Recognized New Paint and Color System

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'd like to start off by saying, I don't like the way we currently acquire paint. It just never felt right to me. Granted it works, but to me it never felt right. Here are the reason I take issue with it:

1. Sometimes the capsules you need for your paint, are better used for other needs.

2. You MUST color the gray hull block first. You cannot for example color a standard armor block. At least not as far as I am aware.

3. You cannot repaint a block. Say you painted it red and decided you want it black, or maybe white. You can't just repaint it with more paint.

4. The manufacturing process for colored hull/armor feels intuitive.

SO. What magical feature can fix this? I believe the solution is in the Flora/Fauna portion of the game.

How? glad you asked.

I suggest implementing Slime farming. You know those little smiles that are in many MMO's? Or maybe you know them from Slime Rancher? Well what if certain color of smiles could spawn on certain types of planets. You could ether murder them for a fast "Colored Slime" cash in. OR You could build a farm on the appropriate planet type, and gradually collect their slime for use in making paint.

Think of this idea as being similar to wool in MC. You could kill the sheep to get some wool, or you could setup a farm and get more long term results. Then add in the fact you would have to have in your control, at least a few planet types to provide for the smiles. With the 12 current colors (Excluding the standard Gray) and each type of world being able to sustain say 3 types of slime's. A player could in theory have every color if they had the right 4 planets claimed.

This is assuming that each color will have a separate slime. I guess for teal we could combine blue/white slime to get teal slime instead, and use that for teal paint. But it could be fun to have to breed blue and white slime's to get teal ones too. But it really doesn't matter all that much overall TBH.

One last thing players would need, would be a "Painting Factory" or whatever you want to call it. They would work similar to factory's except that you could chose the hull/armor you want to paint, and what color you want to paint it. So for example you could select White Tetra's and then select Orange for the color to paint them. Then as long as it has paint, and White Tetra's supplied to it, it will convert them. The "Painting Factory" should also be the tool that crafts paint from slime. The Painting Factory would be built from the basic factory.

Factories would produce whatever kind of hull/armor like normal, except they could use ANY color hull to produce an upgraded version of it. This being the case they likely would need to be able to select the proper blocks to use when upgrading hull to armor to advanced armor.

One added benefit of making smiles require specific planet types for long term survival, is that players would have to defend those planets. Other players could then try to disrupt the flow of paint, which would slow down the construction of blueprints that their enemies produce. Thus causing a way to attack a players infrastructure.

*This suggestion is dependent on the Flora/Fauna foundation that is supposed to be implemented into Starmade, which may or may not allow for this suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Honestly, this is too complex of an idea.

What I want to see is everybody move beyond paint as a concept entirely, and its eventual removal from the game. Just let us collect resources without worrying about how much damn color we need. Imagine how fantastic it would be to just input the total amount of hull you need for a blueprint.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Deleted original post because I got two of Kiraen's completely useless and nearly identical posts confused.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Dude, please stop this. His suggestion is different then the one in the megathread and you absolutely know it is. Your contribution to discussion is without substance.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ability to paint hull blocks in different colors without having to select the right normal/standard/advanced versions manualy. This is something that was suggested multiple times,but with >current< limitations it cant be so easily implemented. But the Team does like this feature and will look into it in the future.
    The system is different, the concept has been repeated over and over again.
    This entire thread is bloat.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    well jstenholt I think its more complex on paper then it would be in practice. The idea boiled down, would be MC sheep (but using space slimes) That you get color from. Each type can only survive permanently on certain planet types.

The other bits are more how the factories might work. Basic I also wanted to make it so you didn't have to supply a spacific colored block to make the next tier, and you could recolor the blocks.

Now I could agree that getting use to farming Slime's would be another system to learn. But the Dev's have said that farming will be a thing eventually. So I figured this would end up fitting in when that portion was implemented.

As to Kirean, Did you miss the part where farming was involved? That is nowhere in the other suggestion. AND its a big part of my post. Because I'm not just suggesting that we add the ability to do what the others suggested, I'm also suggestion a complete change in how the resources are obtained. I suppose I should have omitted the overlap, and made a better title. But FSM #30 does NOT cover the main premise of the thread. I do agree that my presentation of said idea may have been misleading. Would you like me to redo my OP to make it easier to understand what I was trying to get at? This is kinda what happens when I type an idea out without any drafting of what I want to say.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1457971478,1457971190][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Although the concept may be the same, the way something is implemented (The system) can make a HUGE impact on a game. Imagine if for example the building system didn't have advanced build mode. That method of implementing building was a massive part of Starmade. I don't think many of us would enjoy this game as much if we had to place only 1 block at a time.

The same can be said for how colors are implemented. The method that is used can have drastic and far reaching consequences in game play. For instance, in mine it means you actually have to use planets for something. and other players could attempt to disrupt your flow of supplies because of it. Unlike mining where the only way currently to stop it is to find that player and blow em up. Now you can just attack their infrastructure. Does that come into play with the other suggestions?

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yup, reading. It's a basic skill.
    And I'd like to add, once again, that Kirean, despite what he may think of himself, is not the Starmade forum's final authority on what is and is not bloat, with the further suggestion that he might do well to remove his head from his own ass.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    SkylordLuke said:
    Frequent Suggestions Mega-thread
    we have a lot of suggestions posted here every day,and we would love to provide for a full list of frequently posted suggestions to eliminate/decrease duplicate suggestions! [List will be updated as we go..]
    I never said I was the final authority. Now you are reading things that aren't even there. For the record, I don't think SkylordLuke is a final authority either, but he's closer then I am. And he can read.

I find it interesting how you get aggressive when you are wrong.
    Perhaps this will help.

Moving on...