Nvidia shadowplay and G-sync not working

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Title says it all, I can't get shadowplay or G-sync (adaptive refresh sync) to work in the game. From what I can tell, Nvidia's software isn't detecting that the game is running (for some reason). The reason I'm saying this is because I can get Shadowplay to work if I set it to desktop capture. Both Shadowplay and G-sync work fine in other games, so you can rule that out as the issue. That pretty much narrows it down to the software being unable to detect that the game is running, or not recognizing it (it works with literally everything else).

I don't know if the problem is on Nvidia's side or Starmade's, but I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get to solve it. G-sync makes everything much more fluid, so it's infinitely more pleasant to have it working. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm using the steam client, shouldn't make a difference, but I'll try the standalone one. I'm also pretty certain that G-sync worked before, I just don't know at what point in time it stopped working.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I have a feeling it's an nvidia thing. I don't get the ShadowPlay FPS counter in MC or SM.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    good point, not sure

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    That's my video and yeah I used the Desktop mode since that seems to be the only way to get it to record games like Starmade.
    Both my fps counter and the record thingies show ingame in starmade, as well as MSI afterburner which I have running.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That's my video and yeah I used the Desktop mode since that seems to be the only way to get it to record games like Starmade.
    Both my fps counter and the record thingies show ingame in starmade, as well as MSI afterburner which I have running.
    Does it show you fps for the game though? Or for the desktop?

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Does it show you fps for the game though? Or for the desktop?
    the game, it fits with the ingame counter.
    It can usually tell the difference between game and desktop, only problem with using the desktop mode is that it also records everything you have in the background, as music, skype, discord.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    the game, it fits with the ingame counter.
    It can usually tell the difference between game and desktop, only problem with using the desktop mode is that it also records everything you have in the background, as music, skype, discord.
    Alright, I check to see if the counter is working on mine too (I doubt it).

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Alright, I check to see if the counter is working on mine too (I doubt it).
    Bah it's my afterburner FPS counter I can see not the Shadowplay one

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Alright, I did some digging based on what duke said and I think that the game just isn't supported by the GPU drivers:
    PG278Q ROG Swift OpenGL and Gsync...

G-sync is supposed to work with all game (with some exceptions). I guess Starmade is one of them... Altough I still find it weird that the Nvidia software doesn't even detect the game...

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Nauvran The Shadowplay FPS indicator doesn't show up for me. It's like the software still thinks that I'm on the desktop...

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Nauvran The Shadowplay FPS indicator doesn't show up for me. It's like the software still thinks that I'm on the desktop...
    mhm shadowplay is most likely not seeing Starmade as a game.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    try running java off your GPU instead of CPU?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    There's some obscure area of the nvidia settings that lets you force-execute java.exe on your GPU. I read a thread about it some obscure time ago on these forums. Some dude used it to get his FPS bottleneck fixed. It might help you in forcing detection. SOrry, I'd love to offer you a step-by-step, but I'm only one NPC in this quest chain.

From NVIDIA Control Panel -> 'Manage 3D Settings' -> 'Program Settings', 'Add' ? unsure which driver chain you're using, so this is just a "try here"

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    There's some obscure area of the nvidia settings that lets you force-execute java.exe on your GPU. I read a thread about it some obscure time ago on these forums. Some dude used it to get his FPS bottleneck fixed. It might help you in forcing detection. SOrry, I'd love to offer you a step-by-step, but I'm only one NPC in this quest chain.

From NVIDIA Control Panel -> 'Manage 3D Settings' -> 'Program Settings', 'Add' ? unsure which driver chain you're using, so this is just a "try here"
    I think that you have things confused. The person you're talking about was probably using a laptop with integrated graphics and a stand alone GPU. Sometimes it'll use the integrated graphics for heavier tasks (like games), so you have to force the program to use the more powerful GPU.

You can't have java run on the GPU instead of the CPU unless the program is intentionally made for that, the architecture and coding required are completely different.

Last edited: