New Rating System

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    The system is being monitored, I've already monitored the rating system on other forums for a few months now, and its increased ratings, increased posts, decreased warnings for forum posts, increased forum activity, increased forum interaction time, improved post quality and allows more interaction for lurkers. The main purpose for the system is to increase post quality and user engagement. The system can go either way and modifications will be made to suit this community over time.

I do agree some of the ratings can be merged or taken away completely, I am undecided on whether the negative ratings will work, it is all up to the user base here and we'll never know if we don't try.

Bring in the reports and feedback, i'll be reading them and adapting the system to better fit our capabilities and needs.

Reaction score
    It comes down to the idea that you have to place trust in users to use the negative ratings system correctly, and spend some time trying to moderate it.
    I've used plenty of forums using this system before where there was a massive abuse of the negative ratings system, where if someone didn't like another person they would simply give a negative rating on every single damn post they made.
    Now, it's fine for people to have different opinions than mine, but I do not like this system at all. My reputation should not be damaged by people who a) do not like me as a person, and b) simply have a different opinion to me.
    So please, think twice before pushing a negative button. It's not fair to punish others simply because you have a different view. And I use Xenforo too, and if I were forced to use it, I would remove all negative ratings. If you disagree with me, feel free to tell me why. Simply pushing a button is just lazy.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2

is this really needed? He literally flamed every post in the thread, for no reason what so ever
    LOL
    actually no, im pretty sure its meant a good thing, like "you're on fire today man!"

assuming i am interpreting its meaning correctly

Reaction score
    Oh look - My post has already gained me negative reputation by a user either not understanding or being a troll.
    Looks like the user removed them all now, but still goes to prove how easily this system can be abused.

Last edited:

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    All negative points have been removed, and switched to neutral or removed completely. Ratings will be adapted to further feedback.

I can only see how this will work when people start to abuse it or complain (politely please).

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Thinking about the rating of buttons, I think the 'old'/'outdated' button should be neutral too. And if it happens very often even neutral ratings pull down one's rating, giving people the need to inform themselves.(which is nothing bad, is it?)

Edit: issue was solved, while I was typing this message.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Thinking about the rating of buttons, I think the 'old'/'outdated' button should be neutral too. And if it happens very often even neutral ratings pull down one's rating, giving people the need to inform themselves.(which is nothing bad, is it?)
    Look above.

Reactions: Jaaskinal
    Reaction score
    All negative points have been removed, and switched to neutral or removed completely. Ratings will be adapted to further feedback.

I can only see how this will work when people start to abuse it or complain (politely please).
    Awesome - While I think this system is still a bit over the top, at least the abuse side of things is sorted.

Reactions: Jaaskinal
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Please remove all the useless types of ratings because "the clock" and "optimistic" are just as easily conveyed with words in a post.
    People will spam them all over posts they see. The combined issue of the hyper-active notification system on this site means people will get their inbox flooded with tons of "user XZ rainbowed your comment in Y thread" nonsense

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Please remove all the useless types of ratings because "the clock" and "optimistic" are just as easily conveyed with words in a post.
    People will spam them all over posts they see. The combined issue of the hyper-active notification system on this site means people will get their inbox flooded with tons of "user XZ rainbowed your comment in Y thread" nonsense
    So is a like just as easily displayed through a reply. But ratings means it is globally displayed on your profile similar to a like, indicating the quality of your posts, how helpful you are etc. Otherwise users would have to go through all your posts just to get that idea, this system will also integrate with the trophy and badge system.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Quite frankly, I think this is all a bit excessive.

A reply to a post would be better than just a little symbol at the bottom, and a lot more meaningful to a discussion. Let your words speak for you, not a little icon. Plus, the rep bar thing can lead to crap where a post is evaluated on who posted it, not what is posted. I've seen it a lot through the years on numerous forums where new members circlejerk around the guy who has big rep to fit in. One thing I really liked about this forum is that post count isn't displayed on a user's handle (except on profile page) and avoids the whole situation above. If we adopt the like/dislike thing, it pretty much just leads eventually to community censorship in a sense. Just because someone has a negative opinion doesn't mean they shouldn't speak it. Let's not make this a rubber playpen, hugbox, etc. whatever analogy floats your boat.

I'm not so big on the like button either, but I see no reason to get rid of it, because in all honesty it does more good than harm. But I wouldn't really mind if it was gone either.
    Posting a reply stating your disagreement is still very doable (this is a forum after all). But mass downing a users every post, as demonstrated by planr, shouldn't be doable. That's why I think the negative ratings should be removed or be made neutral (keep the neutral).

Edit: Those exact changes were made, just noticed.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold

Thank you, I believe this was the right course of action to take. Things like the "bad grammar" are good as long as it stays neutral.

Cheers for continual improvement :D

Reaction score
    So is a like just as easily displayed through a reply. But ratings means it is globally displayed on your profile similar to a like, indicating the quality of your posts, how helpful you are etc. Otherwise users would have to go through all your posts just to get that idea, this system will also integrate with the trophy and badge system.
    This all reminds me of the old saying, "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should..."

Personally, I still don't understand why the whole achievement and badge system is needed -- much less a dozen different ways to rate a post. Is a "carrot-on-a-stick" reward system really needed to keep people coming back and/or staying active here? And does all of this social media bling truly provide a user with a valid representation of the "quality" of a post or the "helpfulness" of another user? Sorry, but it all just looks like unnecessary clutter and meaningless fluff to me...

Reactions: Eelviny
    Reaction score
    I for one am basically just refusing to use anything other than the default "like" button that was perfectly adequate before.
    If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Reactions: Viridis00