New players first large (10k+ mass) project

Reaction score
    Good Day.

I'm relatively new and in need of some help benchmarking progress on a large ship I'm trying to create. The idea is a large, flat turret platform with some missile support in addition to strong forward guns for taking out stationary targets or other ships of similar size, though I'm having an issue determining where I should be by way of power generation/capacity and shield output for something of that size. Are there any benchmarks for a 20-30k mass ship as far as performance that one should be getting as a baseline, or any sort of balance or ratio that would be considered good practice?

Current stats:
    19.9k mass
    21k thrust
    1.5m shield capacity
    4m Energy, 2.3m e/sec

Reaction score
    I don\'t have pics and will be able to give dimentions within a few minutes hopefully

L:376m, Roughly 200 blocks of this length is an elongated group of AMC\'s wrapped in a single layer of hull which is 25 blocks wide at it\'s widest point)
    H: 29m, Highest point, most of the ship is only 11blocks thick. It\'s basically a flying plate with a very long fork prong in the front.
    W:125m

Currently the design is just sort of flowing without a particular design end and may end up near the 600-800 length mark.

Reaction score
    it mostly depends on the AMC layout you\'ll be using but with the dimensions you got you can easily start off with hitting the softcap on 1mil e/sec and then build on to it as needed since there is no chain bonus after 1mil

tip power tanks are very usefull in this stage.

Reaction score
    Been using those quite a bit. My guns wouldn\'t fire without them. That said the guns look like an unimpresive twig at the end of the ship. I\'m not sure how they scale for what a ship that size should do, but should they get to the point of being sustainable the main group should do ~40k DPS if the numbers are what I understand them to be.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    More shields, if my mental picture of this ship is right. Even with the new update, shields go down pretty fast, and once they go down (especially against AI), its Bad News Bears.

Reaction score
    Got it up to 2.4 mill shields, but it looks like further would go beyond my intended mass range. I suppose I could scale back the power tanks a bit but not sure how much I\'d really stand to gain.

Reaction score
    I\'ve about completed this design as best I can for asking questions as late in the process as I did, but I have a few general questions for future builds to help make them better.

1. Is there any sort of guideline or rule of thumb for what a combat ship of any specific size/mass should have in shield/power/regen, or any general ratio people prefer to work with?

2. I\'ve read that damage output/AMC block is increased as the number of separate AMC groups increases. While I assume this would hold true for larger ships, are there particular reasons to desire larger groups or a specific range or damage output to work towards? Does the answer vary according to ship size? Was this info wrong to begin with?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    suggestions, press F6 while your screen is at a good angle for a picture of the ship and upload that to imageshack.com or photobucket.com. then use the picture embedding featuere on this forum to show us what you\'ve got so far. as far as i know you could have a 10k+mass ship composed of major rectangular prisms.

anyways, the ratios vary from builder to builder, and there\'s not neccesarily s restriction on it besides your need/usage. so if it\'s for fighting, you\'ll want to max out everything, but if it\'s just for cruising and fending off AI, then you\'ll be fine with a bit less.

and the information abotu AMC is correct. the more separate cannons connected to the same computer, the higher the draw per block of AMC. it\'s not easy to get a good balance of them; it\'s mostly trial and error. but to be on the safe side, go with fewer but larger cannons. large cannons have speed and range that larger ships tend to need. (you can\'t have a large ship that shoots a measly 350m distance, right?) if you do end up with too many cannons, link a few of them together. it will solve the issue most of the time.