New Propulsion system

Reaction score
    Currently propulsion is really simple especially compared to other systems. What I would like to see is propulsion working similar to how cars accelerate and their top speed. What I mean is remove or at least raise the speed cap and make the amount of thrusters not only determine acceleration but top speed as well. The more thrust per block/mass the faster your ship accelerates and the higher your top speed is. What would be best in my mind are at least two different thrusters, one to specialize in acceleration and one to specialize in top speed. You could have a very quick to accelerate slow ship or a very slow to accelerate ship with a very high top speed, You'd most likely want a balance of course but this could allow for some very interesting ships, atleast I think so.

Any flaws in this system or any ideas on how to make a better one?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I thought Overdrive was used to increase Maximum speed, meaning that what you are suggesting already exists more or less.

Reaction score
    I thought Overdrive was used to increase Maximum speed, meaning that what you are suggesting already exists more or less.
    In some way you are right but overdrive doesn't provide a basic thrust value it ONLY allows for a faster speed limit, I would just like to see some more diversity in the propulsion category

Reaction score
    Like grades of thrusters?
    Thats one way of putting it, first I would like to see different thrusters with their own advantages and disadvantages but I woud also like to see different levels of thrusters, more expensive but more powerful or efficient.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    It's already been determined by the dev team that having scaling thrusters with no cap could lead to some pretty bad results. Currently collisions at high speeds can cause ships to phase through and lag a server out. This is due to how often collisions are detected, in order to keep performance up.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    If you want such a system, simply set the server's speed limit ridiculously high without turning "spacefriction"(as it is called by some) off, the result will be pretty much what you described in the OP, the thrust:mass ratio determining the max-speed.

Reaction score
    actually, I kinda like it, as stated, we do have some similar functionality in starmade already, but by adding this as a layer... we could have ships that still hit the SERVER max speed, but drop the efficiency of standard engine blocks back.
    effectively, we'd be able to have ships specialized towards acceleration, or top speed, without seriously affecting gameplay,
    and the overdrive module can have it's effectiveness dropped to make people more likely to use the new engines.
    scale the engine blocks across, say 5 types, ranging from acceleration to top speed. and we are good. just leave the current engine block as the middle. and then we won't need to rebuild ships because of the new system, but we could re-fit them as desired still.
    although, i'm not sure how easy the dev's could do it...