(NOOB) How to update Starmade server?

Reaction score
    OMG and LOL. We've been happily playing for two months on our server, which was the version one-before-the-latest. Now as the client upgraded, so did the server - and I have absolutely no idea how to update the server to the latest as well. Google and this forum doesn't seem to be very helpful, either. Maybe this is something only a secretive society knows?

I'd be extremely happy if someone would tell me how to update our server so that we can continue playing.

Reaction score
    Depends on how your server works. All I know is that with our server the person we rent the box from has to drop the update into a folder so we can force the update server side with our server toolset. Otherwise, no clue.

Reaction score
    Our server sits on a rented Windows server and is started purely using a cmd prompt and the provided batch file. No GUIs in use whatsoever.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    are you using a host?

Reaction score
    if you have command line access this is the offical guide : http://star-made.org/help/setting_up_a_server
    a) the guide is for Linux, we use Windows
    b) it does not say anything about updating the server

Come on guys, someone must know out-of-the-box how to do this!
    [DOUBLEPOST=1425970639,1425969778][/DOUBLEPOST]Ah, it was in the end easier than I thought. I just ran the Starmade launcher on our rented machine's game installation directory and chose the "Update" option. This for anyone out there not knowing how to do this.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    a) the guide is for Linux, we use Windows
    b) it does not say anything about updating the server

Come on guys, someone must know out-of-the-box how to do this!
    [DOUBLEPOST=1425970639,1425969778][/DOUBLEPOST]Ah, it was in the end easier than I thought. I just ran the Starmade launcher on our rented machine's game installation directory and chose the "Update" option. This for anyone out there not knowing how to do this.
    I know a number of ways of doing it.

1. are you using a hosting service like PingPerfect? these typically have a updater built into the control panel
    2. are you using a steam installation of the game? steam updates the game automatically, just restart once it has done so
    3. are you using the starmade-starter.exe? it has a big update button
    if you need to do it manually, and have full access (hosts will not let you do this):
    1. download this http://files.star-made.org/build/starmade-build_20150306_165940.zip
    2. extract it over your starmade folder
    3. run server

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    glad you got it sorted :)
    Although the guide is for Linux. Step 1 is also the way to update a sever if it's already installed and does work on windows,

but you must have the starmade-starter.jar(linux version)
    in the directory above your server install same as it is on your own pc
    (i just tryed this on my own windows pc from the command line, to update a v0.151 install to the latest version)

Reaction score
    The steps should be the same whether you're using Linux or Windows. Simply stop your server and run the Starmade-Starter.jar with the java command:
    Code:
    java -jar Starmade-Starter.jar
    As always, make a backup first!