New turret AI setting: "Fire at astronauts"

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Title says it all. This would be great for specialized miniturrets.

Reaction score
    While a Fire At Astronaut setting would be good in some instances, someone could easily put one of those at spawn and kill all the newbies.
    Tho something like a Fire At Asteroids would be more useful(especially if they make it so asteroids can damage things)

D

Deleted member 433088

While a Fire At Astronaut setting would be good in some instances, someone could easily put one of those at spawn and kill all the newbies.
    Tho something like a Fire At Asteroids would be more useful(especially if they make it so asteroids can damage things)
    Agreed at both things, also the second would potentially make it so we can have harvester turrets. However, to prevent spawn-killing, the server administrator can set the spawn sector and adjacent ones as Protected, using the /sector_chmod command.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    We need a lot of new settings for turrets, and the ability to select multiples.
    • Any
    • Missiles
    • Selected Target (Any)
    • Selected Target (Hostile)
    • Astronauts
    • Harvest
    • Repair
    • Support
    If you select "Any" as well as "Selected Target" the turrets will auto fire when no valid target is selected but if they have a valid selected target they will prioritize and fire on that target.

I also would love to have some of my anti-fighter turrets pull double duty as missile defense.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Because of all the potential settings, the game is simply going to need AI programming. Better start brushing up on LUA syntax.... There. I'm done.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I feel like this will have many more illegitimate uses than legitimate ones... No thanks for now; call me back when we have boarding mechanics.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Might be interesting, interior turrets would be nice to have, without having to worry about them getting distracted by ships over yonder (Maybe a settable max range for that AI?)

Also, couldn't you just use Target selected and select asteroids? I don't really see why that itself needs it's own special setting. (Support and Repair could also be summed up as "Target: Allied", when AI ever learns to use said weapons).

D

Deleted member 433088

I feel like this will have many more illegitimate uses than legitimate ones... No thanks for now; call me back when we have boarding mechanics.
    Woah woah wait... is that an actual planned thing? It would be kinda hard for ships that have next to zero free space inside, though.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Woah woah wait... is that an actual planned thing? It would be kinda hard for ships that have next to zero free space inside, though.
    I can't see boarding being a fully fledged default feature (since not everyone does interiors, and we can't force them), but I'm sure I hear Cal brainstorming about it at least once before. Gotta consider all the all possible exploiting and whatnot. After the HP system though we might be able to get something (or maybe a small handgun that only works on plex?).

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I wasn't saying it was planned, I was just saying that I don't really want it until we have a legitimate reason to have automated antipersonnel weaponry. Otherwise it'd more be a trolling tool than anything else since players die so easily.

D

Deleted member 433088

I wasn't saying it was planned, I was just saying that I don't really want it until we have a legitimate reason to have automated antipersonnel weaponry. Otherwise it'd more be a trolling tool than anything else since players die so easily.
    I hear it's possible to have your ships stolen from within your hangars by a double agent. Making use of faction restriction blocks (coming feature) and the "kick on friendly fire" option, you could create secure hangars where someone trying to brute-force their way in would be kicked, declared enemy, and summarily shot by inside turrets. Same for wherever you keep your faction block in your station or large ship.

Reactions: Thalanor and Lecic

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    We need a lot of new settings for turrets, and the ability to select multiples.
    • Any
    • Missiles
    • Selected Target (Any)
    • Selected Target (Hostile)
    • Astronauts
    • Harvest
    • Repair
    • Support
    If you select "Any" as well as "Selected Target" the turrets will auto fire when no valid target is selected but if they have a valid selected target they will prioritize and fire on that target.

I also would love to have some of my anti-fighter turrets pull double duty as missile defense.
    Take my likes, all of them. Having multiple settings on turrets at the same time would be a godsend. Being able to set a priority level on setting would also be amazing. For example, setting priority 1 on "anti-missile" and 2 on "any" would make it so that whenever there's no missiles up in the air the turrets will fire at ships. And instantly disengage and fire at missiles when those are fired.

And that "fire at selected (hostile)" setting. I can't tell how many times I've selected someone to check distance or whatever and my turrets started shooting them, getting auto-war to be declared and generally getting people (myself included) killed. I just stopped using "fire at selected" for this very reason.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Because of all the potential settings, the game is simply going to need AI programming. Better start brushing up on LUA syntax.... There. I'm done.
    How to use LUA in 2 easy steps:
    1. Write what you want to happen
    2. It happens