New logo

Reaction score
    Current logo is overcomplicated and frankly doesn't look all that good. Using my knowledge with Inkscape I've made new one which IMO look better. It presents just as good against white as against black background.

I don't care if you use it or not. Just consider it.

Source svg: http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/82780612/file.html

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    as a graphic designer myself i personally prefer the current logo because it works not only as a logo but as a desktop icon. this is important because it makes the game quick to find and keeps brand consistency. additionally the current logo can be used as either a text base logo or icon based logo due to the imagery used in its design.

you have done a good job to come up with a new design but i feel that the current logo works really well already.

Reaction score
    Icon? That simple. StarMade star. And I don\'t think it\'d look so good when scaled down to 32x32 (standard icon size).

Reaction score
    Doesn\'t really look like a real logo to me compared to the original, rather just text, sorry to burst your bubble. Even though some companies/games choose to have text as a logo, having an actual icon is always better and more recognizable than having just some fancy text.

That text you provide is already in the actual logo, but on the bottom though, and looks more precise and less inconsistent, kinda fitting the high-tech theme, where things are precise and symmetric (I\'m specifically looking at your m, and the m in the logo).

The ship in the original logo actually represents what the game is about. It\'s about space (star) and ships (the ship itself). If you look, the space ship is segmented as well, so it also gives a hint of customizability and being able to shape your own stuff, and the lasers also show the game has combat.

Only thing I get from your logo at the other hand is that it is space-related, though the original logo puts the emphasis on other important things too.

I also somehow dislike the glow... It doesn\'t seem to fit with a black outline, maybe use shadow instead, would still do well on both dark and bright backgrounds.

Say you would make this more iconic. Try to take the StarMade star, fancy it up a bit (decent size and all, maybe some ship details), and then put SM in it perhaps, to see how that turns out.

That\'s my 2 cents, hope it was of any use.

Reaction score
    The problem with that logo is that is... quite forgetable and bland. Look at Minecraft\'s, Terraria\'s or Starbound\'s logos. True, those are almost pure text, but at the same time they\'re one of more iconic logos in history of games and you really remember them. Now look at StarMade\'s. I bet that after few minutes not looking at it, you\'ll forget how it does EXACTLY look. It\'s just too complex for puny human brain to process.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    true minecraft has a good logo but this isn\'t minecraft nor is starbound.

starmade my be similar to minecraft but the two are like apples and oranges.

the other thing you need to remember is we are gamers! we are not the average humans and have a different way of seeing the universe (see what i did there XD ). when we love something like a game, we will remember everything about it including the logo. to some that logo will be an icon of their culture and showing it off to their friends will be an act of gaining respect and popularity just like with any other game.

Reaction score
    I really think anyone could remember the current starmade logo pretty easily, I mean it has \"Starmade\" on it and has a nice, orginal looking ship there.

Reaction score
    What ship?

The only thing I see is weird shape. The only thing I remember about it is that it has Starmade\'s name on it. And maybe star thing. And logo needs to be distilled to those two things, which I done.

Reaction score
    Starmade already has a decent logo. It\'s aesthetically pleasing, simple and works as a desktop icon to boot.

To be an absolute bastard (and say what everyone\'s thinking), your design seems like a rushed job. Pretty much every character is deformed in some way (how can you screw up a T ?) and isn\'t easy to look at. Having no defined contrast doesn\'t help either.

Look at the logos of some major companies. Most, if not all, have some other graphic or background along with the text. Hell, even FedEx has a contrast with the colours of its text. The different colours draw your eye, as does a stylised jaguar or a blue bird. There\'s a big business surrounding graphic design, and your offering is barely up to scratch.

Just let it go. To change the logo now would probably anger a lot of people, especially since there\'s nothing wrong with the current one.

FYI, the weird shape IS the ship. Look at an Isanth, there\'s a strong resemblance.

Reaction score
    The ship, shooting out lasers from the cannons on the wings...

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I too studied design. The current starmade logo is memorable, which is very good for logos. The fact that the logo serves as the actual title of the game also is good. Like others said, it can be read as a title or seen as the icon for the game. And to be fair I dont think the logo will change so soon if ever at all. They have already had a contest to see if anyone could build a ship from the logo. The text logo you presented still has some of the curve that is in the original icon, but I feel like it looses its seriousness. The logo we currently have is a square, all of it is filled with either text or elements to represent the space ship. It perfectly represents what it is. Your logo looks less focused on the idea of starships and is just plain text. Odd text at that.