New Player Archetype Role

diremage

Tech Wizard
    Reaction score
    May I ask what the TWR for your titan is?

Granted, a lot of titans have ridiculous dimensions like being 1+ kilometer long, and that really hurts their turn speed.

Reaction score
    Currently? about 42/43 (43k mass, and just slightly over 42k thrust)

"only" 302x170x180 in "overall" size, hullform restricts a lot of that.

diremage

Tech Wizard
    Reaction score
    Cool, I'm building something similar to that, I've got a 1.7 TWR atm. It turns pretty slow compared to a fighter but it does turn.

I'm also about 280 x 150 x 150 roughly, but I started my ship by plotting a 75-radius sphere so I'd have lots of internal room.

I also have pictures! Dire Cruiser Project

Reaction score
    *weird doublepost thing happened

[doublepost=1501894496,1501892520][/doublepost]
    Schine isn't likely to get another chance at attracting widespread public attention for this game
    they disagree.

Right now if you've got a 500k-mass ship and you're facing three 300k mass ships, yes, you're at a disadvantage. If you're facing three 150k mass ships you're going to roflstomp them.
    this is objectively wrong. the advantage of 3v1 outweighs 50k mass by... a lot.

I admit I am a little bit of a newbie, so why not share your experiences? I would really be interested in some anecdotes that substantiate your claim.
    i routinely kill ships much larger than my own 1v1, the force multiplier of having more of my ships would be huge.

In short, the alpha-titan strategy is a poor one. Even assuming it did work as you said, it could still be easily defeated just by replacing the 3 cruisers with a bunch of frigates, as the alpha-titan could still only take out one per reload, and doing so would remove a much smaller portion of total DPS.
    youre right, but almost all of the "top tier" pvp ships use high alpha builds. because they dont actually NEED to compete with the fleets numbers, since ai is easy to manipulate and funnel into doing what you want. they just focus on degrading enemy ship combat ability or outright killing it right away. i peronally use a more balanced approach, but the numbers speak for themselves.

but in SM it just tends to break down due to lack of single shot devastation capability
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304628249642926081/341867667751174144/lololol.gif

300k ship 1 round killing a much larger, tankier 500k high end pvp ship.

diremage

Tech Wizard
    Reaction score
    *weird doublepost thing happened

[doublepost=1501894496,1501892520][/doublepost]

they disagree.
    Well, they might not be wrong, but they probably are. There -are- MMOs that can milk their users for cash for decades on end, but Starmade is not one of them. Not even close. Schine is delusional if it thinks it's going to ever premier as a big $60 game with a fancy IPO and retire as gazillionaires. There is no path from the dog and pony show they're currently running to that scenario.

this is objectively wrong. the advantage of 3v1 outweighs 50k mass by... a lot.

i routinely kill ships much larger than my own 1v1, the force multiplier of having more of my ships would be huge.
    OK, so you've established that you're an 'above average' pvper but be honest, if three scrubs showed up and tried to gank you, would the outcome go well for them? That touches on another problem though, people tend not to team up in starmade because three times out of four there's nobody to play with.

youre right, but almost all of the "top tier" pvp ships use high alpha builds. because they dont actually NEED to compete with the fleets numbers, since ai is easy to manipulate and funnel into doing what you want. they just focus on degrading enemy ship combat ability or outright killing it right away. i peronally use a more balanced approach, but the numbers speak for themselves.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304628249642926081/341867667751174144/lololol.gif

300k ship 1 round killing a much larger, tankier 500k high end pvp ship.
    Not sure what you're trying to prove with that other than that surprise counts for more than ship mass to a degree. I have heard that the kind of ship you were targeting takes about 15 seconds to get its first volley off, which it didn't have a chance to do.

Reaction score
    if three scrubs showed up and tried to gank you, would the outcome go well for them?
    no. but if 3 experienced players in super well built ships did, that would give them a huge advantage.

ot sure what you're trying to prove with that other than that surprise counts for more than ship mass to a degree. I have heard that the kind of ship you were targeting takes about 15 seconds to get its first volley off, which it didn't have a chance to do.
    the point is that "single shot devastation" is not an issue, whether its 1 shot or 50.

Well, they might not be wrong, but they probably are.
    i agree with you here. theyve made their stance pretty clear through discussion though.