New (Windows) Launcher Fails to Launch

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    So after Crusade excitedly told me the new update was out, I went to update my StarMade. Seeing I needed the new launcher, I deleted my old launcher, then downloaded the Windows version from StarMade. Upon trying to start the program it immediately gave me this error:
    upload_2014-9-9_17-18-41.png
    The launcher was in the exact same place as my previous ones, the only thing I had done was remove them. Upon downloading the Mac version of the launcher, I placed it in the exact same location and it ran perfectly. Then just to test it, I ran the Windows launcher which had just given me the above error. Lo and behold, it runs perfectly. However if I remove the Mac launcher from the same place as the Windows one, it continues to give this error. It's very strange, but I at least got it to run...

Nxy

Reaction score
    im having something simular happen, except the game won't start at all(i get to the loading screen and when it reaches 100%). once it crashes i get these kinds of error messages.

Error1.jpg

i get this when it crashes, which i don't know why its crashing, its run perfictly untill this last release

Error2.jpg

i get this one when i restart the game, even though its not running, restarted my computer just to make sure.

i did what he had done and re-downloaded the launcher, however i didn't do the Mac step as our issues are different.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Saber,when you launch the new launcher ..go to options and instalation settings..then type in your path to starmade folder,and in build branch chose "release"
    that should be it :)

and for you Nxy,delete your settings.cfg in your starmade folder,then restart the game,it will reset all your settings,and you can again raise settings up,but dont touch drawn segments and lighting quality/ray tracing,that is what is causing crashes
    schema helped with this one a lot

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm having this issue too. Attempts to run the new launcher do nothing at all. It doesn't even try to run in WinXP 32bit? Old launcher still works, but tells you to get the new launcher.

If I set it to run in win98 compatability mode, it will start with the error of the OP. How do you edit the setting suggested when the program exits?

EDIT: Java uninstall/reinstalled solved this for me. But has presented another problem in WinXP 32bit with 32bit Java. The game refuses to use fullscreen mode no matter what settings are used. This has a serious impact on performance (1fps) making it unplayable. This issue was not a problem before the update of both Starmade and uninstall/reinstall of Java 32bit (Used to get 40 to 60fps unless I went near something huge) .

Also, when closing the game (or it crashes), the javaw.exe will not close and needs to be forced closed with windows task manager to get the game to run again.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    and for you Nxy,delete your settings.cfg in your starmade folder,then restart the game,it will reset all your settings,and you can again raise settings up,but dont touch drawn segments and lighting quality/ray tracing,that is what is causing crashes
    schema helped with this one a lot
    thanks from me as well, after i updated my drivers and everything else i could think of i was about ready to give up on this game, but now i can play again. :)

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Uninstall and Reinstall of Java fixed this for me on Windows 7 x64 and Vista x64 - Windows 8 x64 did not present the issue.

Reaction score
    How can I get the game to run in 64 bit? I'm capped at 4gb ram and background programs use 3 of those for me.

Nxy

Reaction score
    How can I get the game to run in 64 bit? I'm capped at 4gb ram and background programs use 3 of those for me.
    i read somewhere that if you can download java 64 bit for you system, then you can use the 64bit java.
    however i looked into it and found it to be a pain to do. as you need a 64 bit version of your browser.
    if anyone finds a way to do it simply, plz let me know, as i to have a 64 bit system and want to use it as well.

Note, i don't use internet explorer, i use Seamonkey. i hate IE...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Running in 64bit is only possible if you have a 64bit operating system.
    If you do, you should install the 64bit version of the Java SE runtime.
    Hope this helps.

Greets,

Jan

Nxy

Reaction score
    Running in 64bit is only possible if you have a 64bit operating system.
    If you do, you should install the 64bit version of the Java SE runtime.
    Hope this helps.

Greets,

Jan
    its not that easy, as Java says you have to have a 64 bit browser to get the 64 bit Java.
    oh snap, i just checked out that link(i should have done that first) this should do the trick.
    thank you jan for the link

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you're running windows 7 64bit you should already have Internet Explorer 64bits.
    At least it was on the system here when windows 7 was installed, I never put it there myself. :)

Greets,

Jan

Nxy

Reaction score
    na, i have windows 8.1, biggest mistake ever.
    but i got java 64 bit just fine
    thank you again
    :)