New(possibly) idea for turret buff

Do you think this is a good idea, or just stupid, or do you have your own idea.

• Good idea! i want this!

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • I Have my own idea(post in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    turrets tend to have to be really big to be effective at all, many people have suggested in different ways that turrets have damage buffs(or not, i don't read the forms often, pls dont lynch),

i really hate that turrets have to be big to be effective, like, stupidly so, you cant really have a turret that looks good, or is small, or works, it's just really hard to find that balance and they have to be REALLY big to be effective at even killing small fighters, i propose a sort of enhanced overdrive block that would massively increase the damage of weapons it is linked to like 10-30 times(this isn't as big as it sounds especilly on really small turrets), with equally or nearly equally increased power consumption and other restrictions, i do think smaller turrets should get a bigger bonus with decreased addition power cons (still costing a lot more than it normally would, within reason to allow small anti fighter gunships to be able to power the guns without being op)

this would allow ships to be dedicated towards turrets without it only having say like two or four really big turrets, this makes gunships and anti fighter ships designed to rely on turrets much more possible than before

This could easily be created from existing code and blocks, and could be made to only work on turreted entities as an additional restriction, to prevent people from say, using it to supercharge their normal weapons and save space

Counterargument. ERMAGERD this would make turrets super powerful! a tiny ship with many turrets would instantly massacre my giant ubership! or a large ship could use this to supercharge their giant turrets and kill everything!

uh no, if the power requirement scales with the buff, then smaller turrets would have the same damage and power cost of a larger turret, allowing smaller or larger turret specialized ships to exist while being aesthetically pleasing, and if someone uses this on really big turrets with it to get a massive bonus to their turret, they're still limited by the massive power cost and would only be able to field one, two, or maybe three of them, and would be sacrificing their shielding, Armour, and space for other weapons, all for power generation for these weapons

this would allow smaller turrets to be capable of destroying small targets without being horribly overpowered against bigger ships(unless used en masse by an equally sized ship) this would allow for more ship designs with aesthetically pleasing(small) turrets that are actually capable of fighting of even small ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Horrible. Power blocks are dirt cheap compared to weapons blocks when it comes to salvaging and manufacturing. Imbalanced. Just no.

Have you really been playing this game for over 2 years, my friend?

Reactions: Az14el

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I think turrets are performing pretty damn well for our current AI targetting options.

very small turrets don't perform well for the same reason very small things in general don't perform well in this game. Surface area vs Volume. Our smallest possible "unit of measurement" being a full cubic meter in game.

Ultimately you're still talking about taking a huge amount of the block cost away from an already extremely efficient system (weapons are pretty much the most functional block for a single space you can get). Maybe im scared of losing my ebic big ships, maybe this is just not a well thought out idea.
    Either way I'd give turrets a bit more credit, they're the shit.

Reaction score
    Turret do not need to be shrunken. However, cross-entity secondary-and-tertiary linking would be very nice. That way, you retain the volume of a turret, but can "hide" more of it in your hull in a more efficient manner (battleship-esque turret citadel/barbette, rotates with the turret)

Reactions: Cornflakes