New Ship System Mechanics Construction

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    New Ship System Mechanics Construction (Modular System Control Panel)

OK its been forever since a real update has made it worth attempting to play agian and since a few game stopping bugs (like no stores spawn properly and many others that impede actuall depth of play.) have creeped up I'm pretty much twiddling my thumbs for a while. I wont rant on about why they stop me from playing or how anoying they are that what the bug forums are for. but anyway, I had a little thinking time on some of what we have had added to the game already and I have to say that if scema would devote a bit of time to bug fix this game mite even be considered proper beta status. if the above was squashed it mite actually even be playable.

I will try to explain my concept as plainly as I can. But, what I have planned out actrually mostly pertains towards the new systems panel we just had added. as it is the systems panel is just a basic togle system for the items attached to a ship entity. that's all well and good and I mite even go so far as to say its working quite well. But, it has even greater potential. it could be later expanded upon if schema would consider its possability for grreater control of our ships as well as other things in the game.

ok now that Ive already explained what its about, I'll now start by explaining what I plan to have done with it. the systems panel is seemingly the ships controll panel for all items on my ship right? so besides turning things on and off what else is it really good for? well Schema did explain that it was suposed to be used for quick inventory usage from the ships cargo containers. that sounds cool as hell, especially if you really think about its potential. But, what if I could activate other blocks without having to go into a "core" to do so? the systems panel is something that theoretically could do just that. let me elaborate.

Lest just start off and say I wanted to make a door that was only operable one way. currently you cant do this. the doors work by being activated directly on the door or as of now remotly from the systems panel. if I really wanted to prevent anyone from using the door to enter my ship that I didnt want to I can only do this by using a permissions module.and that is also limited because it only locks out anyone not in my faction. I want my ship secure from theft of any kind even from felow faction members.

Its been hotly debated since the faction permissions module was added, that stealing ships should be preventable by simply making your own single person faction, but shortsighted and blind as this debate is, this solution is both possible to still cheat and I have personally saeen it done. I want to claim it as mine!

OK so how would I do this then, make a one way door? well the solution is actually quite simple, this will mean a few new block types, but I think if the idea works at all, it may even change how we build ships. I am optimistic to think the ship blocks need a new system mechanic that will make ships more personal and securel. we need security systems. one way to achieve this is with a new block. I'll explain below

A Control Console Computer Block.

this will need to be made as a new block that will work similar to a faction permissions block, but it will instead bring up the systems panel. what this block would basically do is be similar to the weapons computer but for the ships or objects they are attached to and nothing else. but it only works if you personally interact with it, and maybe if is possible to code in starmades engine (I will admit I am not a programer so I dont even kow if it is.), you would have to put in a code or maybe simply use a key (this would be in the form of a personal item similar to the guns). this would secure the item its attached to, so therefore it would basically be a securty block for your ship. This idea also this adds PVP potential as destrying it would result in the objects unlocking anyway.

This can open even more potential for this spiffy new systems panel. say if I wanted to have other blocks that did other things without having to go all the way to the specific room to use them. well as of right now you can, but only from the core. a control computer would be helpfull for doing this in more locations as well. I could in effect have alturnative control points that I could use to furrther secure my ship from borders and potentially if you consider further PVP potential, they could even give them the ability to board and seize controll of parts of my ship too.

another thing this also mite bring is the concepts of complex systems on ships too. a logic gate system could be employed if you really wanted to take the idea further. say if I used this control computer to control things in a specific pattern. like the one way door idea, here is where that comes into play. I would have to emply another block type as well to achieve this.

Power Cuircuts

Right now all ships consist of a few basic block types. The Power blocks, The Core, and Thrusters. anything else is entirely optional and dependant on what ship you intend to use or build. The concept behind Powqer Cuircuts, is basically a logic gate system, that you would need to connect all of these up with. right now you basically just place everything together and as long as they are psysically connected and a part of the ship it all works. that is just fine if that is all you want to do. but say I want more out of my ship. I want power to flow only in one direction that way if I wanted to keep someone out of said system, all I had to do was cut them off from the Cuircut.This means the Power Cuircut, is basically the starmade equivalent of minecraft redstone.

that is basically what I was thinking up, as I await the new patch. so if you think its worth improving or looking at feel free to give feedback on it. I want to know what you guys think, is it feasable given what iwe already can do. or is it rubbish and I should just shut it, whatever, I just thought the least I could do was share this.

Reaction score
    I love the idea of having locks, in a sense, on ships! The idea of redstone-like circuitry is also an excellent idea that\'s been brought up many times.

What I\'d love to see is a greater range of functions to assign to the hotbar, and perhaps control of specific plexdoor clusters.

One thing, though. You mention that permission modules \"lock out\" other players; actually, they grant access to anyone, so instead of protecting your ships, you\'re actually making them morevulnerable.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    oh ok. well, thats a bit more clear now I thought it was the other way around. well even still that system of faction blocking all ships is also still exploitable (what few realize is that if you destroy the faction module it makes the ship unlocked as well. ive tested this myself, it is possible and a grose exploit of the system.) but as I said its been debated and not wotrth arguing over. we need locks not open acess blocks. at the very least this much is obviously as potentual for gameplay.