New ui

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    @kupu I saw your hud that you made before you worked for Schine. But now that you do how come it isn't the default hud? It looks so much more professional than the current one.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is something I have been wanting to see for a long time. A complete change of the UI and HUD. Most important things that need to be changed;
    • The inventory screens. They need to be bigger. A lot bigger. I would like to see everything in my factory/storage and inventory at the same time.
    • The way it looks in general. The new default texture pack is a lot more streamlined than the UI.
    • The overlay when flying. The white curves at the side and the round circle in the middle get boring quite soon.
    Not a lot, but I would like to see some magic happen in those areas ;)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Myself and Bench have begun looking into it. This won't simply be a skin for the existing interface, we are planning a completely new UI.

As such it has no ETA. Hopefully we can give more info / samples soon.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Soon™

<snickers because I have seen the alpha version>

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You could just say
    In rather unpredictable perioid of time that depends on amount of molecules in universe.

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Bench's current UI looks pretty cool. Or hud should I say. Good UI makes those inventories and stuff actually fun to check out. EVE upgraded the UI for it's industry panels last month and suddenly I want to use them because it looks so much better.

Pic related:
    http://eveblog.allumis.co.uk/media/newinvent.jpg

Reactions: Bench
    Reaction score
    Bench's current UI looks pretty cool. Or hud should I say. Good UI makes those inventories and stuff actually fun to check out. EVE upgraded the UI for it's industry panels last month and suddenly I want to use them because it looks so much better.

Pic related:
    http://eveblog.allumis.co.uk/media/newinvent.jpg
    I especially like the thin white borders of the UI in EVE. In that picture, especially the "outcome" window and the little blue-white bits surrounding the blueprint in the middle of the screen.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, EVE's UI style in general is nice. IDK if it would work for this game, though. IMO, the best suggestion anyone came up with for this game is a UI with customizable (and re-style-able) modules, which would let people kind of do what they want with their interface. For the flight HUD, it would actually be even cooler if players could create unique interface setups for their ships using various "modules." For instance a fighter might have a jet fighter-like HUD with only four semi-transparent hotbar slots so as not to obstruct the view of outside, but a large radar window in the corner and a prominent artificial horizon element. By contrast, a large cruiser might have a full compliment of 10 hotbar slots, fully opaque so as to make it less easy to confuse the modules, a nearly-transparent radar window taking up only a small part of the screen since radar isn't required to track typical cruiser targets, and only a faint artificial horizon. Also, a "Custom Text" module would be available, for labeling weapons and UI elements, and any and all variables available for display blocks (such as the current [power], [powerCap], etc.) would be available for use in these text modules as well. These configurations could be linked to blueprints, even for AI faction ships, adding to immersion if someone purposely created a really strange interface for alien or pirate ships.

Likewise, it would be nice to be able to choose from different colors and a few different styles for things like the inventory and nav screen, and be able to scale them and re-order the tabs as I wish. Of course, if I wanted to use a custom texture set, I still could, but more integrated options are always good. That way, for instance, configurations could be saved and used as official faction HUDs without game file modification being necessary.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I like how you said the EVE UI wouldn't be suitable for starmade, yet literally all of those elements are a part of eve's UI. I was using as an example btw. Their UI is suited to a game that requires a lot of information to be displayed on screen. Obviously we do not need that.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I like how you said the EVE UI wouldn't be suitable for starmade, yet literally all of those elements are a part of eve's UI. I was using as an example btw. Their UI is suited to a game that requires a lot of information to be displayed on screen. Obviously we do not need that.
    I meant their UI STYLE. While it looks technical, futuristic, and neat, it's too compact, too "formal" (All squares and circles, thin borders, not much color) and, as you said, is designed for a lot of information.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I meant their UI STYLE. While it looks technical, futuristic, and neat, it's too compact, too "formal" (All squares and circles, thin borders, not much color) and, as you said, is designed for a lot of information.
    The thing is, Starmade's current ui features colors only for the targetable entities on your screen. Otherwise there is no reason to include color. I don't see the need to include a variety of colors that just adds movement where there doesn't need to be any. I've been using benchs hud. It changes the feel of those UI's a ton. In the end I'm hoping that all those ui's will be customizable with hud packs that a few people have already started making. The UI just needs to be reformatted first.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Vanhelzing or criss whatever, you could literally make a ui for starmade based off of eve and it would look good. I really like the minimalistic white lines it uses. It is something Starmade could use.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I am surprised nobody linked the HUD from kupu (too lazy to search for it, but since you found it, why not link it @aceface ?
    Because it's about 1 year out of date! :D Let the old dog lie. He's had his summer years.

Small (note; very small) clarity / quality of life changes are being made to the flight mode HUD. They are not indicative of the new GUI and simply use new sprites for the old system. It's just a small change to help players a little until the new HUD arrives.

Reactions: aceface