No one has suggested flashlights?

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I was just playing StarMade and bitching to myself about how it was impossible to see inside my ship and space station without spamming light blocks everywhere (lighting is still broken as fuck; i heard there were going to be some updates on that IIRC).

So I asked myself, "Huh, I wonder if there are any threads on the forum about personal flashlights."

MUCH to my surprise, I found no such thread. At least, searching "flashlight" in the suggestions board doesn't bring anything up.

So this is that thread. We need flashlights so we don't have to spam light blocks everywhere.

Now I'm almost certain that there will be lighting fixes in the future because the current system is buggy as hell as I've previously mentioned, so along with those lighting fixes, it would be great to see a personal lighting source.

Reaction score
    Excellent idea, I do actually remember one or two suggestions about this over on the old site. The only problem might be performance hits, but I don't see how optimizations couldn't fix that.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I personally think that the only way flashlights would be useful is that if they were be able to be active and allow you to salvage at the same time (right click to salvage while you still have light).

Reaction score
    I'm liking this idea Mrs/Mr kinetic, flashlights that you can hold will make exploring dark 'n' dingy planets more suspenseful and fun, especially when we (eventually) get mobs in. As long as they aren't like they are in BF3 (or were) then I think this would be quite well received. Liked.

Trouble is dynamic lighting is a bitch to work in performance and coding wise so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Reaction score
    I approve of flashlights. Because finding a darn plex door in the middle of a sea of hardened black hull is a PAIN.

Could be nice to even add it as a ship block. Not just a static light like we already have, more like, say, a huge flashlight you put on the front of your ship. A bit like the ones in a few Starcraft cinematics (the battlecruisers). Check this video at 1:55 to see what I mean :3

It would be useful for both roleplay purpose, and also salvaging, as mentioned by TSupra, I can already imagine a very small bot (5x5x5) with its light in a huge abandoned station, looking for stuff to salvage =)

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I know flashlights were suggested a lot but now we have lighten mode or whatever it is called so that we can see while building in dark places. I do thing a flashlight on the player helmet would be a cool feature for exploring as toyotasupra mentioned

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm thinking of an adventure in an abandoned space station. It's dark, and something's after me... I absolutely need that flashlight to get back to my ship in time!

Reaction score
    I was just wondering if any kind of helmet light or anything is planned yet. All three of my sons have been playing starmade a lot recently and their biggest complaint is that they cant see while digging around on planets. They like to be dropped on a planet and craft their way back into space from nothing but mining tools.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was just wondering if any kind of helmet light or anything is planned yet. All three of my sons have been playing starmade a lot recently and their biggest complaint is that they cant see while digging around on planets. They like to be dropped on a planet and craft their way back into space from nothing but mining tools.
    The lighting should be considered a bug. Minecraft isn't dark at all (except at night of course) but starmade just always generally seems dark. I'm sure the devs are already working on this, or at least are planning to work on this.

Tip for your sons: they can use crystal capsules to light up the area where they are mining. It is the cheapest light source in the game, as you still keep the capsules (which are needed to craft all sorts of other things).