New Turret Design Idea

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Build your turret inside an open radius and the rear coming up at 45 degrees from the core st the rear. This will stop most clipping issues, though limiting.

We really need a new turret system xD

Reaction score
    I +1 this idea.

After all, turrets dont bloody clip into stuff on any other vehicle, and ingame, the current system looks stupid.

Reaction score
    I wouldnt say allow linking arrays across docking points because then somone could make their ship have tons of AMCs then link it to a tiny turret giving it batshit crazy damage. I was saying only allow linking arrays between the barrel and the turret body via the proposed new docking model.

Reaction score
    Made a mockup of how it might work.

Any blocks connected to the pivot point block would follow when the turret aims.

While it\'s true this gives you one block less and might cause you to need to give some leeway for the moving parts this doesn\'t really matter. They have clearly stated that they won\'t start any major balancing of weapons and things until the game is feature complete. The lack of those extra few blocks will be balanced out with numbers if it even becomes an issue.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You mean that the barrel would still be part of the turret, just connected to the \"hinge\" block? (Double selection? Is that allowed?)

If that was the case, you would only lose blocks to the hinge, not the blocks needed to prevent intersection, since the blocks are part of the same ship and making the physics engine check the barrel with the turret body would probably require more poking around in the engine than it\'s worth. Making sure the barrel doesn\'t intersect the ship is something that should be checked by the engine through.

Note on checking the barrel physics: we probably could just check the bounding box of the barrel to determine if it can rotate or not - And I also think this should be done with the turret body as well- it can\'t rotate through a wall.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just check if you could build at this barrel-spot if it were at a zero angle.

* Rotation upwards could always be possible (clipping is not that ugly here.)

* Alternatively, check if the position of last-z and bottom-y blocks of the barrel intersect with a block of the turret body.

Just check it once after it got modified (only for adding blocks, not death blocks) after leaving build mode. You get a lower and upper value which remain the same during a battle.

Reaction score
    I was going to post the same idea. Although no-where near as good as ÄlveKatt. :D