Npc entering ships

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    They should be at least able to enter other ships and then be commanded to follow you or scout the perimeter. This would make them much more useful other than to wander around ships aimlessly. Or instead add the ability to control the bobbies from your ship similarly to npcs.

Reaction score
    I find that AI\'s should be able to properly fly ships already. It would be cool if one player could command a whole fleet of AI ships while the player sits in the flagship of the fleet and uses some kind of \"admiral block\" or something like that to basically get a free camera around his ship while he can give orders to the AI ships like \"fly there, attack that, repair this dude over there, blow this planet to shit\" stuff like that. =D

Reaction score
    Now this is an idea I would love to have in game. Being able to make large scale battles in single player would be awesome.

Reaction score
    Maybe make that tactical block go into some kind of sins of a solar empire camera control where you can basicly control your ships like in a RTS

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You never cease to amaze me with your absolutely brilliant ideas. Just imagine the potential...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    well I do agrtee thaty this would be good, but here is a few problems that need to be adressed. first of all, gravity dosnt seem to work the same way for NPC,s as it does with players.

I have had one in a ship with me, and tried to move my ship, they glitched out the same way players did before the recent gravity changes. they would be thrown around and sometimes even glitch out through walls and be left floating in space like an idiot trying to catch up with me. that needs fixing before they ever become anything more than a burden.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    Though, NPC\'s have JUST entered the game. This game went from no NPC\'s to having NPC\'s, and that\'s a huge jump. I wouldn\'t expect them to be able to do much right away, just getting them to do pathfinding at all is an issue by itself. I would expect more of this in the future. Right now, I\'m just glad they\'re starting to put them in game, even though they can\'t do much right now. This game is still alpha and has a long way to go, I expect NPCs will be more useful and interesting in the future.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    just getting them to do pathfinding at all is an issue by itself

I agree if you have terrain.

But this is -s-p-a-r-t-a- space.

You basically only have to fly around the border of a collision box if it gets into your way.

Calculate a Docking/Salvage or a \"pre-collision detector beam\" is the same. If you can get the inbetween of 4 beams (x-angle split + y-angle split), even better.

For pathfinding in ships or planets, it is easier if you have a line from your point to the (next) destination, and smooth the path around collision objects - in both possible directions and take/calculate-on the shortest.

Voxels make it even easier to calculate, just Zero-G make it harder (does it fit through 1x2 hallways?), but that should be fixed with \"crawling\" ability.