New Size Limit on Ship Turning makes big ships unplayable

Reaction score
    In the current state, turrets aim right on the core every time, so the most effective way to use a big ship (or almost any ship) is to have turrets, especially big ones that generate their own power. If I run into 5 pirate ships, my turrets can kill them all much faster than I can, due to their accuracy

Reaction score
    There is a server.cfg option to scale the turning speed based on dimensions.

0.9 or 0.8 are pretty good values.

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It\'s still being worked on, and probably will be tweaked by schema in the future.

But if you need a quick fix, what McDili said is correct.

Reaction score
    they will never make up for large ships slow turning speed simply because of there range

Reaction score
    Agree. And because of this, i hope it doesn\'t go away. Perhaps some modification can be made to it, but i really hope it\'s here to stay.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ships are very sluggish now but then so they would be. Do you have any idea how much energy it would take to rotate a capital ship in space?

It would be good to see directional thrusters further down the line as means of improving maneouverability but capitals should not handle like cruisers.

Reaction score
    Now the Super Behemoths are a lot harder to maneuver, as It should be, It gives the smaller ligher ships an edge over the bigger ones.

Reaction score
    I actually kind of like it like this because it does make it a little more realistic. if you want to turn better add more thrusters. I know how hard it is because i always try to get my big ships to turn well and it uses a lot of power.I think it balances combat a bit more. it also makes turrets more important. some people wont like that as much but its so capitol ships cant turn as fast as a fighter.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    currently turning is independent of thrusters and i think that is in error. force should be appliable not only in the wasd-q-e keyboard directions but also the rotational directions. it makes no sense for a 2:1 thrust/mass ship to turn as slow as a .5:1 thrust/mass ship of the same mass

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    If thrust would have a part in determining turning rate, you would need to rework them to not be so easily useable with larger available box dimensions. If I wanted to I could sacrafice 10-20 million out of my newest capital\'s 1.5 billion energy storage and turn it from a 4-1 thrust/mass to an 8-1 thrust/mass.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This is not true. The medium turrets on my ships can reach up to 1,500 meters away. They can easily shoot things in the adjacent sectors.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    actually energy of thrust in space is only I bealieve 1 1/3 times that of a planetoid and that is even based upon theory which has not entirely been proven yet.

so all the arguments about how large spacecraft SHOULD turn or move slow is actually incorrect. what has actually been proven to be true, is the opposite is actually true. this comes from scientists observing asteroids in space. the smaller asteroids seem to be far more affected by gravity than some of the massive or suopermassive ones. jupiter has much more pull on the smaller objects headed towards it than it does on the bigger ones, so that is why it gets hit by them more than we on earth do.

so going based upon that logic you guys are acttually tallking about things even educated people arent fully researched on and maybe you need to become sientists and tell us what you think after you actually learn what your talking about.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The problem is when they are not actually the most powerful ships, triple AMC nerf and heavy shield nerf, so hard that it needed a little shield buff now.