New Jump Drive Effect?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Currently the jump drive uses pretty much the Star Wars effect for the jump, in that the ship stretches out and vanishes at a point, then pretty much just re-appears at the destination point.

I'd like to see it spiced up a little. My favorite alternative on the stretchy jump? A portal jump.

As seen in Farscape:

And even Steven Universe:

Make it look more like we're actually tearing a hole through space and time instead of just going really really fast (since it is an instantaneous process, its not like we're sitting in hyperspace/at warp for extended periods).

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I like this idea, it would work well with this, too. As I doubt a station would be able to interdict a ship that's technically bending the paper to go from A to B instead of drawing a line really fast.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like this idea, it would work well with this, too. As I doubt a station would be able to interdict a ship that's technically bending the paper to go from A to B instead of drawing a line really fast.
    How about having the jump drive portal require a couple seconds to charge up once activated (like Moya's starburst), and in the mean time a portal entity spawns at the destination point.

Portal exit has 1 hp, like missiles.

If you destroy the exit portal with weapons fire, the portal is closed and the jump fails. The jumping ship is left sitting where it was with the energy spent being lost (hey, you opened the portal, you spent that energy, thats the risk you take for jumping into hostile territory).

Means a station could shoot down an exit portal with existing turrets without needing a new block type.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    How about having the jump drive portal require a couple seconds to charge up once activated (like Moya's starburst), and in the mean time a portal entity spawns at the destination point.

If you destroy the exit portal with weapons fire, the portal is closed and the jump fails. The jumping ship is left sitting where it was with the energy spent being lost (hey, you opened the portal, you spent that energy, thats the risk you take for jumping into hostile territory).

Means a station could shoot down an exit portal with existing turrets without needing a new block type.
    If the portal exit also took sun damage, it would be impossible to jump close to stars, which could be favourable.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I dont really have anything to add here other than the fact that this sounds really good....i really like the idea of the portal entity.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!

So long as the portal entrance wasn't destructible, the current Jump Inhibitor should maintain its use. I really like the idea of the exit being easy to destroy, this would really make jumping more of a strategic thing than before.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Agreed. I was afraid to ask for this myself since the main focus of my forum-agenda is to streamline the player-experience. Here is one place where I think the transition could be drawn out a bit to make it seem more epic. Even just extending the current effect for a second or two may work.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd like if warp-space loads system-data on sector-objects.
    System-data would be reduced to mass, size (a few integers per entity and a few entities per sector).

If a sector has too many entities or too much mass, you drop out of hyperspace near it.

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Connect the first one and the second one and I think that'd look incredibly dramatic! =)
    Combining Wave-Motion and Gamilas technology:? That could be dangerous.......

That actualy gives me an idea XD A type of warp drive that requires you to be traveling equal to or greater than a certian velocity to initiate.
    That would require ships to get up to speed and could involve some pretty cool effects ^_^ plus being more diverse than just "press and hold a button". It could also *potentially* be charged based on the ships current speed.

More warp types and effects would be fantastic in Starmade, thank you for suggesting this ^_^

Reactions: kiddan

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If the portal exit also took sun damage, it would be impossible to jump close to stars, which could be favourable.
    That would be ideal, actually. Mechanic that lets stations/other ships stop a ship from jumping in right on top of them with a side benefit of making it impossible to jump into a star? Thats win win in my book.

Would also mean that you COULD jump right on top of a station/ship if you really wanted to, simply by having decoy ships either go in manually to draw fire, or have a bunch of small jump ships spam into the sector at the same time just prior to the main ship jumping. Overwhelm jump defense with too many targets and hope your main ship punches through.

And if not, well the jumper doesn't really lose anything but the time required to recharge their jump drives.

Current jump inhibitors would still stop you from jumping out, proper defensive turrets stop you from jumping in, which means a lot more battlefield control options.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    One thing, though. Should exit portals say what faction/what faction relation they are? If not, players would have to be cautious about whether they shoot a portal exit or not, and I can't figure out if that would be good or bad overall.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think it shouldn't, mainly because that would be dependent on the faction actually communicating when they are coming in. The portal itself should default to the faction assigned to the ship generating the portal so that turrets dont fire on it if its friendly.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    One thing, though. Should exit portals say what faction/what faction relation they are? If not, players would have to be cautious about whether they shoot a portal exit or not, and I can't figure out if that would be good or bad overall.
    I'd say yes so that automated defenses can be used. If they aren't faction aligned, turrets can't shoot them down.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'd say yes so that automated defenses can be used. If they aren't faction aligned, turrets can't shoot them down.
    Thats kind of what I was saying. The portal doesnt need to inform the players, but it should have a faction alignment based on the faction of the ship generating it.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Thats kind of what I was saying. The portal doesnt need to inform the players, but it should have a faction alignment based on the faction of the ship generating it.
    Ah, then yeah. No faction announcement of "Somebody is trying to jump into your system", just leave the "A friendly/neutral/hostile entity has entered your system" message after they get there like it is now.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Goosebumps_______:rolleyes:
    Seriously though, something like that would be amazing. We already have some very nice looking textures in-game and every star you can see as a tiny dot you can travel too (pretty cool how they show up like that).
    I would love a fast-travel device like that, with the current jump-drive being a short range instantaneous jump between two systems.
    To activate this 'hyperspace warp thing' you might have to point your ship in the required direction and accelerate up to speed before entering warp :3

Reactions: Lukwan

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    lol That'd be funny, enter the jump portal while someone kills the other end. At that point it should cause massive ship-wide damage and spit you out somewhere along the jump path or just kill you and the ship outright. :)