Recognized No more station only blocks

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Disclaimer, this is not a "I wunt factorys on muh ship"

Some blocks can only be placed on stations to provide functionality to stations. This is the wrong way to go about this in my opinion.

Alot of the blocks, like warpgates, look awesome decoratively. But we can't use them on ships. This is a waste of kupu's awesome textures. Rather than limiting where we place blocks, just have a prompt appear saying this block does not function on ships.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius

Some blocks can only be placed on stations to provide functionality to stations. This is the wrong way to go about this in my opinion.

Alot of the blocks, like warpgates, look awesome decoratively. But we can't use them on ships. This is a waste of kupu's awesome textures. Rather than limiting where we place blocks, just have a prompt appear saying this block does not function on ships.
    YES! agreed! Especially the shipyard modules!! they look gorgeous. NEED
    :D

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Shipyards, sure. But warpgates? Maybe not so much. It diminishes their role as a station. It devalues the role of installed infrastructure as well. We would be okay with these changes if there was a balancing factor, but we either don't have the answer, or the answer isn't in the game just yet. We are also turning our focus away from building and towards the universe / faction side of things for a while.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Shipyards, sure. But warpgates? Maybe not so much. It diminishes their role as a station. It devalues the role of installed infrastructure as well. We would be okay with these changes if there was a balancing factor, but we either don't have the answer, or the answer isn't in the game just yet. We are also turning our focus away from building and towards the universe / faction side of things for a while.
    *bangs head on desk so hard he has brain damage*

You actually read the title and wrote the reply based on that without even reading the first fucking line

Reactions: Lecic

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    *bangs head on desk so hard he has brain damage*

You actually read the title and wrote the reply based on that without even reading the first fucking line
    I mentioned warpgates, because you had it in the OP. Which implies I did read past the first line. Everything I said still stands. It's not ready for the game yet.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    a[soh\sd]gafg

this is not about making warp gates or shipyards or factories or any of these station only systems work on ships. This is just about being able to use the pretty blocks on ships. I'm all for station only systems, I love stations.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    a[soh\sd]gafg

this is not about making warp gates or shipyards or factories or any of these station only systems work on ships. This is just about being able to use the pretty blocks on ships. I'm all for station only systems, I love stations.
    Yes. We have this with scanners. However scanners were intended to work on stations as I heard it when they were first introduced yet they do not. Blocks and their mechanics may have been specifically designed to work or operate a certain way and would break if placed on other entities. That's what I conclude at least and hopefully explains why they don't work as just a decoration on various entities. Would it be nice? Sure, but it might require more work than you think, as do most things when it comes to making this game.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Blocks and their mechanics may have been specifically designed to work or operate a certain way and would break if placed on other entities.
    This is a 100% irrelevant statement because I don't want them to work that way!

If you're concerned that merely allowing the block to be placed as a none functional version would break the versions that do work on other structure types, then why is that not what you said in the first post rather than talking about the balance which has fuck all to do with this?!

And in regards to that feasible issue, it's unlikely. The game already checks what the entity type is when ever you try placing these blocks, it's not such a leap to have this check run anytime you try to access their UI/link them to something/do literally anything with them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Criss, the code currently is able to recognize that you are trying to put these various blocks on a ship... I'd imagine all you would have to do is make then "non-functional" when they are placed instead of just disallowing them to be placed. I find your last comment passive aggressive and completely non constructive in regards to a reasonable and honestly pretty good suggestion. SO WHAT? A game takes time to develop and polish, that's how life works man...

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah there is a break down in communication here Criss, I think the problem here is the title isn't clear. "Allow Station Only Blocks As Decoration" or something along those lines might have been better.

The premise of the suggestion is simple. If a block is station only in function these blocks should be allowed to be used on ships but only as decoration. They will loose all functionality.

On another note it may make things easier for future releases. If they are allowed on ships now but are not functional we may still be able to build ships that one day may gain functionality. You can build a factory ship that may one day actually work...

Reactions: JimmyJamba