Night washed out instead of dark

Reaction score
    When the sun goes down on the planet, or when I'm on the dark side of an asteroid, or even in the poorly lit parts of my station, all of the textures become washed out. At first things darken normally, but after reaching about half darkness things suddenly start diminishing toward light gray instead of toward black.

Here's an image showing this effect, taken at night on a terran world:

On the right you can see the lighting I have installed generating proper light underneath, and if you follow along to the left, it gets darker at first but then as it gets far enough from the light sources it seems to get lighter and loses contrast instead.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That's...really strange. I can't do much directly, but I know the people that can help you will ask for your Hardware specs, and the settings you're running. If you could give both of those or either, it'd speed up the process of helping you.

Reaction score
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with an Intel Xeon W3520 quad core processor. My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 970 with 4GB video memory.

Fullscreen, Bloom effect is off, block light quality is 48, simple lighting is off, view distance 750, vert-sync off.

I noticed just now when I turned on simple lighting, it fixed the shadows, and when I turned it off again they stayed fixed. I strongly suspect the problem has not gone away, however, as I do recall having great shadows when I started playing, and they gradually got more and more washed out as I played longer. This continued happening even as I exited the game, or even restarted my computer. It's like the more hours I logged, the more washed out it got. Now it's reset and it's gonna start doing it again, in fact I can already see it happening with one game restart.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441777260,1441776865][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually it's back already. When I flew down to the light side of the planet, it was again washed out as much as before, and this time I had gone down with simple lighting on. It seems that whether simple lighting is on or off makes no discernible difference at all, I can't even tell the difference toggling between it on or off, but making the toggle temporarily resets whatever is washing out the shadows.

Reaction score
    Yes, I had to update Java to 64 bit in order to make Starmade work, and I just installed the card fresh with the most up to date drivers straight from NVidia.