Read by Council Official Starmade server health satellite program

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The game needs an external program that launches when you're hosting a starmade server. It will periodically (configurable) check to make sure it's not locked up for too long or flat-out crashed. If it detects this, it'll try to close the current instance and automatically reload it back up. It will have an option to detect updates and automatically apply them and restart as well.

Come on it's current year, we shouldn't need external scripts to do this. ;););)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    locked up for too long or flat-out crashed
    Sadly, detecting that won't always be possible. If a large part of the game deadlocks itself, but the part telling the satellite program, that everything is fine, is not affected, how will the satellite know the server is locked up, after all, it is told, that everything is fine?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't know the details of programming something like this, but I believe the current wrappers/plugins send data to the server and look for something specific sent back, like a whisper. It doesn't have to be perfect under all circumstances, but anything would be sweet.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Sadly, detecting that won't always be possible. If a large part of the game deadlocks itself, but the part telling the satellite program, that everything is fine, is not affected, how will the satellite know the server is locked up, after all, it is told, that everything is fine?
    Well if a server wrapper guy can do it whats stopping Schine?

Reaction score
    BTW this is super easy to do. You just have to make the satellite program act as a client periodically. It will try to connect to the server and if it can connect and make normal functions in-game work then it does nothing. Otherwise, or if it attempts to connect for too long (times out) then it kills the server process and restarts it. Simple as that.

EDIT: Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the script works this way, and probably anyone with some knowledge of programming and starmade could do this as a third party software. This may be why they have not bothered doing anything with it.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    BTW this is super easy to do. You just have to make the satellite program act as a client periodically. It will try to connect to the server and if it can connect and make normal functions in-game work then it does nothing. Otherwise, or if it attempts to connect for too long (times out) then it kills the server process and restarts it. Simple as that.

EDIT: Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the script works this way, and probably anyone with some knowledge of programming and starmade could do this as a third party software. This may be why they have not bothered doing anything with it.
    While possible, the testing script would be spawned as a player too. I do not know whether or not that would be desirable.

Reaction score
    While possible, the testing script would be spawned as a player too. I do not know whether or not that would be desirable.
    Though that is true. There could be programmed in a spectator client that can not interact in the game but only observe. Or you can have the server assign itself a unique ID that this satellite program requires and give it privileges to connect as a player, but an invisible one.

This is just a thought anyway. Like I said it may be that Schine has planned not to do this because they are working on more important things, and a third party will definitely fill this void at some point. Possibly even in the form of a mod.