New Game Mode

Reaction score
    So, I have been looking through the forums and I have seen a suggestion(s) for moveable ship cores. I like this idea because I think it would help novice and intermediate builders to build better ships since you don't have to plan out your ship in advance and can focus on making it "cool".

However as some have said this would be highly exploitable as players could simply jump into build mode during combat and relocate the core. (even though you still can spawn a 10x10x10 block around your core in combat)

I have a suggestion which i think could solve both...

A new game mode: "The Shipyard"

Ok so the idea being that its pretty much starmade "creative mode" You spawn into a blank universe (no shops,mobs,planets,stars,etc). You are given an expanded intentory with all available blocks in game and an unlimited supply of them. In this mode you can simply "spawn" a "ship" with basically any block (much like a station) and can add a ship core afterward. You will have access to the catalog via your inventory. Once you are done building you can simply catalog your ship and buy it in game. This will allow you to build cool looking ships without having to have an engineering degree. It will also prevent any exploiting.

Additionally, you can have a menu which can activate "test mode" which would allow you to enter into flight mode and select from the catalog any number of enemy ships to battle, OR, spawn an asteroid/planet/station to either blow up or mine.

This would allow you to build and optimize your ships without fear of bad planning or pirate raiding or griefing.

Also; (i dont know if this is possible), but, you could spawn any type of game entity shop/planet/station/asteroid and build custom game entities and can place them in a seperate "catalog" of sorts and the game could then draw from THOSE designs as well. just to add some variance to the universe.

Reaction score
    I like it a lot! I didnt find any problems with it, would alow people to move the core without shifting the entire ship down relative to the core

Reaction score
    Thanks,

I\'m not a coder so I can\'t claim to know if this would even be possible given that the \"core\" is essentially the ship... But nontheless, I thought it\'d be a novel idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Awesome. This would quite possibly take a lot of work, but would make starmade just that much better.

Reaction score
    I think that this would be a good idea..would also allow to create custom maps.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Your knowledge is the limit in programming. Everything is possible, but other things are harder to do.

Reaction score
    Duely noted. I meant possible, as in, it wouldnt take an overhaul of the schine engine and 5 years of development to achieve. Id like to see this feature but if its just too much work i can live without.

Reaction score
    everything here is awesome. if it worked right, you could make shops that you can dock to to protect your ships.

just imagine, a massive shop functioning as a meeting place for all of the factions of a server. nearly impervious to damage and a (usually) safe zone from pirates for them to have diplomatic meetings. and it won\'t end up like star wars episode 1: the phantom menace.

Reaction score
    Thank you for your input. Yes i like that idea as well. Perhaps you could somehow modify the sector its in to be a safe zone at all times so no pirates can attack and all weapons systems cannot operate. And perhaps maybe some type of special \"trading\" block to where you could trade materials/blueprints/ships/possibly faction owned planets/asteroids/stations to other players/factions? That would be cool to implement. Some type of exchange system rather than the new shop block only?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This Idea is amazing! Being a previous Minecraft player, the idea seems almost fitting to me. It lets you design ships the way you want, practice with them, and not risk your actual materials and hard earned credits on something useless!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    +1

This sounds awesome, as I am currently building a dreadnought and having constant pirate attacks as well as constant commands to give me the stuff I want is a bit tedious.

Reaction score
    this idea is fine if you only are trying to make cool ships, but what about economy and manufacturing elements of the game? if you had unlimited resources in shipyard mode then just had to buy ship from shop, it makes most of the economy and manufacturing pointless. plus, what is the problem with being attacked while building? seems like that is a legitamate aspect of the game that you would be vulnerable when your ship is not made yet, even though it is inconvenient.

Reaction score
    Well yeah to some degree this would make some of those features null and void BUT as ut stands. The economy and productuon are virtually pointless anyway. If i were the dev id begin implementing some of the ideas mentioned on tjis forum about making ships spawn in slowly plus requiring the purchaser to have all needed materials on hand to actually buy the blueprint. In that way you can build as you wish but still need to generate the resources to \"build\" it in game

Reaction score
    There are better ways, but one that is easily understandable is you build on a core then the game makes a new ship with the same data but a different core location.

Reaction score
    Hmmm well that makes some sense to me. So i could build my ship leaving the core wherever and then the game will replicate it without a core and then i can place the core?