Newbee question: How to hit with weapons on greater distance?

Reaction score
    I built a bunch of turrets on my ship, and I have some problems to use them manually.

Example: A Beam weapon (Support Beam) with a range of over 11.000 meters.

Problem 1

If a target is not really big, I can not see it any more, if it is only a few hundred meters away.

I can select it with “F”, but I cannot see it. So I can only take blind shots in the dark. and that on a distance under 1000 meters and a weapon range of 11.000 meters!?

Problem 2

So I made a test-target, which is big enough to see it on 1000 meters without any problems. I can see it and target it with my weapon, but the little white ring in the middle of the HUD don’t gets green, even if i target right in the middle. I can fire, the beam reaches out, but no damage is done. No weapon effect on 1000 meters with a range of 11.000 meters? What the f…

And another question: Is the same turret under control of a bobby AI able to hit and do damage on the full listed weapons range?

I saw some videos of battles on youtube, so it seems to be possible to fight with this weapons over high distance, but how do they do that under this conditions?

Did I get or did I do something wrong?

Or are weapons in fact useless on distances I could not throw a stone instead?

Reaction score
    That is exactly what i do...
    " I built a bunch of turrets on my ship, and I have some problems to use them manually."

it playes no role if fixed or turret weapon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Dont use them manually. Change your SP settings so bobbyAI is accurate from a long distance and let the AI do the shooting.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    i wonder how you made a beam turret go 11k meters... it normally end at 1k. and on that distance you could pretty much hit everything trying enough...
    everyone faces the same issuesso no worries there are no tricks involved let just turrets do their job and you operate the main hitting guns.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Bigger sector sizes (weapon ranges scale up with them) and beam support (x3 range on 100%) that's how.

Indeed, hitting long-range is extremely difficult especially the target is moving and small. that's why you use turrets. If you want a long-range weapon that has a high probability of hitting your target, I'd suggest using missile/beam setups, and keeping the beams for shorter range.

P.S. beam hits are unreliable. I was tracking a moving target with my beam/cannon setup, and I literally saw the beams disappearing in the target, but there were no hit markers or any effect whatsoever...

Reaction score
    Matt_Bradock is right, a sector has 10 km on this Server, and it is a Beam/Beam Combo :)

Ok, firing manually is not the way to do the Job...
    But i have at least 2 big fixed weapons with great range implemented in my ship. Can i use a Bobby AI on them too?
    Or do i have to build these weapons as own entitys with core, bobby AI, factionmodule and so on and dock them without turning abilities to the ship?
    Can i use them then, maybe in the way -> Set the AI of the fixed Weapons on "selected Target" and mark the enemy with "F" from the Cockpit view?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    only if the fixed weapons are on their own entity that is docked to the ship will you be able to use an AI with them but yes it'll work.