New lock-on missile bug?

Reaction score
    i just came back to starmade to have a look at the latest build. After playing for i while i found a new bug. Very often my lock-on missiles (missile/beam) fly into completely different directions than where the target is. This basically renders a whole weapon system close to useless. Anyone else experiencing the same with this weapon system?

Reactions: Ixalite

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yep, a percentage of missiles go completely crazy and fly off in the distance like "Nope, f*** this s**t, I'm out." Only on manual lock tho (beam or pulse slave) and turrets seem to not have that problem.

Reaction score
    ok, thanks... at least i know its not only me or some client side issue..

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also, seems to be that the percentage of haywire missiles depends on the mass of the target. I haven't encountered a single case of missile-go-crazy on targets larger than 1-1.5K mass (haven't done a complete scaling test, just used my own designs of mass ranges roughly incremented by 500 each ship) So yea you'll have a miss chance on Isanths (and they are hard to hit with missiles even if they track anyway, because the large turn radius and tracking algorhytm makes it hard for them to hit small moving targets) but they are still among your best bets on hitting large targets (custom pirates and other player ships)

For hitting small ships, I suggest beams for easier targeting, even though they work best in the same sector as the target. A partial (5-10%) stop effect makes it even easier.

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    This sounds like an old sector-border issue, where if the target was a little across a sector boundry the missiles would take a strange path to get to target.
    Back when I last saw it, I managed to pin it down to across sector border, with rotating sectors turned on, in small(less than 5km) sector sizes. Does this sound like what you noticed?

Reaction score
    It also happens when you are really close to the target and in the same sector. The missile unfortunatly doesnt even take a strange path to get to the target, but it just flies off into the distance. From what i can tell so far, this seems like a new bug. As Matt_Bradock already pointed out, it somehow has sth to do with the targets mass. The more mass, the less likely for it to happen basically.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Missiles go nuts if the target's core moves too rapidly so far as I can tell, this is of course going to happen more with some ships than others depending on the distance between the core and the COM. I come to this conclusion after discovering that the bug can be replicated with 100% reliability by rapidly rotating a core:

Reaction score
    *Bump on this one. I just came back to the game after a long hiatus. Built a new with lock-on missiles and they fly in any direction but the one the enemy is in. Never home in, just circle off in some random direction. Distance has no effect, short, med or long, they exhibit the same behavior. Also, it doesn't matter if it's a ship or a station I'm shooting at. Any fixes on this?

Reactions: Ixalite
    Reaction score
    Yep, a percentage of missiles go completely crazy and fly off in the distance like "Nope, f*** this s**t, I'm out." Only on manual lock tho (beam or pulse slave) and turrets seem to not have that problem.
    you can force this to happen 100% of the time, even with those combos.

Also, seems to be that the percentage of haywire missiles depends on the mass of the target. I haven't encountered a single case of missile-go-crazy on targets larger than 1-1.5K mass
    you can force this to happen on targets upwards of 50k mass, havent tried highre, but i imagine itd work.

This sounds like an old sector-border issue, where if the target was a little across a sector boundry the missiles would take a strange path to get to target.
    its not the same bug at all.

Missiles go nuts if the target's core moves too rapidly so far as I can tell, this is of course going to happen more with some ships than others depending on the distance between the core and the COM. I come to this conclusion after discovering that the bug can be replicated with 100% reliability by rapidly rotating a core:
    this new bug happens against stationary targets as well. its WAY worse than old missiles bugs.

you can fire 4 missiles at a 10k mass stationary target from 300 meters dead center of sector, and have all 4 veer off into nowhere and never come back. depending on the exact circumstances, you can repeat this 4 missile volley 100 times, and have all 400 missiles veer off into nowhere with 0 hits.

Reactions: Agame3

Ckeeze

innovator
    Reaction score
    you can fire 4 missiles at a 10k mass stationary target from 300 meters dead center of sector, and have all 4 veer off into nowhere and never come back. depending on the exact circumstances, you can repeat this 4 missile volley 100 times, and have all 400 missiles veer off into nowhere with 0 hits.
    soo this is pretty much my picture exept it can happen a million times in a row for some players... wow that's awfull...

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    you can force this to happen 100% of the time, even with those combos.

you can force this to happen on targets upwards of 50k mass, havent tried highre, but i imagine itd work.

its not the same bug at all.

this new bug happens against stationary targets as well. its WAY worse than old missiles bugs.

If you can give detailed info about the bug (you seem to know a lot about it, which all can be very valuable info for testers) then please do. Either contact one of the devs/testers or write a detailed report on Phabricator.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Seconding this: same situation, picked up the game again and built a basic ship with lock-on missiles (some missile + beam, Some missile + pulse) I found that about 80% of missiles fired completely ignored the target, moving off at 90 degrees. Hope the weapons update fixes this.

Reactions: Agame3