Obi's Suggestion on New Weapons

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hello all!

Basing my knowledge off of other games and the movies of Star Wars, I thought I might as well share my thoughts on possible new weapons. It's highly doubtful any of these will be implemented, but it will be greatly appreciated if they were at least read by a few testers, administrators, and moderators. Basically, all those who hold StarMade's structure. Some of these ideas were mentioned before, but these are a bit different and what those weapons should be in my point of view.

LASER CANNONS

The basic weapon system, and may be very related. This laser is probably the most accurate when aiming in a sight range. The more piled, the more power. They do indeed have a recharge after its dedicated energy is drained.

TURBO LASERS

These weapons have little power when attempting to bring down shields, but much more power when damaging hardened hull, but not so much on regular. They aren't that accurate on small, speedy targets, but more accurate on large, slow targets. They do have a recharge rate after it's dedicated energy is drained.

ION CANNONS

These cannot damage hull at all, but can bring shields down incredibly in a single blast. Just like the turbo laser, their accuracy lacked on small targets and have a recharge rate. I was imagining something called an "ion blast", which will immediately disable shields, engines, and weapon systems after all power has been released at one time.

PROTON TORPEDOES

The only torpedoes that can breach directly through shields and damage the hull. This weapon is extremely helpful when bombing large ships. Also, this weapon can be effective of fighters that bombard the ship.

CONCUSSION MISSILES

These missiles can cause great damage, but they aren't like the proton torpedoes which can penetrate through shields. The concussion missiles can aim at one target or multiple targets within a range. Once in that range, the explosion will be mostly effective on everything within the range.

POINT-LASER DEFENSE

This weapon system is a short-range target weapon that disable incoming torpedoes and missiles only without any damage being dispersed. This causes no damage to ships and their systems, only the torpedoes and missiles each launches.

Here's a little table to represent how much each weapon does in one hit. Each category goes up to 100%.

Weapon Damage to Shields Damage to Hull Damage to Hardened Hull

Laser Cannon 50% 50% 25%

Turbo Laser 25% 50% 75%

Ion Cannon 100% 0% 0%

Proton Torpedoes 0% 50% 75%

Concussion Missiles 75% 50% 50%

More to come!

Reaction score
    It brings back warm memories of Empire at War.

Unfortunately, this setup either gives Laser cannons being overpowered, or underpowered. This would only be feasible if you have something like Laser cannons being underpowered, but a lot more expensive to have ships with the Turbo+Ion setup.

Reaction score
    Add in machineguns, rotary cannons, beam cannons, torpedo tubes, drone launchers, chaff, flares, rainguns, coilguns, VLS missiles, antimatter bombs, and more ;D

Reaction score
    On the added proton torpedos. No, anything that penetrates shields is overpowered. The game is designed so shields is your only protection. Maybe it can only penetrate shields if the shield level is a few thousand or less?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You\'ll see when it comes. Then, we could allow proton torpedoes to penetrate through shields.

Reaction score
    I have to assume that the game will be balanced to make thick hulls equally viable to shields as protection. In that case weapons that can partially bypass shields sounds like a good idea.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    such star wars

Much lasers

So shields

~the ion cannon is too overpowered, add something about hulls getting better.

Reaction score
    what about this http://star-made.org/node/15057 or you could mod them into the game

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Everything but point defense is fine... Point defense systems work great in real life, but in Starmade they just make torps/missiles useless. Unless they only worked on really slow torpedoes, kind of like Star Trek Online point defense systems only working on targetable high-yield, high-signature torpedoes. For that to work they\'d need a high chance of missing, though.

Reaction score
    i would like to see a laser type weapon that you need a charge up period but does a large area of effect to hull

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That is known as the turbo laser as I listed. A heavy gun, but less accurate and needs more recharge.