Player has left your server. That's because no one helps a noob too often. Of course that's my thoughts.

Ah, that's all for ships and humans. Hmm, what to cover! Oh right, enemy A.I's!

Pirates -

First let me change above thing to, enemy A.I. I want more A.I's, I mean it's space. Are space pirates the only thing that exist in space. GG. We need a variety of enemies, and space stations like.. my frigate and it's turrets can afk kill their station and fighters. GG. Now, this suggestion thread was serious at first, but I'm still serious and just trying to entertain the readers, with a more immature thread that helps people continue reading.

First off, we need more A.I's with their own difficulty. For example
    Pirates - Easy
    Aliens - Normal
    Robots - Hard

Of course you can add races, from more of a fantasy type deal. Legit, lets get going.
    -Neko Girls
    -Dwarves
    -Elves
    -Dragons

I mean, it's space. Anything can happen. Neko girls especially. If you need any help building a lot of variety of original ships, and stations for these enemies, I would be more than willing to help. As we need more of a variety. Also the enemies need to come at you on a daily bases, in waves. Also, the longer your station is alive, the harder the waves become till a specific wave. Of course, you can increase fighters damage and things, while when players get in it, it would only be the normal 3 cannons instead of the 10,000 it immitates. I mean, you build all these defenses against players, and most people don't even use them. I want to be able to feel progression, not know I'm invincible to space pirates that are super easy. Even the decayed stations that fire missles at you don't deal enough damage to cause too much harm. Also, adding more races and a variety of enemies that come at you will increase player awareness, making them want to continue playing just to see what's going to happen next. Maybe add so many races, and other things that keep players super interested in exploration! I mean, what's the point of me exploring, to build a planet eater and mine everyones stuff. Legit, that's what I do. My life in that game, is mine planet. Sell. Mine planet. Factory. Factory. Build. build, No explortion, no giant caves, no giant structures full of enemies and surprises. These things are great for sandbox add them.

Also, the worlds are all the same size. Legit, our galaxy has thousands of planets and they are all full of shapes and sizes, and that's wonderful! We need a variety of planets. Also the core, on the planet deserves to be replaced with a bedrock. Not some gif, of a magma core that lags a lot of players. Planets are things people stay away from. At least make them more fun to be around and less laggy for other players. FPS drops to the maximum.

To be honest, this will be way to long if I continue with all my ideas. So if you want all of them please email me at [email protected]

Now, time to go on to the other ideas.

Server Console.

So, now that my space station is more useful, A.I's are not completely useless anymore, and there are more enemy stations with shipyards that build A.I's to attack players attacking them as well as send waves at my station. We got yourself a great space game!

I own a server, and pay for it. I love Starmade and bought a server with game-servers who like to suck. Now, we need a server console that has admin power, as well as the debug. I hate seeing debug in game, and would rather see all this stuff on a server console that generates a .txt. Legit, the thing on the side disappears after a very small amount of time. I also want to have player groups, like guest and member. Making it so guest can't build but members can. Moderators to be able to ban and kick only, and admins that have all power which already exist. Also, the console can over-ride anything. Like, spawn blueprints in locations without going through shipyard. Admin load exist ik, but yeah. I have a totally useless server pretty much since it's only a server and I can only do stuff in game and in the folders. Now I can't just have a chat up and watch anime.

Admins.

Admins need to able to ... actually you got admins pretty legit. I like it. I wanted to just tell you good job on this one, Admins are how they should be.

Now I had a lot more game-play ideas with explanations. I will personally email you if you want, though I will not list them all here, as there are so many. I have ideas for most of the following

-Respawning
    -Timing
    -Wiring Systems (more in depth)
    -Forge, Builder mode, creative mode
    -Admin Space Stations
    -Admin Over-Riding

Also, a lot more in game talk that's more or less bug fixes, game adds, and slight tweaks that can make all the difference. I won't talk about these because that will be another 10 hours of suggestions and 100,000 more characters of words.

Now, to conclude. The game is already awesome and I know it's in Alpha, and a lot of my suggestions are already being considered, or posted at least once before. Of course, I have personal suggestions, though I didn't want to make too long of a thread.

Good job on the SandBox Game-Owner, can't wait to see your future updates, and I will definitely continue to donate if you show improvements.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Holy damn. That is a lot to take in.

Now don't take this the wrong way, you seem to be very excited about this game and want to see it progress. I do need to point out some major things/concerns about what you've stated. Seeing as you've joined the forums on Tuesday, I will assume you're just as new to playing. As such I expect that you would have missed some things. Nonetheless...

Turrets are turning way too fast.
    Turrets are getting a rework in the next patch. It will hopefully come with the rail update which is the next major feature. There are plans to limit the capability of larger turrets.

Ship Yards
    Already Planned. Major feature with plenty of discussion here on the forums.

Wiring Systems
    Already in the game? Check out logic blocks. This will basically do everything you asked for.

Bigger editing field.
    This can be edited on a per-server basis in the server config. Look for player_max_build_area or something like that.

At this time, all A.I's aim is like a storm trooper.
    Chances are your AI difficulty is set to easy. Bump it up to hard and they will hit you up to 2 kilometers away.

Stormtroopers missed on purpose. Darth Vader put a tracking beacon on Han's ship in order to find the rebel base. He kinda needed them alive to do that...

A blue holographic sphere that tells me it's range.
    Considering everyone is under the restriction of the same speed limit on a server, I could see this being a big exploit. People would just reverse once they see this target hitting them and basically stay out of the range of weapons indefinitely.

I want fighters to be able to dock on my ship
    Planned. No details, but this is something I am sure the devs want to see / willing to do.

I believe, you should be able to have thrusters help in turning of the ship.
    Thrust is supposed to get reworked entirely. When or if this is happening is unknown but it might solve your issue here when it is implemented.

zig-zags instead of just go straight
    This seems trivial. I see very little impact on gameplay by having a missile zigzag. It would waste the missiles flight time and probably be less effective.

there should be more ways to make missles lock on
    Use missile/beam or missile/damage pulse.

I want my ship to be able to have passengers fire missles that they control
    You should already be able to do this via weapon computers.

You have 3 types of weapons
    Did I mention damage pulse? There are 4 weapons.

Rocket launchers, shotguns, is that too nope for this game.
    The entire system was designed to be expanded upon. Schema could probably add new weapons in a day. We can ask to fill in the gaps later. What we need right now is major features of the game to be in place.

We need a variety of enemies
    Planned.

Neko girls especially
    Really? Cat ladies? I am sure we will find something similar when the procedurally generated NPC's come about, which is a planned feature.

Also the enemies need to come at you on a daily bases
    The game shouldn't force you to enter PVE consistently. Players should be able to opt out if they want. While I am creative building I do not want to have to deal with sudden and ongoing waves of pirates.

Also, the worlds are all the same size
    Worlds vary in size based on server settings in the config file. More planets / features are planned.

Also the core, on the planet deserves to be replaced with a bedrock
    There are very good reasons why the core cannot be made of a solid material. It would interfere with gravity as well as the building of structures on planets. This has been heavily discussed. We also do not really need to render any more blocks on planets. They are the biggest source of lag because of the block count and loading them, not because of the animated core.

So. That's pretty much a response to half your thread. Some of the stuff here is legit. However, in the future I would suggest learning more about the game and what is being developed. I am sure you wouldn't be writing out an entire paragraph for suggestions if you knew they were already planned.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Moderators to be able to ban and kick only, and admins that have all power which already exist.
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/deny-admin-commands-guide-for-admins-txt-v0-189.5571/ I believe this might be what you are looking for this this regard?
    higher armor piercing, some to be good against shields, but bad against armor.
    Those are "effects". The basis of the game is allow unrestricted combinations, meaning no weapons will ever be flat out "not good against X". You'd want to explore effects, which can do things like Bonus shield damage (Ion) or pierce blocks (Punch and Pierce).
    That's because no one helps a noob too often.
    Depends on the server there really. You could probably write a wrapper with a /reset command really, the problem is people storing the items and farming the starting materials (Not that there is even much of them to start with, so probably a moot issue).
    If you need any help building a lot of variety of original ships, and stations for these enemies, I would be more than willing to help. As we need more of a variety.
    We actually had a contest for Stations not that long ago, all kinds of people made stations and submitted them. I'm not sure if the Vanilla game will ever expand past the 2 NPC factions (Pirate and Trade guild) but we will get options for custom AI factions someday, and players will no doubt make plenty to choose from.
    Engineers
    Something like this is "Astrotech", a beam that slowly repairs a damaged block. While right now it's not that useful, I imagine the HP update will allow you to repair damaged ships and stations with it (Hopefully).
    not know I'm invincible
    The problem with that is you can be invincible. Faction homebases are immune to damage (with an option with the ability to lose that protection in the configs though), so while it may seem like a challenge at first, you could easily just 'tank' and harvest the supplies. It's also worth noting that sectors unload when there are no players around, so things like AI attack while players are offline is impossible afaik.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    He needs to have the ability to teleport or something.
    A plex-undeathinator can help there, as it sets your spawnpoint to somewhere else.(I recommend the homebase for that, as homebases are usually invincible)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The game shouldn't force you to enter PVE consistently. Players should be able to opt out if they want. While I am creative building I do not want to have to deal with sudden and ongoing waves of pirates.
    I would be loved to be forced into it constantly :P And that is why creative mode is planned with probably peaceful mode etc etc

Reaction score
    Neko girls were a tease, though to reply to some of you, I did know that ship yards, and turret system were being re-made.
    I just wanted to throw my opinions regarding how they function. I'm a bit new to running the server, and going around the configurations. I've been exploring it daily, glad people pointed out a couple things for me! Super helpful.

Some of the stuff, that may have been in development I also wanted to throw in my ideas for. Maybe it could have cleared up a few things, as I wanted to state a lot more than the basic functions of the items. The wiring system, however I did not know about. I will try to look upon that, but if it's too complicated it'll be very fun to fiddle with and get use to it.

I did state "Now I will be basing all my suggestions for this game in categories, and each suggestion is my own. If anyone else has already suggested these things listed below, I'm pleased to know other people have the same ideas I do."

As well as "The game is already awesome and I know it's in Alpha, and a lot of my suggestions are already being considered, or posted at least once before."

A lot of what you said I didn't fully know though, as I am newer to this game (Forging a bunch on it)

For a game to offer so much in Alpha, it is pretty awesome. It really is lacking a big community, and I offer my full support to this game.

Thanks for all the replies, great to know big stuff is planned!

Now, I didn't fully get ideas listed, as I have a mass variety.
    -Building
    (Goes into long details of how to create a better builder and highlight specified blocksin the ship, that turn the other blocks holographic, making it easier to find faction modules on those pirate ships that you dL cause they look cool and don't place the faction module by the core)

Edit: I said turrets need to display their range when editing the actual turret. Which means within the builder, not outside of it. Players shouldn't see turret ranges when not in the builder.... of the ship containing the docking module of the turret.

Last edited: